Author Topic: Name suggestions............  (Read 1139 times)

Offline daisy lanes

Name suggestions............
« on: July 08, 2017, 12:19:27 PM »
Hi all - I'm new to the forum and we're hopefully collecting our first cocker puppy in around 5 weeks time and I'm looking for some inspirations when it comes to names  :luv: :luv: At the moment we're not sure if we'll be bringing home a boy or a girl so I'm making a list of names for both and the litter contains a mix of colours - golden, orange roan and black so that could factor into the final choice too  ;)

So far I've come up with........

Girls - Ruby, Blossom, Lily, Ebony, Willow
Boys - Finn, Fletcher, Angus, Cooper, Bryn
Names that would suit either - Fudge, Bracken

So far I think my favourite for a girl is Ruby and for a boy Finn but I'm pretty undecided  :lol2: I'd love to hear suggestions of other names too and would love to know what names you all decided on for your cockers  ;)

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
Re: Name suggestions............
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:44:26 PM »
Hi there. We have a black worker called Bonnie. We whittled the name choice down to Ebony or Bonnie, then had a friends and family vote. Unfortunately Ebony (my choice) lost the vote much to my OH delight. Therefore, I like Ebony as a girls name but I also like Lilly as that was another of my choices I lost lol.

My favourite out of the boy choices is Finn. Good luck with choosing your pup and the new name xx

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 01:33:35 PM »
Ruby or Lily for a girl. For a boy, I love Finn with Angus coming up a close second.
You'll know better when you have her/him home though!  ;)

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 02:46:50 PM »
Have a few favourite names in mind, but don't decide until several days after you have had the pup at home - depending on the pup's character some names may turn out to be unsuitable, or you may go off them.  I think 2 syllable names are most easily remembered by the puppy, and also easier to call.  And also remember, you will need to recall the puppy in public, so don't choose a name you will subsequently be embarrassed to yell in the park!  ph34r

We chose Ozzy for our blue roan cocker because when we first went to see him, he laid in my OH's arms, completely chilled, with his eyes half shut, and his long black ears, and he reminded us so much of Ozzy Osborne!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »
We chose the name Henry because a) it's easy to call and b) I personally like giving pets 'human' names. We chose the name months before finding our puppy. When we had chosen him (and he named Barnaby by the breeder) we discovered his dad's name was Henry, and his dad's dad too! Somehow we knew before we ever met him!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »
I had two names for a girl, one for a Blue Roan Bramble and one better suited for a Orange a Roan Honey Bee.

I then tried the Park Test, the name needs to be something you are happy to shout out in the Park, quick and easy to say as you might find yourself doing it a lot  :005: and it's easier for you dog.

After much deliberation I chose Bee, quick and easy to say and the colour didn't matter  :luv:

When I mentioned the spelling to my Mum who would be looking after her for me, I got "The Look" >:( so I chose to spell it Bea, my girl now gets called all sorts including Bow, Beer  >:(

No doubt you will find plenty of names to call them anyway  :005:

Offline ips

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 04:58:35 PM »
Eze was named after a fortified medieval village near Monaco. That area of the south of France is our favourite and a long weekend in Ville fraunch including a day at "eze" was our last hols abroad before we got her. I wont leave her so no trips abroad for us from now on. Our regular trips to south of France is the only downside to having a dog, for me anyway.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline feelreid

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 06:59:24 PM »
Before settling for Lolly for our girl and Simba for our boy we contemplated Gypsy, Riley, Ripley, Olive and Harley - all for girls,  Simba was always Simba 😍😍 they should really be called Monkey and Mouse as our boy is huge and really cheeky and our wee girl is quiet and tiny xx

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Offline daisy lanes

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 07:30:55 PM »
There are so many suggestions that it's just too hard to choose  :lol2: I've also added Piper and Milo to the list too  :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 07:52:06 PM »
Our last cocker was Milo, we named him after the jack Russell from the film the Mask, cos our first dog when we married was a Jack Russell. We had a Finn too. OH chose Dylan, after the wailer, though Itell people it,s after the Welsh poet and the lovely doc in Casualty  :lol2:. Our
Scottie girls were Essa, Holly, Roman, Cassie and Shula, plus an Inca (boy).

Make a list, and then when you actually get your pup live with it for a bit and see what suits him/her.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 10:55:22 PM »
This is our Loxley named Loxley because my other half does archery (Robin Hood theme)

My Loxley's pedigree name is sweet fudge cake lad so we were going to call him Fudge but Loxley won!

My Ollie was originally going to be called Ozzy after the great ROCK STAR! But once I saw his I knew he was going to be my Ollie. His pedigree name is running river lad so not really much of a name there unless I wanted to call him river lol

You'll soon know what you want to call them when you see him or her for the first time.

Good luck with your search and remember when you get him/her post some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 08:33:56 AM »
My boy is Rhodri - I wanted a Welsh name as both my children have Welsh names and I like human names too. I think it suits him perfectly and I can't imagine him being called anything else.

Offline daisy lanes

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 09:58:26 AM »
Awwww there's some brilliant names there and thanks for sharing all the pictures - soooooooo cute  :luv: :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 10:10:54 AM »
Have had a few pooches over the years with a variety of names, here are some:

Chihuahua - honey, cos was blonde and sweet

Poodle - Pippa - after the gardener as she loved playing with flowerpots

Sheltie Cross - Paddy, he liked getting his own way, even as a pup and could get a bit stroppy

Cocker Spaniel - Katie I just liked the name

and the ones I have at present

Cocker Spaniels - Minstrel (Chocolate Roan) and Branston (he's a pickle) and finally Cockerpoo Toby

all latest 3 have other names not suitable for a forum  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 12:08:51 PM »
I like the name Duffy - was in the vets and a puppy was called Duffy
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed