Author Topic: How to stop my puppy chasing our cats  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Buck

Re: How to stop my puppy chasing our cats
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 08:10:41 PM »
Both our dogs are frightened of my wife's cat, Charlie won't walk past her so we have to either pick him up or move the cat.
That said her smacks really do hurt, but the dogs don't learn and stand yapping at her, she's about 13yrs old and no patients for dogs/pups lol

Offline PopPops

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »
Poppy and the cats pretty much ignored each other - although she would chase a cat if I was telling it off, much the same way she'd find rush to the window and find something to bark at and protect me from if she picked up that I was annoyed. Tolly chases two of the cats constantly, and two of the cats - one in particular - spends ages tarting about, provoking him and demanding that attention. Those two I've left to it, although if he's getting too much I call him and treat him if he comes away from the cats to me, and have done clicker work on that. Third cat told him his fortune in no uncertain terms when he was 8 weeks old and has nothing to do with him, and he stays away from her.
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline Bellamamma

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 06:29:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies. Bella is now 7 months and the cats have accepted her. She has had a few smacks in the face along the way, but it put her in her place. Thankfully she only had a tiny scratch once on her nose. It is such a pleasure to see them all lying on the bed together fast asleep! She still chases them but stops before she gets to them and does a play bow. So cute!

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 06:32:07 AM »
Like PatP, I would have done it differently if I'd known.

My last dog (a border terrier) came as a puppy and always treated the resident cats with respect. So, when we got Bonnie, I thought it would be the same- let them get on with it. For our youngest cat, that's fine, she's happy to bop Bonnie on the nose, suffers a wash every now and again, but there's no sleeping together whatsoever. The older cat moved into the front garden when Bonnie arrived. She now has a bed in the porch and won't come into the main house unless she knows that Bonnie is out. Two years later.

Guess it depends on the cat, but I wouldn't leave it to them next time.