Author Topic: Annual vacs-age limit!  (Read 4630 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Annual vacs-age limit!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 10:43:09 PM »
I chose my vet based on their out of hours availability.  They have 2 hospitals that are open 24 hours a day within a 20 minute drive.  Many vets contract out to an out of hours system where you have to prove that you can pay for treatment before you are allowed to see anybody!

I'm lucky that my vet practice has it's own out of hours service that I can phone any hour of day or night and then go to the surgery if needed. Even though it's a small practice and quite old fashioned in some ways it's one reason why I stick with them.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Annual vacs-age limit!
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 09:43:22 AM »
...we vaccinate our children once or twice and they usually have immunity for life whereas dogs who have a much shorter lifespan are vaccinated each year  :huh: :huh: :huh:  why?

Because different vaccines are made in different ways and some last longer than others. We humans need to booster tetanus every 10 years, rabies every 1 or 3 years etc. Not all vaccines can be producet to give lifelong immunity unfortunately :)

I would just call the vet, they probably just forgot to send the reminder.

that's the issue - lifelong immunity.  The original lab dogs weren't kept long enough to tell whether they had immunity and the drug companies don't care so the annual boosters became the norm.   

My dog was last titre tested in 2015 - he was 10. I hadn't boostered him since he was 2.  His immunity was fine - in fact more than fine. 
helen & jarvis x