Author Topic: Query about new puppy DNA tests  (Read 3493 times)

Offline annie1

Query about new puppy DNA tests
« on: December 28, 2016, 02:35:03 PM »
Hi

I'm looking for a new wcs puppy, I've found one that I like but I'm a bit confused about the DNA test results and what they mean for my potential pup.

I've been looking on the kennel club website which shows that dad is clear for AMS and FN but there are no results for mum (breeder says accidental mating and bitch will be DNA tested before any future mating).

I think I'm right that dad would pass on a hereditary clear to his offspring? But how would mums unknown status affect the pups DNA?

I hope I'm clear with my question and that I'm making sense, I'm a novice at this, please bare with me!

Thanks

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Query about new puppy DNA tests
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 09:50:05 AM »
Hi,
If the father is tested clear for AMS and FN, then those conditions cannot be passed on to any of his offspring i.e. they won't develop either condition.  However, if the mother carries either of these, some of the pups could be carriers.  So with one parent tested clear you have a guarantee that the puppies won't suffer from the diseases but could still be carriers so could pass the carrier status on to any progeny (or even affected status if the other parent was also a carrier.  Hope that makes sense?  (My middle dog's sire was tested, but dam not.  I was happy with that as I hadn't intended to breed, and didn't want to discount pups/lines I liked just because both parents weren't tested.  Am happy knowing he won't develop the diseases).  Hereditary clear pups will come from 2 tested parents (so won't need testing prior to breeding to prove their status). 
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 10:02:51 AM »
' Accidental mating'  is a bit vague.    Do they mean the bitch has had more litters than is allowed to by KC rules?  Also are you able to read the five year pedigree or family history of the parents to see if either they are related,or have relations of the same names in their own or both histories?   

I am wary now, having had an inbred  dog,who developed autoimmune conditions.   My friend had a SpanishWater Dog from a topbreeder's accidental mating.  It's had aggressive problems since being a pup.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline tenaille

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 10:57:22 AM »
I agree, its a bit vague.  If you have the dog and bitch details then also check the mating COI (inbreeding) on the KC website as this is also important (although not the be all and end all), and hopefully it will be within guidelines. There probably is no shortage of proven well bred litters out there so you are right to be cautious and do your homework about this one.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »
Just my opinion I would walk away and keep looking

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 09:42:08 PM »
Just my opinion I would walk away and keep looking

My opinion also.......

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 09:54:00 AM »
What about PRA DNA test & clinical eye testing? Hip scoring? Doesn't sound like either parent has been tested for eye problems or hip scored - FN is not something you find in working lines generally but eye & hip conditions exist in both show & working. When there are responsible breeders producing carefully planned litters, I'd stay away from accidental matings personally, especially when only one parent is health tested (and only partially tested at that)
Jane