Author Topic: Biting!!!!!!  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Angell

Biting!!!!!!
« on: March 15, 2017, 06:19:14 PM »

So Chester is now 20 weeks!!!
Getting a little fed up at times with the still continuous biting on an evening???
Mostly after his evening walk!!
Some days I wonder if it will ever end???
Please tell me it will!!!!!!
We attend puppy classes where he is generally really good!
Even been for his first puppy groom( which I was dreading ) and he was an Angel!
Arrrgh [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PopPops

Re: Biting!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 06:25:45 PM »
Might he be too tired or overstimulated? Would a crate rest time/nap time help when you get in from the walk?

I'm doing the brand new puppy thing again for the first time in four years and its been a surprise to remember just how much sleep they need and how overtired they get!
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 06:26:15 PM »
Puppies can get over excited after they come in from a walk. Maybe it is an adrenaline rush or something similar, I'm not sure.
It might be worth giving your pup a time out with a kong when you get in and hopefully he will have calmed down for a nap when he has finished it.

Offline Angell

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 07:26:14 PM »

So Chester is now 20 weeks!!!
Getting a little fed up at times with the still continuous biting on an evening???
Mostly after his evening walk!!
Some days I wonder if it will ever end???
Please tell me it will!!!!!!
We attend puppy classes where he is generally really good!
Even been for his first puppy groom( which I was dreading ) and he was an Angel!
Arrrgh [emoji17]

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 07:46:54 PM »
Would it be possible to time the evening walk before his evening meal? Humphrey has his last proper walk at around 5 o clock,- (a bit later innthe summer,) then he has his meal, which seems to calm things down a bit and after that its more or less quiet time, he sometimes has a chew or will potter about but we don't play in the evenings at all.
Chester looks as if butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, so I'm sure you're  exaggerating!!  ;) :005: :005:
Best of luck!,  :D

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »
We are still in the same boat. Milo is 22 weeks tomorrow and still bitey at times. The rest of he time he's lovely [emoji1360]
I'm beginning to think it's when he's tired or very excited.
We were told to walk him at least twice a day from the puppy trainers but I think maybe we are walking him for too long each time to wear him out. He seems to be having more bitey moments with me and my husband since walking more which he had stopped. So going to cut some of the walking out tomorrow and do some more playtime instead and see if that helps.
Sorry not much help.
We are concerned at times as he jumps up growling, barking and nipping and it's not nice [emoji853]and if I try to grab him to remove him he escalates.
I wish you luck with adorable Chester x

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 07:13:47 AM »
We are still in the same boat. Milo is 22 weeks tomorrow and still bitey at times. The rest of he time he's lovely [emoji1360]
I'm beginning to think it's when he's tired or very excited.
We were told to walk him at least twice a day from the puppy trainers but I think maybe we are walking him for too long each time to wear him out. He seems to be having more bitey moments with me and my husband since walking more which he had stopped. So going to cut some of the walking out tomorrow and do some more playtime instead and see if that helps.
Sorry not much help.
We are concerned at times as he jumps up growling, barking and nipping and it's not nice [emoji853]and if I try to grab him to remove him he escalates.
I wish you luck with adorable Chester x

I can remember being really worried that we had an aggressive dog when Henry behaved like that - trust COLers when they tell you it's quite normal! Although it comes across as aggressive, it is still play. I've learned to distinguish Henry's play growls from real growls now (not that he growls much, mostly only when he wakes up to find the cat staring at him!).

Evenings were definitely the last of the bitey times to go. My daughter calls it 'false beans', when the pup has a last rush of energy before bedtime and is too tired to exercise much, if any, impulse control.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 07:21:01 AM »
Thank you londongirl for that, sometimes all you need is some reassurance [emoji3] We were beginning to think that if it continues as he gets older then we might have a massive problem especially when it's aimed at the kids. I do think he's just trying to play with them and doesn't like it when I remove him. 
Must persevere as best we can, he is lovely 80% of the time, which is better than the first month or so [emoji1360]

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 08:02:36 AM »
Ah, yes, trying to 'remove' them often just escalates things. It's really tricky. A good long tug toy in this situation is a good idea as puppy can bite and growl away happily and no one is being attacked!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Angell

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 08:15:38 AM »
Sorry I have not responded to your helpful comments! Just got in after a night shift, to a very kissable Chester!
Yes I do wonder if it's an adrenaline thing, it seems to take ages to calm though?
I wonder if trying an earlier walk may work??
At the moment he has a 20 min walk about 9 am, then play in the garden periodically during the day??? Usually sleeps for 3 hrs in the morning, then snoozes during the afternoon, until the excitement of the kids coming in from school??
Then my husband walks him about 7 pm???
We also have the face lunging and biting whilst madly wagging his tail?? Then trying to put him in time out becomes a battle!!! This can be a fair few times in an evening?!!!
I've tried walking out the room instead but my doors are taking the brunt!!
Some days are so lovely!!! And some I'm crying into a large glass of wine wondering what I have done to our family!
I'm so thankful to know he's not the only one haha!!
On a plus side he was unbelievably the best behaved at puppy class yest[emoji23]

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 09:10:25 AM »
What I tend to do when my 5 month pup starts biting is turn my back and ignore him. He tends to stop very quickly as he knows if he does this then I will not pay him any attention.

I think mine does it when he is over tired, because normally 5/10 minutes later he is fast a sleep.

When I say biting, I don't mean full on aggressive bite. He doesn't seem to press his jaws together as I think he knows it could hurt - if you know what I mean

Offline ips

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 10:55:19 AM »
My nearly three year old still bites but only when we are playing, she likes a good old play scrap. I have never bothered about it as I know its only play and she never ever bites down. I have always considered it to be good training for a soft mouth but of course I am sure many will think its a bad idea to allow it and that she is showing dominance blah blah, I can assure you she is not she is just playing the way we always have.

No point to the above by the way 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline ips

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »
Double post
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 11:34:17 AM »
I think 7pm could possibly a bit late for a walk at the moment. Cockers can have a bit of a mad spell in the evening before they finally chill out and maybe the late walk is adding to this.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 01:31:47 PM »
Sounds like fairly normal, overtired 'cockerdile' behaviour. Yes, they grow out of it and it usually means they are over-tired or over-excited. Best bet is to wind them down at the end of the day. I think most of us have the torn clothes to remember this time by! You will look back and laugh - honest  :005: