Author Topic: Anyone changed from PC to Mac?  (Read 6504 times)

Offline fionad

Anyone changed from PC to Mac?
« on: November 03, 2015, 09:23:16 AM »
My dear old Dell died earlier this year and my son suggested the way to go was a MacBook Air. It's supposed to be THE thing to have.I want to throw it out of the upstairs window, it's so annoyingly awkward to use.

I've given it six months to get used to it but it's driving me and OH up the wall.

Anyone else having difficulties?

Offline mcinnd

• Donator
Re: Anyone changed from PC to Mac?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 10:36:48 AM »
As a soon to retire IT Manager, 3rd December I can't understand why anyone would opt for fruit based computing.
Stick with Windows and move to 10 as it's streets better than 8.1.

David
Dolly & Silkie

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 01:41:41 PM »
Yes. Years ago now and I've never looked back. Initially I just thought oh my God, what have I done but after a day or so I got used to it very fast. Everything is just easier and more intuitive. The trick is to forget everything Windows!  Think what would be the easiest and most logical way to do something and that will probably work. If you have to use Windows at work then I can imagine that trying to use both would be tricky. It probably depends on what you want to do with it but I can't stand Windows now!! Everything Apple in this house.  :D

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 04:39:45 PM »
Yes, when our windows desktop died we bought a mac, what a beautiful machine. Also have an ipad. My laptop is still a windows, running seven, and it is soooooo slow and clunky compared to apple. I wouldn,t have another windows machine if it was giftwrapped.

Yes, it takes a while to grt used to the way it works, but it so much faster and intuitive.

Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 04:56:56 PM »
My OH bought an iMac - beautiful looking machine but he isn't keen at all - has had it for about 2 years now.

I have a laptop with Windows 8 - upgraded it to Windows 10 and it began running REALLY slowly - it's only 6 months old. Went back to Windows 8 and it's fine- no idea why  :huh:
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 09:23:31 PM »
I switched quite a few years ago and still have the same laptop upgraded to apples latest operating system (which are free) and it's still working fine.
It's lasted much longer than any Windows machine I've had.
Misty 3.6.2011 - 1.11.2016

Offline fionad

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 11:11:13 PM »
Thanks for taking time to reply. I guess I am not techno minded. Yes its quick to load up but I have great difficulty finding my recently added photos having to scroll all through my entire collection to get to the newest ones. The there is no print button.  I take ages to find where my scanned documents are. My e mail takes so long to send/receive that I have to go through G mail site and then I can't swap and change how I view them, ie in date order or by sender which was useful when I wanted to clear down.

I have to keep searching the internet for answers to my problems with it and it is soooooooooo frustrating. Yes I have Ipad and I phone too which I get on OK with. Another thing is the Macbook Air show messages from my phone. I don't want them broadcast in this way but can I find a way to stop them? No.

Still I am stuck with it for the forseeable future so I'll have to get used to it and all it's awkward processes.

Rant over. ;)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 11:25:20 PM »
Is there an Apple Store near you? If so, then they run free workshops where you can learn how to do things. Might help?

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 07:35:12 AM »
Is there an Apple Store near you? If so, then they run free workshops where you can learn how to do things. Might help?

Just what I was going to suggest. They are well worth accessing.

I swapped a few years ago & certainly wouldn't go back - though Windows at work😒
One of the biggest things for me is the lack of issues re virus'. Had lots of problems with virus on PC.

STICK WITH IT😃😃
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Offline fionad

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 08:56:58 AM »
Thank you Archiebean and Pipkoi. I guess it's back to school for me!

I think I was so comfortable with my Dell that it was only the fact that it broke that made me change. Perhaps I'm lazy in not wanting to change but I do find that the Apple is just not user friendly. Too many icons and obscure key commands.Just give me plain English written words please!

I've had the Mac for about six months now.Perhaps in another six months I might have got to grips with it! (or bought a new Dell, but won't tell my son, ha ha!)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 09:47:28 PM »
Have you considered a user's guide - Which do lots and they might have one for AppleMac's

or this might help get you started: http://www.everymac.com/mac-manuals/index-mac-manuals.html

My first computer many years ago, sat in the corner of the room for a fortnight before I found the nerve to turn it on - in case I broke it   :fear2: :013:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 11:22:05 PM »
My OH bought an iMac - beautiful looking machine but he isn't keen at all - has had it for about 2 years now.

I have a laptop with Windows 8 - upgraded it to Windows 10 and it began running REALLY slowly - it's only 6 months old. Went back to Windows 8 and it's fine- no idea why  :huh:

I have a Sony Vaio laptop and desktop and Sony advised NOT to upgrade to Windows 10 as it's been tested and not compatible 'yet' with their hardware, so I'm sticking with Windows 8.1 for now until they give me the go ahead

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 02:26:54 PM »
Pass it to Annalise, she'll have it sussed in no time  ph34r :005: