Author Topic: Charlie stinks  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Buck

Charlie stinks
« on: April 29, 2017, 02:00:13 AM »
I don't know if it's just me but Charlie had his own odour other than wet dog smell and it's not very nice.
When i sniff his paws there the worst part for sure but it's an all over smell really.
We tried shampoos from the vets and pets at home. I've also tried Johnson's baby shampoo and baby bath and they were better but not much.
One time i used human shampoo and  conditioner but despite making him look great it didn't do much for his odour.

I've seen dog deodorant but Charlie hates the scented smelly stuff.

What works best and how often do you bath/shower your dogs?

Rob/Charlie

Offline Theo961

• Donator
Re: Charlie stinks
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 07:30:54 AM »
Have you talked to the vet about the smell? There are various health reasons a dog could smell as you describe such as allergy or yeast infection.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »
Ditto, I would see the vet as it may be something causing him to smell, especially his feet. I've not heard of individual dogs having smelly feet like some humans!

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 09:12:29 AM »
I agree with Theo.    Could be yeast overgrowth on skin.  Is it a musty smell ?  Is there any greasy dandruff?  Diet  can come into the question, and adding dilute cider vinegar is meant to help,  as well as being added to the bath rinse.
  I was told  by a trichologist that it's fine to use Head and Shoulders Original on dogs with skin problems, before splashing out on Malaseb from the vet.  Be careful with using conditioners and deodorants. They contain loads of chemicals that cause allergies,  including limonene, that is in all cleaning products and air fresheners.
Another fact I learned from a researcher is that the shampoos for pets and babies that don't sting the eyes are  misleading.......the reason they don't sting the eyes is that they have an anaesthetic  ingredient added to the basic stinging recipe.   More chemicals.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 09:51:36 AM »
If bathing isn't doing the trick it's possible that the smell comes from within and may be diet related. Stinky paws can be a sign of yeast over production. The paws may smell cheesy or like popcorn or just be smelly.

If he's on a food that is high in carbs. it might be worth thinking of changing it and seeing if it helps. My understanding is that carbs. turn to sugars when digested and sugars can promote over  production of yeast.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 06:56:58 PM »
I would get him to the vet and have them give him a MOT and discuss this with your vet

Hope you get him sorted  :luv:

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 08:55:47 AM »
I would also get the vet to just check him over,

Bea has had Yeast infections between her toes, armpit and between her legs, I wash her mith Malaseb shampoo.

Adding Pro and Pre Biotics apparently helps as it gets the Gut health back to normal, as some say this is where the a Yeast comes from ( my vet disagrees ).

The Vet hopefully will be able to help.