Author Topic: email address help  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
email address help
« on: February 02, 2015, 08:28:58 PM »
I have been with talktalk forever and they are costing me a fortune, the only reason I have not changed is I think of all the 'stuff' I have used my email address to register for COL for one  ;) but also online banking, mortgage, insurances  etc. and I am guessing if I move to a new provider I will lose my existing email and have to notify everyone of the change, and might miss emails as well.  Has anyone done this and is it as difficult as I am thinking.

Also someone said I could buy my own email address and just use that permanently so in the future if I swop provider again I can still use the same email address and don't have to go through this again - is this right and how do I do it?

Any advice, tips help very gratefully received  :D

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Re: email address help
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:44:15 PM »
http://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/My-Account-Billing/What-happens-to-my-email-address-if-I-leave-TalkTalk/td-p/962044

This might have the answer. In terms of another email, you could just get a free hotmail one.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »
sign up for one with hotmail, then you can set it up to intercept your talktalk emails as well so you read them via hotmail. then you can in your own time change them all to hotmail address then leave talktalk at end of contract.
I have both a hotmail account and talktalk , the only thing to remember, to reply to a talktalk email you will need to do it via proper account. I find that answering a talktalk email through hotmail just get returned.

hope this makes sense  :D
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 09:22:28 PM »
I was exactly the same. My Talk talk email was so old it was @tiscali, which was the previous company who TalkTalk bought out. I got so fed up of their service that I finally swapped about 18 months ago. I just set up a Gmail address so I should hopefully never have to change it again. I took my time changing everything over, making banks and bills etc the first priority. Just in case you are worried about forgetting anything, they have never closed my email account down and I can still log in to check emails even now. To be honest, it was great to switch as the amount of junk email I used to get was ridiculous as I'd had that address years.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 09:23:39 PM »
I moved from Talktalk to PlusNet about 3 years ago and I've had much better service from them. When they changed some of their packages last year they phoned me and told me there was now a cheaper one I could move to that fitted my internet usage, and switched me to the new, cheaper package there and then when I gave them the go ahead. I don't think many providers do things like that.

On the very rare occasions I've had a problem I've been able to speak to someone in the UK and get a solution. Sorry to say that Talktalk's foreign call centre let me down every time I had to use it.

I had to change my email address when I made the move, but it wasn't too much hassle.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 10:11:54 PM »
I have a Google email account and find they are very good at filtering Spam, Junk and so forth, very handy, I can also use it without probs on my little mobile device when I go on hols.

I have Sky as my TV supplier, and Talktalk for phone & broadband - but thinking with all the deals about I should consider changing...it is probably costing me more than necessary, but  having them separate meant that if I needed to, I could do without Sky, but deffo not Broadband and therefore COL.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 11:09:53 PM »
Thanks everyone, think I will go for it, I have been looking at plusnet they have some good offers.
 :D