Author Topic: Mixing raw food with cooked?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline rubyduby

Mixing raw food with cooked?
« on: July 04, 2017, 06:21:02 PM »
One of my dogs has kidney and pancreatitis issues so is on a homecooked diet, she was on raw and her sister who is fine is still on a raw (naturesmenu) diet, I do put some rice etc on the raw food as the sister seemed to think she was missing out, is it bad form to mix cooked and raw , or is it ok????

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Mixing raw food with cooked?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 07:08:29 PM »
I was told not to mix Kibble with raw as its digested at a different rate and could cause problems. But a lot of the ready raw mixes contain cereals, rice or potato which would have to be cooked. I've given Humphrey rice mixed with raw and  have never had any problems, so I think its probably ok, (although I have no experience with any special dietry needs regarding the pancreatitis/kidney issues)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 09:55:44 PM »
Personally I wouldn't mix rice in with the raw meat etc. that I feed my dogs, but that's got more to do with me being a believer that dogs don't need rice or other grains in their diet than worrying too much about mixing raw and cooked food. That's not to say that my two never get grains because they have a bedtime biscuit most nights and sometimes a corner of toast.

Offline ips

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 09:59:46 PM »
Personally I wouldn't mix rice in with the raw meat etc. that I feed my dogs, but that's got more to do with me being a believer that dogs don't need rice or other grains in their diet than worrying too much about mixing raw and cooked food. That's not to say that my two never get grains because they have a bedtime biscuit most nights and sometimes a corner of toast.

Toast, don't mention toast. We recently discovered eze no only knows the word but knows it if you spell it letter by letter. She loves toast 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 11:04:37 PM »
Jinley has kidney problems and is on Nutriment low purine complete wet food.  The only thing I would add to it is raw chicken or turkey.  They do not need extra carbs added to bulk it out

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 05:51:20 AM »

Toast, don't mention toast. We recently discovered eze no only knows the word but knows it if you spell it letter by letter. She loves toast 😁

Having had Basset's and Clumbers most of my life I have found it so refreshing having Reese and not to constantly wipe up drool....thats unless I eat toast, its the only thing I ever see him drool over and guaranteed to leave a puddle on the floor!  :005:

I dont add any cooked food to raw but if you want to add things like rice, potatoes, legumes then these Should be well cooked if adding to raw food. Some of natures menu raw nuggets are mixed with brown rice.
I think the main thing is not to mix kibble with raw because its much drier and takes longer to digest, which can cause issues if raw food is in the digestive system too long.