Author Topic: My Roxy is Jaundiced-so worried  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
Re: My Roxy is Jaundiced-so worried
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2016, 10:53:38 AM »
Just to add, it's highly suspected that the cause is not canine hepatitis but Copper storage build up. If anyone has experience of this I'd be really interested on your opinions and thoughts?  We should get the final conclusion on her biopsy report on Monday. x
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2016, 11:07:39 AM »
Sending you all hugs :bigarmhug:
steffxxx

Offline annclare

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2016, 11:12:42 AM »
What a nightmare for you, so much love coming from the forum for you, I pray for an Easter miracle for you and Roxy. xx

Offline daw

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2016, 11:59:39 AM »
Have to say I've never come across the Copper problem. Really hoping it can be alleviated with maybe drug/diet regime...stay strong. :blink:

Offline daw

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2016, 12:13:42 PM »
Have just consulted OH (scientist) who says copper-rich foods are offal, shellfish, legumes and many cereals. Obviously only your vet can say whether avoiding them is helpful. Good luck.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »
Can't add any more other than to reinforce that we're all pulling for you and Roxy and hope with all my heart that she'll overcome this. Sending lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: to you both!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2016, 08:38:47 PM »
Sending all my best wishes to Roxy, and hugs for you.  Very difficult time for you all.  I really hope things turn around for your lovely girl. xx

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
Re: My Roxy is Jaundiced-so worried *update*
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2016, 09:00:24 PM »
Hi All, I thought I'd take a few mins to post an update on my girl Roxy. So her diagnosis is 'Severe Chronic Interface Hepatitis with evidence of secondary copper accumulation'.

The first few days after collecting her from the RVC were pretty scary. It took Roxy approx' 3 days to rid the sedation drug out of her system entirely. The poor thing was as high as a kite. It didn't take long for her appetite to return which is fantastic. We've opted to give her a home cooked diet. Purely because she won't touch the prescription food and I can at least monitor what she is eating. She's eating better than us at the moment, with steak, chicken, cottage cheese and fresh veggies. She taking 5 different medications and some lactulose to reduce her encephalopathy. She's taking them all really well and she's having some added supplementation of some pure salmon oil and milk thistle and dandelion powder. Ms Florey at the RVC told us to feed her whatever it is she likes (obviously within reason) as the main thing is to preserve her remaining health and happiness. We'd rather she eat and be happy than to not eat (prescription food) and become bulimic or anorexic. She's currently maintaining a healthy weight of 10.5 kgs, she's a pretty pint sized cocker anyway. She's remarkably perky at the moment, enjoying her walks and almost back to her usual cheeky self. She's very needy still though and that's to be expected after being pulled from piller to post and poked & prodded. Her jaundice has subsided but it probably will never go entirely but the fact it has means she has goodish bile flow. That aside she's still got an "angry liver" and although she has hepatits is her diagnosis, we're told it's unlikely to be the actual hepatitis disease that has caused this. Unfortunately they are unable to determine the Primary cause as to why she has a hepatic liver as she is vaccinated against it every year. AS for the copper accumulation, after a bit of research it's found that cockers do suffer with this but probably not nearly enough to warrant a lot of research and documentation..........................For now we are loving, caring and enjoying each and every minute of this naughty, cheeky, inquisitive, loving girl and we're doing all that we can to preserve her quality of life. xxxx
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2016, 09:35:35 PM »
Stay as well as you can for as long as you can little Roxy,
Thinking of you. x
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2016, 10:11:11 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to update, I have been thinking about you both.  I am glad Roxy is home, and enjoying some fine dining  :luv:  I hope you both have many happy days yet, take the positives as they come. x

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2016, 10:18:42 PM »
Just caught up with Roxy's story and wanted to say I'm thinking of you both

Jan x
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2016, 09:06:43 AM »
Thanks for the update :D

It's lovely to hear that Roxy is home and enjoying her new food (who wouldn't) and settling in to being a happy girl again. I think you're doing exactly the right thing for her, and long may it stay like that xx

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2016, 12:09:21 PM »
I can only second that and hope that you still have lots of happy times in front of you!! Lots of  :bigarmhug: for Roxy, am so glad she's feeling better!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2016, 01:13:16 PM »
Glad she is is home and feeling better, sure you are doing the right thing feeding her food she enjoys rather than the prescription diet. Stay well Roxy, hope you have lots of happy days together  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2016, 08:51:46 PM »
Just read this, sorry to hear Roxy has been so unwell, but pleased to read she is doing better.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you both
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.