Author Topic: Puppy food question  (Read 1391 times)

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
Puppy food question
« on: May 16, 2017, 12:48:59 PM »
Okay so I feed James wellbeloved senior to my 9yr old cocker Ollie due to health issues.
This is the only food he can keep down that doesn't affect his skin allergies.

When I got my pup last Thursday he was on different food and I'm sorry to have to say this but his poo was runny. I changed him over to James wellbeloved puppy and within three days he's passing normal poo. The James wellbeloved really seems to suit him.

He seems to like the taste and we plan to keep him on this food, however on the pack it states he "should" be eating 4 meals a day at around 50g per serving. That's a massive amount of food by my thinking as my older cocker only has 250g a day.

The main issue is my senior boy eats so fast we have had to buy one of those special feeding bowls to try and slow him down!! It doesn't work btw!

My pup if I'm lucky will eat around 25g each serving so therefore only half the recommended daily amount stated on the pack! Is this alright or should I be doing something else to try and get him to eat more? He's a grazer from what I've seen he tends to walk away and keep revisiting him bowl! However I'm having to take the bowl away as my other food orientated cocker will eat his and the pups given chance!

Yesterday I resorted to hand feeding to try and get more food into him. I know it's not the ideal situation.

Any thoughts or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Ps I'm feeding my old boys food divided into 4 lots so he always eats first then the pup follows seconds later, but within less than 20 seconds my old boys eat 65g of dog food whilst little Ines had around 3 pieces of his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Puppy food question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 01:20:34 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the amount suggested on the packaging, it is only a suggestion. If he is not getting skinny then he is getting enough food  ;) If you are worried about the other cocker eating his food then maybe give him 15 minutes alone with the bowl before you take it away. (Alone as in keep the other dog away, not all puppies will eat when they are completely alone).That should give him time to eat until he's full and he will get used to the routine of eating when the food is out. If you are unsure about his weight then many vet clinics will let you pop in and use the scales and then the person in the reseption will have a look and tell you if he looks good. At my clinic they will get a treat too so that they learn that the vets is a fun place to go  :D

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »
Puppy's use so much energy just growing let alone all that chewing, Zoomies and generally just looking cute :D

I was so paranoid about my girls weight as a pup, the vets will help put you at ease with that, I kept all Bea's weight written down so that I could compare how she was doing month to month.

All pups are different and the packaging is just a guide as Mari said, they don't know your pup.

I would feed them separately so that your pup doesn't feel the need to guard his food or bolt it down like your other dog.

Sharon. 

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 08:20:08 PM »
I wouldn't worry, my boy went through a not bothered about his food stage in the early days. As long as he's eating some and not losing weight he'll be fine.
Milo eats well now, although I did change his kibble/dry food and do add a topper to make it tastier (half a pouch of James wellbeloved puppy) [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk