Author Topic: 'Trust Me, I'm a Vet'....  (Read 6392 times)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: 'Trust Me, I'm a Vet'....
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2017, 11:55:34 AM »
Really...? Someone with 5+ years of university education expresses an opinion on a subject well within her field and then her weight becomes the topic of discussion?  :dunno:  Am I misunderstanding something or is this really he direction the thread went?

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 03:07:46 PM »
Just my observation, that's all.  I'm usually the one that blurts out what everyone else is thinking.  I apologise if you're offended.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 04:16:26 PM »
Really...? Someone with 5+ years of university education expresses an opinion on a subject well within her field and then her weight becomes the topic of discussion?  :dunno:  Am I misunderstanding something or is this really he direction the thread went?

Agreed. My husband's family are all very what we call 'pass-remarkable' - there is always a comment to be made on people's appearance and it really gets on my nerves. I DO find myself thinking it, but always check myself from saying it out loud because it's something society conditions us to do, to judge people by their appearance, and it's a habit I am keen to break.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline lescef

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 08:10:39 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YYOeQgaobPE&feature=youtu.be

I didn't watch the programme but obviously got the gist of it judging by the comments on various sites!
The link above (hopefully) is Dr Nick Thompson from holisticvet.co.uk giving his side of the argument.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 07:00:35 AM »
Thanks for posting that lescef. 

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 08:55:43 AM »

Yep agreed, he certainly put the Raw Feeders points of view and I think had the Beeb done this (allowed both sides of the story) in the first place then there would not have been such a feeling of biased reporting.

There are lots of debates these days and available information about how we can/should treat our pets. Medical advances as well as the food we feed is a concern for all owners and vets alike, but it is not enough to say ' I'm a vet so I know best' however much training they have had, which to my mind is what the vets on these programmes seem to be saying.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »

Yep agreed, he certainly put the Raw Feeders points of view and I think had the Beeb done this (allowed both sides of the story) in the first place then there would not have been such a feeling of biased reporting.

There are lots of debates these days and available information about how we can/should treat our pets. Medical advances as well as the food we feed is a concern for all owners and vets alike, but it is not enough to say ' I'm a vet so I know best' however much training they have had, which to my mind is what the vets on these programmes seem to be saying.

Absolutely agree but it was clear to me before  the programme even started that it would be biased -  when I read that they were going to discuss "the latest "craze" in feeding pets raw food"!! If they call what dogs have been fed for the 15,000 years "latest craze", then it doesn't say much for their understanding of dog nutrition! (O'h dear, I think I'm turning into Victor Mildrew!! :005:)

Offline lescef

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 11:16:36 AM »
I sometimes think these programmes are deliberately produced to cause an outcry. But it's not what we expect from the BBC. Times are a changing!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »

agree wholeheartedly with that  ;)

FWIW - I have nothing against raw feeding but I don't like the zealous fervour and implication from some raw feeders that they are "doing their best for their dogs" which implies those that don't raw feed aren't.

If you're basing this diet on wolves and 15,000 years of eating than maybe you should look at this scientific study.  It's on basic evolution of domestication and how the domestic dog evolved from the wolf because it could digest starch.   Most raw feeders completely discount carbs/starch because dogs cannot digest them.  It's just not true.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2013/01/diet-shaped-dog-domestication

My view is that we ALL do our best for our dogs so pushing one feeding model down everyones neck (excuse the pun) is un-necessary.    If you feed raw and your dog is thriving, good on you.  If you prefer to do otherwise and your dog is thriving you're just as good an owner  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 02:52:14 PM »

agree wholeheartedly with that  ;)

FWIW - I have nothing against raw feeding but I don't like the zealous fervour and implication from some raw feeders that they are "doing their best for their dogs" which implies those that don't raw feed aren't.

If you're basing this diet on wolves and 15,000 years of eating than maybe you should look at this scientific study.  It's on basic evolution of domestication and how the domestic dog evolved from the wolf because it could digest starch.   Most raw feeders completely discount carbs/starch because dogs cannot digest them.  It's just not true.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2013/01/diet-shaped-dog-domestication

My view is that we ALL do our best for our dogs so pushing one feeding model down everyones neck (excuse the pun) is un-necessary.    If you feed raw and your dog is thriving, good on you.  If you prefer to do otherwise and your dog is thriving you're just as good an owner  ;)

I absolutely agree  with you Helen, I feed raw now but my last two dogs were fed (horror of horrors) Pedigree dry and wet mixed together and they both did fine on it. My comment about the last 15,000 years really meant to point out that we've been feeding them all sorts if things over that time and the species has still survived so  the inference of the "experts" that we're risking the health of our dogs and families by not feeding manufactured food or food prepared in sterile conditions, is ludicrous. It is also a fact that a good and healthy immune sytem is best achieved through exposure to bacteria which is why the rate of allergies and intolerances to certain substances  is far far higher in our so-called developed societies, where we have mania for disinfecting everything, than in the third world.
Unfortunately a bit of a fanatical cultism has developed among some raw feeders which has probably given rise to a lot of the criticism and finger pointing, but at the end of the day, as you rightly say, we all want the best for out dogs and personal choices should be accepted and respected. .

Offline assumpta

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 03:39:45 PM »
I also watched the programme and it wasn't the vet that done the testing of the e-coli but a scientist that gave her the results and she then made her own mind up. I didn't think it was bias at all as the same testing was done on kibble fed dogs. I agree with what Helen has written and think its down to personal choice and dogs can and do thrive on different feeding.

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 06:21:18 PM »
I also watched the programme and it wasn't the vet that done the testing of the e-coli but a scientist that gave her the results and she then made her own mind up. I didn't think it was bias at all as the same testing was done on kibble fed dogs. I agree with what Helen has written and think its down to personal choice and dogs can and do thrive on different feeding.

I certainly agree with your last sentence, if the vet on this program had stated something like that and then if you feed raw to ensure you follow basic hygiene, then I doubt this thread would even have been started.  ;)

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 09:31:49 AM »

I certainly agree with your last sentence, if the vet on this program had stated something like that and if you feed raw to ensure you follow basic hygiene, then I doubt this thread would even have been started.  ;)

Agree totally with these sentiments and Helen's views  :D

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 01:19:24 PM »
Has anyone followed Rodney Habib, he has done extensive research and makes sense...

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 04:25:10 PM »
Interesting discussion, which is what I hoped for when I started this thread.  I too agree that we all do what we believe to be the best for our dogs, and what suits our pockets and the amount of time we have.  I, for instance, wouldn't dream of feeding raw made from scratch at home - I'd be too worried that I hadn't got the proportions right, and I haven't got the time or the inclination to be mincing and chopping all that meat and fruit and veg.  Commercially produced frozen raw is my chosen option.

We have fed some rubbish to our dogs over the years, including the dreaded 'Bakers'  ph34r  before we knew any better, and they have all done fine on whatever we were feeding.  It was just Ozzy's grain intolerance that started me on the quest to find our more about raw feeding - after all the old adage 'fit as a butcher's dog' had to come from somewhere.

What got my back up was the bias - I loathe biased reporting, and I can't understand why there is so much of it done these days.  Well, yes I can, it's almost always about money and profit and it makes me mad!