Author Topic: Winter Coat?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
Winter Coat?
« on: July 08, 2017, 03:58:05 PM »
I know it's a little early to be asking this, but when the weather is cold and/or wet does your Cocker wear a coat?

Grace has a Hurrta pullover and a Ruff and Tumble drying coat - both used for after swimming to help her dry more quickly.

I'm thinking of getting her the Hurrta Summit Parka for this coming autumn/winter, but I'd really like some feedback on what other people here use. 

:)

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: Winter Coat?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 04:06:09 PM »
I think it depends on the health of your dog, how cold you expect the winter to be and how well your dog copes with the cold.

I don't have Bea clipped short so her coat dose it's job, I mainly use her Equafleece after a cold walk to keep her warm, keep the dirt in and dry her off , as she gets older I thnk I will use it more.

https://www.equafleece.co.uk/home

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 04:15:50 PM »
I think it depends on the health of your dog, how cold you expect the winter to be and how well your dog copes with the cold.

I don't have Bea clipped short so her coat dose it's job, I mainly use her Equafleece after a cold walk to keep her warm, keep the dirt in and dry her off , as she gets older I thnk I will use it more.

https://www.equafleece.co.uk/home

I guess that is something that I do question - does Grace need a coat?  She has never shown any sign of being cold when out unless she is wet - but so many people use coats now that last winter I thought I must be the bad mum to be taking her out in just her own coat? 

Offline ips

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 04:54:44 PM »
We use an equifleece they are brilliant. I mainly use it on the way home from a shoot to keep her warm but have been known to pop it on between drives if the weather is bad and we are hanging around.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 05:22:24 PM »
I let Henry's coat grow a bit longer in the winter and as long as he is on the move while outside, he doesn't seem to feel the cold. I pop his Equafleece on after a winter walk if he's wet.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 06:45:25 PM »
If it's raining, and it' not summer, Laurië has a raincoat on. If it's snowing she has a fleece body suit on. If it's below O°C she has a warm winter coat. She even has a sweater for cold, but dry, autumn days. She has a better wardrobe than I do if I'm honest  :lol: Huge fan of hurtta coats, they are not cheap, but the quality and fit is really good. Our dogs live inside with us and do not have coats for winter conditions so they do need some protection from the weather. Especially if it's wet or windy :) Now is probably a good time to see if winter coats are on offer, good thinking ahead!

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 06:47:30 AM »
The first winter Humphrey had an equafleece because we had loads if snow and it helped to stop the enormous snowballs that gathered in his fluffy puppy coat. We only tend to use it now if its cold and he's wet and not on the move - e.g. in the car. Humphrey's more comfortable in the cold than in this warm humid weather that we have at the moment to be honest!
He doesn't have a raincoat, - he's an "English" cocker spaniel, after all ;)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 08:13:52 AM »
My two, aged 13 and 8, have Equafleeces but they don't wear them when we're walking because they're active and stay warm naturally, even the clipped 13 year old.

But they wear them as drying coats after wet walks, and on really cold days they wear them in the car on the way home after a walk so that they don't get chilled while they're cooling down. If we were out for the day in the cold and planned to stop for a break I'd put the Equafleeces on them during the break, but not while we were walking.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »
Equafleece here too................must admit all down to COL that I bought it.....the two legged one though :005:
He does have a raincoat too but since the equafleece don't use it much.
It's all down to if Ollie is wet, if it's very cold after he is clipped etc other wise don't but one on for the sake of it.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 02:10:07 PM »
Seems that the Equafleece is favoured here - will definitely get one for Grace :)

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 03:07:05 PM »
Seems that the Equafleece is favoured here - will definitely get one for Grace :)

I'm not having any luck ordering an Equafleece as Grace's measurements confuse them - the nearest they think she might be is Dachsie size????

And it's the same problem with Hurrta too - she doesn't fit any of their standard sizes :(

If I take her basic measurements of neck 12.5", chest 20" and back length of 17" - does that really sound that odd for a Cocker?  She weighs 9.2kg?

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 04:07:22 PM »
Email Equafleece or give them a call and they will sort you out. I had to do the same.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 06:20:58 PM »
Same here - excellent service!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 11:02:59 AM »
After I fell out with equafleece (and got the most threatening and bizarre email from her - I questioned the fact she had posted about having just one litter re 2 crosses and selling them on her equafleece sales page on FB - my email to her was polite but her email back among other abuse threatened that she knew where I lived and would have a go if she was in the area - I'd bought 2 of her products previously) someone suggest snugglebug products

https://www.snugglebugdogclothing.co.uk/
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 02:44:17 PM »
Thank you Penny, they look nice!  I have now ordered an Equafleece polo neck coat for Grace so will see how that fits her first.