Author Topic: Tips for getting used to clippers  (Read 1449 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Tips for getting used to clippers
« on: May 04, 2017, 06:21:39 PM »
 >:( First attempt at DIY grooming has not gone well!  :huh:
I got myself a really good DVD, some clippers, thinning scissors and a coat king. Humphrey got a bowl full of sausage and cheese cubes and OH just got impatient!!
How on earth do you manage to clip around the ears and chin when they're flinching and jumping before you even get within an inch? I didn't even dare attempt his "bits"!
The groomer must have managed it and she works completely alone, so I'm a bit disappointed that its not as easy as I'd imagined and am feeling a bit deflated.   The clippers are quiet and he didn't seem worried about them but despite OH holding his head as still as possible, I just couldn't manage it. He loves to be brushed and scrambles to get up onto the table. SO - what's the secret? Can anyone give me any tips please? I'm anxious not to upset him too much as I don't want to make matters worse,  he'd got his tail between his legs and was clearly unhappy, so I've just left it for now. Sorry if this all sounds a bit silly but I'd be grateful for any advice as I know lots of you groom your dogs yourselves.
THanks!

Offline lescef

Re: Tips for getting used to clippers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 07:22:17 PM »
I think over time he will accept them more. Maddie had been clipped at a groomers but was terrified of the place for some reason, so I bought my own and she's generally ok with them. I decided to introduce them to Bramble, a bit at a time, just running the back of them over her back then getting closer to her ears. I only clip bits of her but she's ok too now having hated them initially.
I can do their ears but I do think the vibration must be horrible. I can't get to do their mouths, however, so get as far up the chest as I can then use thinning scissors for the mouth.
Have you a grooming table with an arm which may help to keep him still?
I've found that you have to approach it all very confidently and slowly, even if you don't feel it, show no exasperation as they pick up on it so easily, hold them firmly and stay calm!! :D
I also had to stop feeding high value treats as that wound Maddie up and made her more fidgety. Now I keep boring kibble in my back pocket so she can't see it, use praise often with the odd treat. I'm sure you'll get there and you'll get faster at it too!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 07:37:35 PM »
Before you even attempt to clip the head area, let him get used to the sound and feel of them. Just hold the body of the clippers against the dogs body and gradually move them over the dog so they feel the vibrations. Don't actually use them. Gradually move them up the neck and chest, the cheeks etc and take your time. Praise and treats when they don,t fidget. Have OH holding the best treats ever in front of their nose. It may take a few days for him to be calm, but don't rush it. Then start introducing the blades, and do the easy areas first, I.e. The chest, and work your way to the head. If necessary be prepared to do it over a few days, and you have to put up with your dog looking a bit queer  :005:. Some dogs are easier than others, but better to coax than force them. Dylan's first trim took over a week, I just did bits every day so not to wear him out and get him acclimatised. He wasn't too bad.

If you start to get stressed, then stop and have a break, it makes the dog worse.

I clipped and stripped my five Scotties and three spaniels myself, plus I did the odd Scottie or westie for locals where I used to live. Ears are the worst thing, some don't tolerate the blades on the inside of the ears, so I would do them with scissors.

Just be patient and don't expect to master it first time, little and often is best, and usually they get better each time.  Good luck!!

My bugbear is claws - Dylan hates his claws being done, especially the dew claw, though he's never injured it. I need a stiff one when I do his claws  ;)

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 09:14:17 PM »
Thanks so much both, that has helped restore my motivation to have another go. I think my enthusiasm probably got the better of me, I should have taken it a bit slower. I'll leave it a couple of days now and then try and introduce it again bit by bit and hope he'll eventually get used to the idea!!
Watch this space - I'll keep you posted!  ;)
Thanks!,