Author Topic: On your bike!  (Read 717 times)

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

On your bike!
« on: July 18, 2017, 03:25:30 PM »
Last weekend saw Barnaby's first outing with us by bicycle.

He was a complete darling.  Only one attempt to jump out of the basket on the back of my bike,  but I was ready for him so no painful accidents were had.  At first I kept speed to a minimum,  but before long he got the message to sit tight and enjoyed the wind flapping his ears the faster we went.  I was surprised that like his predecessor Betty he quickly learned to move his head and body-weight to the correct side of the bike when we cornered.  Betty was amazing at this,  so much so that I think that she must have trained as a sidecar rider for the Isle of Mann TT at some point in her life:-)

On bumpy tracks we use,  he was allowed to run free.  And run he did with the grace that only cockers have in full motion.  Again he quickly got the gist of bicycles,  staying close but not too close.  My wife thinks that by the end of the summer she'll have him trained to run by command on whichever side of the bike she wants him to.

Pic to follow.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: On your bike!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 04:44:41 PM »
I think is great that you can still take him out for the day rather than leave at home
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline RooBea

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 07:54:28 AM »
Hello, what basket do you use for him? I am desperate to get a bike to take my girl out but we don't really have anywhere to cycle where should could run alongside me so if I have a basket for her then when we get somewhere open she can have a good run. I am worried I'm going to get a basket for a small toy dog as not many of them seem to be big enough! Thanks in advance [emoji16]

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 09:58:14 AM »
Re leaving at home,  wherever possible we like our dogs to come too. They are part of the family after all. Our old girl Betty even used to go roller blading with my wife,  frequently entailing running up to 10km non-stop.  And she kept this up even when she was 16 yrs old!  Beware that cockers and roller-blading are not a good match and it took a good number of tumbles and crashes before Betty got the hang of it.

Basket.  As mentioned in OP,  I'll eventually get round to posting a pic.   What we use sounds horrible but its completely effective:  On the back of my mountain bike I have a standard bolt-on pannier-rack.  On the top of the rack is mounted a square wire shopping basket ( I can measure it if you need dimensions).  Of course paws and tails( if he had one) would always falling through the basket and getting tangled in moving parts of the bike,  so I've lined it internally with some old carpet,  that's held in place with zip-ties. Oh,  yes,  and the shopping basket is attached to the rack also with zip-ties.  Final part of the set-up is a short lead with carabiners on each each end..... one attaches to the basket and the other to Barnaby's harness.... correctly adjusted the short lead makes it quite difficult for a wriggly cocker to jump out ( but not impossible:-(
We used this set-up for many years with Betty who was a big old girl at 17kg. It works jsuta s well with you B who's still only 10Kg.

Hope this helps?

Offline RooBea

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 10:41:11 AM »
Thank you ☺. My girl is around 15kgs so this sounds like it would work perfectly for her! I don't have a bike just yet, I am just looking into it for the moment but this is great advice!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 11:10:53 AM »
We go away in our Moho a lot, and most sites are out of town, which entails a lot of walking when you can't park in town (it's a large Vehicle) . We have a bike rack on it, and we have a couple of electric bikes, bit we've not yet taken a dog out with them. Two alternatives are the bar attachment, which I don,t fancy as I'm sure Dylan would pull us over, or one of those trailers the dog can sit in. They are quite expensive, but seem to be the safest. We're retired, so not spring chickens anymore! Don't know how Dylan would react to being on one. He's a big boy, 16kg, so I would,think any sort of basket would affect the balance of the bike. My balance is not the best, I'm sure he'd have me over.

Here's a link to one
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/biking_accessories/bike_trailers/291292

I'd like to try one first though.

Lesley and Dylan

Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 11:12:51 AM »
Thank you ☺. My girl is around 15kgs so this sounds like it would work perfectly for her! I don't have a bike just yet, I am just looking into it for the moment but this is great advice!

When choosing your bike,  make sure it will take a bolt-on pannier rack (the sort that attaches with 4 bolts)

There is a second sort of pannier rack that attaches to the bike with a clamp onto the frame around the rear brake caliper.  In my opinion this is not suitable,  especially for a 15kg load!

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 11:25:57 AM »
We go away in our Moho a lot, and most sites are out of town, which entails a lot of walking when you can't park in town (it's a large Vehicle) . We have a bike rack on it, and we have a couple of electric bikes, bit we've not yet taken a dog out with them. Two alternatives are the bar attachment, which I don,t fancy as I'm sure Dylan would pull us over, or one of those trailers the dog can sit in. They are quite expensive, but seem to be the safest. We're retired, so not spring chickens anymore! Don't know how Dylan would react to being on one. He's a big boy, 16kg, so I would,think any sort of basket would affect the balance of the bike. My balance is not the best, I'm sure he'd have me over.

Here's a link to one
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/biking_accessories/bike_trailers/291292

I'd like to try one first though.

Lesley and Dylan

Hi Finvarra,  Not far from retirement age here,  and we manage fine.  If you ever carried kids on bikes in the past,  cocker transporting isn't a whole lot different.  I guess it comes down to how confident you are on a bike,  and how wriggly Dylan would be.

The tag-along trailors are a good idea too and I've seen quite a few people using them to haul hounds.  Maybe on your travels it'd be a good idea to look out for a cycle hire company that also hires out trailers.  That way you could give it a try before making a sizeable cash outlay on a trailer of your own.

Our best ( and funniest) Cocker transport is our old tandem,  which has the rear seat-post converted to take the shopping basket mentioned earlier.  This was Betty's favorite way of travelling with us as she had loads more room to look around....and mine too as it meant that she didn't dribble all over me in her enthusiasm.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 11:54:20 AM »
We don,t have kids, so no experience there! Never thought about hiring one to try, I'll look into that, thanks. I'm not a confident cyclist, so something stable is a must.

Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 04:02:38 PM »
Definitely go for the tag-along then as a moving weight on a rear rack tends to steer the bike!!!