Author Topic: Which Is The BEST Dry Food?  (Read 5578 times)

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
Re: Which Is The BEST Dry Food?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 11:17:56 AM »
We moved Ziggy from Royan Canin onto Canagan which he seems to like and it is grain free.

I changed Kez on to Canagan salmon & trout, when we were trying to determine what was making her itch, it made no difference to the itching;   But the "wind" was terrible,  :o  because I liked the ingredients  I now mix 1/2 & 1/2 with Arden Grange & the occasional raw for breakfast & the wind as almost gone (just occasionally).
Do any other  doggys suffer with this problem !  I assumed it was the sweet potato.

regards from Julie & Kez

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 11:20:31 AM »
We moved Ziggy from Royan Canin onto Canagan which he seems to like and it is grain free.

I can also recommend Canagan - my two have been on it for a few months and love it :D They will send you a money off voucher if you contact them to try it out. 
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 11:23:48 AM »

I changed Kez on to Canagan salmon & trout, when we were trying to determine what was making her itch, it made no difference to the itching;   But the "wind" was terrible,  :o  because I liked the ingredients  I now mix 1/2 & 1/2 with Arden Grange & the occasional raw for breakfast & the wind as almost gone (just occasionally).
Do any other  doggys suffer with this problem !  I assumed it was the sweet potato.

No wind problems here :005: Mine have the chicken though...
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline esme1717

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 12:12:57 PM »
Mine also have the chicken one and no wind!!

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »
Mine also have the chicken one and no wind!!

Interesting......at the time I was trying NO chicken & No grain...........it didn't seem to work for the itching, so we are back to "what-ever"
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 04:14:49 PM »
Dylan is on Barking Heads Puppy Days. I think that if you avoid the 'meat derivative' path and go for whole ingredients, it just comes down to preference. After all dogs are scavengers and can thrive on all sorts. I do think manufacturers jump on the health bandwagon and owners get unnecessarily stressed over feeding their dogs. My vet reckons that fewer good quality ingredients are better than many, to avoid allergies.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline honeysmummy

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 10:46:54 PM »
Hi,

I'm only a week into my little Cockerdile but she's being transferred over onto Eden as we speak and already her stinky breath and 7 poos a day are down to a non stinky breath and four lovely firm poos (good grief! Glam topic!).

However, I've been warned by a behaviourist to watch after she's about 12 months because the high protein content, once she's finished growing, can lead to crazy excess energy levels which as we all know, Cockers have plenty going no spare anyway ha ha!

I'll keep a little eye on her but it's around 40% protein I believe.

Honey loves this though. Thumbs up from me! She is only on 80g per day too at the mo so really economic considering the higher cost.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 11:26:24 AM »
Hi,

I'm only a week into my little Cockerdile but she's being transferred over onto Eden as we speak and already her stinky breath and 7 poos a day are down to a non stinky breath and four lovely firm poos (good grief! Glam topic!).

However, I've been warned by a behaviourist to watch after she's about 12 months because the high protein content, once she's finished growing, can lead to crazy excess energy levels which as we all know, Cockers have plenty going no spare anyway ha ha!

I'll keep a little eye on her but it's around 40% protein I believe.

I would be changing behaviourist to be honest lol.
Its a myth, high protein in a good form like eden is good. Too many use the high protein= hyper dog, I would be wary of anyone saying this. Fillers and unnecessary added ingredients are more likely to cause hyper behaviour, of course so is being a cocker spaniel  >:D

We,ve been on eden for nearly 3 years here and its fab.

Honey loves this though. Thumbs up from me! She is only on 80g per day too at the mo so really economic considering the higher cost.

Offline honeysmummy

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 12:10:31 PM »
I would be changing behaviourist to be honest lol.
Its a myth, high protein in a good form like eden is good. Too many use the high protein= hyper dog, I would be wary of anyone saying this. Fillers and unnecessary added ingredients are more likely to cause hyper behaviour, of course so is being a cocker spaniel  >:D

We,ve been on eden for nearly 3 years here and its fab.

Ah he's a good guy. He didn't say take her off. He was simply saying keep an eye on her.

I wouldn't make a decision based on one opinion of course. If Honey is happy on it then I am. I was intending a raw diet but the faff put me off. I'm too lazy to be that organised.

Also, I'm weaning her off having moisture in her kibble. Did you do this? Is it ok for them to have Eden as just dry kibble this young/at any age?

Thanks x

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 12:35:45 PM »
Hi Honeysmum, I was only kidding really lol. I think cockers are rather arm exuberant anyway, usually as they approach the teenage years so can understand why some might think its food related , whatever the food haha.

Yes eden can be fed without being moistened from any age, so yes you can stop doing that.
Glad she loves her food, Riley LOVES eden and still is enthusiastic for a one piece of it  for a a treat haha.

Purely out of curiosity is there a reason you are seeing a behaviourist with a dog at such a young age,? just purely interested thats all.

Offline honeysmummy

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 12:58:43 PM »
Purely out of curiosity is there a reason you are seeing a behaviourist with a dog at such a young age,? just purely interested thats all.

He's a trainer but he is a behaviourist also. Just so I get off on the right foot really. It's been 9 years since my last Cocker pup so I wanted to make sure I didn't transfer any bad habits I had from the adults onto her as a pup.

She seems to be getting things a hell of a lot faster but I think that's her nature. She's a clever little thing x

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 04:10:42 PM »
Aww thats good Honey sounds lovely,  they are so clever, we only have to say a certain word, or adopt a certain look at times and Riley will know what Im meaning, mind you I talk to him like a kid all the time hehe.

Offline Snoopy

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 08:20:24 AM »
The best dry food you could ever feed is the one that suits your dog  :D

I have a number of mine on Arden Grange, it suits them really well, but one of them just can't tolerate it and is on Harringtons.

I could feed the most expensive with the least fillers, but if it upsets them it's the worst food ever  ;)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2016, 12:48:23 PM »
Millies Wolfheart have a large variety of grainfree foods, different proteins, different proportions, and very helpful on the phone.
I recently bought dry, raw and cooked meat and veg trays from Yorkshire Natural Foods. All are excellent and well priced. I've got duck and sweet potato at the moment. They are enthusiastic about healthy and  sensitive foods, and carry different brands as well as their own, none of which are bulk sales for pet supermarkets . Well worth a look at the website.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.