Author Topic: WCS coming alive to scent  (Read 635 times)

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

WCS coming alive to scent
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:35:16 PM »
Barnaby's now 7 months old and his nose seems to be getting more sensitive to scent by the day.

A week ago my wife returned from walking him not a little put out after encountering a number of hunters and their highly trained hunting dogs out on one of our favourite meadows. One of them forbade her to walk the meadow as they were out to track down and destroy a wild boar that some idiot had winged earlier in the day.

Two days later Master Band I were out on our evening walk when he picked up a scent  while ahead of me on the lane.  Yep you guessed it,  he found the boar that had so well eluded the local hunters hounds.

Fortunately, even though very excited he responded to my recall and didn't dive into the bushes where the pig was at bay.  In fact I didn't know it was the pig at that stage, only realising the danger when we approached with B on lead, to be greeted by deep grunts and the sound of an animal the size of a small car crashing around in the undergrowth. We beat a hasty retreat from what could have turned ugly.

Upon our return home I called the head forest gamekeeper to report the danger. Half an hour later we heard a retort and shortly afterwards the arrival of the gamekeeper at our gate to thank us for the call, and to congratulate us on having such a good hunting dog.  So our funny little English spaniel is now being regarded more seriously by the men in green.  We're proud of him.....

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: WCS coming alive to sent
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:45:28 AM »
Well done little man  :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: WCS coming alive to sent
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 07:11:14 AM »
Oh well done Mr. B, what a clever lad!! ! - you certainly put them in their place!!   :005:! That's made my morning!!   👍👍👍. GO COCKERS GO!!!!

Offline ips

Re: WCS coming alive to scent
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:23:06 AM »
Barnaby's now 7 months old and his nose seems to be getting more sensitive to scent by the day.

A week ago my wife returned from walking him not a little put out after encountering a number of hunters and their highly trained hunting dogs out on one of our favourite meadows. One of them forbade her to walk the meadow as they were out to track down and destroy a wild boar that some idiot had winged earlier in the day.

Two days later Master Band I were out on our evening walk when he picked up a scent  while ahead of me on the lane.  Yep you guessed it,  he found the boar that had so well eluded the local hunters hounds.

Fortunately, even though very excited he responded to my recall and didn't dive into the bushes where the pig was at bay.  In fact I didn't know it was the pig at that stage, only realising the danger when we approached with B on lead, to be greeted by deep grunts and the sound of an animal the size of a small car crashing around in the undergrowth. We beat a hasty retreat from what could have turned ugly.

Upon our return home I called the head forest gamekeeper to report the danger. Half an hour later we heard a retort and shortly afterwards the arrival of the gamekeeper at our gate to thank us for the call, and to congratulate us on having such a good hunting dog.  So our funny little English spaniel is now being regarded more seriously by the men in green.  We're proud of him.....

Good dog indeed 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline lescef

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:30:45 AM »
Just brilliant! ;)
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 10:38:04 AM »
Thanks for the congratulations guys.

Of course his new found hunter reputation could well come back to haunt us when the hunters next need to go looking for wounded quarry and turn to us for help.

There are not many wild boar in this area,  but the few that are are huge brutes.  Not the sort of hunting we want to expose our boy too really.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 02:42:50 PM »
Thanks for the congratulations guys.

Of course his new found hunter reputation could well come back to haunt us when the hunters next need to go looking for wounded quarry and turn to us for help.

There are not many wild boar in this area,  but the few that are are huge brutes.  Not the sort of hunting we want to expose our boy too really.
Well done Barnaby for finding the boar, but the hunters should have their own tracking dogs.  I'd not be exposing my dogs to the dangers of wild boar.  If they asked and you agreed to do it you'd be putting yourself as well as your dog in danger.  Think it's one of those 'just say no' scenarios.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 03:16:48 PM »
Exactly Emily.

We actually decided to get Barnaby after taking in a brown spaniel type quail hound that was lost in our village on new year's day this year.

That old boy bore heavy scarring on his stomach from a boar that nearly killed him in his youth.

For sure I'd not want to expose our squidgy little cocker to that sort of danger.  No will be the answer for sure.