Author Topic: Using cheap clippers (now updated with results)  (Read 4524 times)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Using cheap clippers (now updated with results)
« on: March 23, 2017, 01:11:17 PM »
I understand that it is worth it to invest in quality clippers for pets, but I do not have the money right now, and as the picture shows I need an emergency solution  :003:

Does anyone have experience with using cheap clippers? I have one that is meant for people and I am very tempted to try it on my cocker. But I'm afraid it will not survive her coat. It would be unfortunate if it gave up half way through and she had to walk around half clipped  :005: So I was wondering if anyone has tried clipping a cocker with a cheap clipper, and does it work?

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Using cheap clippers
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 01:28:42 PM »
I had Oster clippers for my Scotties and two previous,spaniels, they are brilliant but expensive. IMgave them away when Milo died as Imdidn,t intend to,get another dog, but Dylan came along! I didn't want to spend a lot of money, so I got these
http://t.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/clippers_shears/other_clippers_and_shears/154015
They are very good, and will take Oster blades. I only clip his head, chest, ears and a bit of leg, I use a coat king on the body. I don't know how they would cope with all over the body, but they seem quite substantial sturdy clippers. I have tried Wahl clippers in the past, they soon gave up the ghost, really struggled with the coat. I would recommend these clippers for light use, I.e. Maybe not for lots of dogs but certainly for one or two. Obviously not as good as Oster, but we are talking over £100 for,those!

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 01:51:01 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I didn't think of using oster blades with other clippers, that's a good compromise. I am hoping to clip the entire dog though, her coat is impossible to groom after she was spayed. Btw, what number blade is good for cockers?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »
what number blade is good for cockers?

This might give you an easy guide  ;)

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=32160.0
Julie and Watson

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 02:07:52 PM »
Thanks!  :D

Ofh, even the blades are expensive! I know I sound cheap, but it's just my current financial situation is really bad so I really can't buy anything non-essential right now. I'm afraid my girl will have to either stay fluffy for some months still or I'll have to risk the people clipper  :016:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »
Yes, afraid the clippers and blades are expensive - but you really do get what you pay for.  Cheap clippers really are a false economy and a decent set will last you a good few years which saves loads on groomers etc.  Have you got a doggy friend who could go halves with some clippers, so you can share them?

You could probably manage with 2 blades - I actually use a 10 for head/under ears etc and a 5f for the body.  I do the rest with scissors.   ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 02:41:09 PM »
Unfortunately I just moved so I don't know anyone to invest with. I used to live in Hungary where dog grooming is really cheap and the professional groomers are excellent. Now I'm back in Norway where groomers are crazy expensive and usually just hobby-groomers so results may vary from what I've heard.

I'm mostly hoping the cheap clippers I allready have will survive a few rounds until I can get back on my feet with a steady job. But I have heard that clippers made for people don't survive long on dog coats so I'm afraid to try without hearing others experiences.

I would probably only invest in one blade anyway, I don't do a cocker look for her anymore. I had to talk the groomer into it, but eventually she agreed to a sporty look. Shave the entire dog short, but keep the ears and tail long  :D  Please don't judge me  :005:

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 04:57:51 PM »
I don't know if this will help but, before I found my excellent groomer twenty years ago, I used to groom my two cockers Zoe and Jamie with grooming scissors. It kept them neat and tidy and prevented the build up of matts.  I still use them today to snip off any matts that form before Fizz and Riley go to the groomer again, usually every six weeks.  Hope you find a solution.

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 05:17:37 PM »
Yes , it is a false economy to buy clippers meant for humans, I tried that and they packed up after two goes! The clippers I recommend though are very good, they are meant for dogs, and they clip as well as the Oster did. Dylan has a profuse coat, they tackle it with no problem. If your girl has a profuse coat on the body, if you give her a bath and get a lot of the loose hair out with a rubber band on a comb, so that the thickness is reduced, then I would think these would be fine. I would scissor all the surplus hair off the legs etc and then use the clippers.  Once you get on top of the coat it is easier to keep it neat and tidy. I have had them for nearly eighteen months, he has a trim every couple of months, and I would feel confident using them all over if I wanted to. There is only the one blade, but it does the job, and can be added to if required.

They have worked well for me, and the other reviews of them are good.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 05:17:56 PM »
I'm facing a similar dilema myself having decided to groom Humphrey myself in future - I'm reluctant to invest in expensive clippers until I know if I can manage it, so have decided I'll get some cheap ones to practice with and invest in some better ones later.

I don't know if this will help but, before I found my excellent groomer twenty years ago, I used to groom my two cockers Zoe and Jamie with grooming scissors. It kept them neat and tidy and prevented the build up of matts.  I still use them today to snip off any matts that form before Fizz and Riley go to the groomer again, usually every six weeks.  Hope you find a solution.

That sounds like a good idea too - maybe you could get the bulk of the hair off with scissors and then use the cheaper clippers to do the rest, then they wouldn't have so much to cope with.?
(I realize she must be a nightmare to groom and that it isn't practical but she really does look absolutely beautiful!!!!)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 05:39:43 PM »
Thanks everyone, many great tips here :) I like the idea of using scissors first to make it easier on the clipper I allready have. Eventually I will buy an oster, but for now I'll have to make due.

I used to handstrip her before she was spayed. But she is just the perfect example of how bad the quality of the coat can get post spay. I've tried most methods, but it is painful for her when I ty to pull out the dead fur. Even a comb without the rubber band is tugging bad at her dense fur. Every strand of hair is super thin, but there are so many!

Right now I have to brush her every day. First with a tangle teezer, then with a slicker brush and still I have to cut mats. I have even tried removing the loose hair with a furminator, but it only works on the back since the fur is to dense on her sides and chest and feet.

She looks adorable, like a teddy bear and I don't mind the grooming. But she doesn't like it and I feel bad for her having to sit still while I tug at tangles and clip mats every day :P

Offline lescef

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 09:26:34 PM »
I have to admit I used human clippers on our last cocker as there was not tinternet and I didn't know you could buy doggy clippers -doh! Thinking back she probably did look a bit 'chewed' but I used them for years.
What are grooming scissors? (I'm thinking thinning scissors but could be completely wrong)
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 10:07:49 PM »
I bought them from my local pet shop 25-30 years ago.  They have blunt tips which bend upwards to guard against digging into the skin as you are making the cut.  Similar to these

http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/pets/wahl-stainless-steel-curve-scissor-(online-only)?CAWELAID=120267720000015997&cm_mmc=PPC-_-Google-_-PLA-_-PLA+Dog+-+Dog+Grooming+-+Generic+-+Dog+Clippers+and+Scissors&ito=GAG34654683017&itc=GAC159923220438&itkw=nil&itaexid=&itawnw=search&itawmt=&itadvc=c&gclid=CITwybXR7dICFcUV0wodiXcD1A

I haven't looked after them particularly well but they are still quite sharp and do the job.

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 10:21:38 AM »
So I saved up and decided to invest in a clipper that takes oster blades. But of course the website that sells the clipper doesn't have the 5F blade. They have a 5 blade and 7f. I feel like 7f is a little short? I don't want her to look completely naked or need sunscreen  :005: I Is there a huge difference in results for clipping with 5 and 5f? My plan is to do the entire dog with one blade, using scissors and thinning scissors for the head and whatever I decide to leave of the feathers. Will it look better to go short in order to get the finishing blade (7f) or is it just as good to use the skip toothed blade (5)?

Offline lescef

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 10:30:06 AM »
I used the 7f on Maddie for a while before buying a 5f. I thought it was ok and you don't have to do it so often!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble