Author Topic: Leg problems -limping??  (Read 1010 times)

Offline rubyduby

Leg problems -limping??
« on: July 25, 2017, 06:38:29 PM »
I have noticed that my dog Topaz, as been limping quite badly after getting up from lying down. Initially I assumed she had just led 'funny' on it. But it has happened several times to varying degrees, from limping to carrying the leg. I have felt down the limb but cant feel anything  'out' or different. Checked her feet and no obvious problems , I massaged the leg joints and as much hip as i could and it seemed to improve...any ideas what the problem could be?

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
Re: Leg problems -limping??
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 10:31:32 PM »
How old is Topaz ?

Is it front or rear leg ?

Could be start of arthritis has she done anything odd recently jumped or twisted as could be a strain.
I would be thinking of taking her to the vet
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 07:50:34 PM »
Topaz is 7 and it is a back leg...she has no problem walking normally, no obvious problems at all, I first thought she may have twisted it , but it has happened several times and happening more regularly,, I am thinking arthiritis

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 08:32:13 PM »
Probably a good idea to see a vet if it has been going on for a while. Could be an arthrosis since it is only one leg. But could also be other things so best to have it looked at. I saw you posted about supplements, that is really important if this is arthrosis/arthritis so good thinking :)
Ingredients like glucosamine, chondroitin, omega 3 and antioxidants can do wonders. Easiest is probably to get a product that contains all of this so you get a proper dosage.
I have a dog with a knee that developed arthrosis. She got much better when I switched her on to joint specific vet diet, but if you are raw feeding or something then supplements can be an option.
I have also started my dog on treatments with a medicine called cartrophen (not the NSAID carprofen, a newer drug with more benefits and less side effects). This will slow down the deterioration and act as pain management, it works better when applied earlier rather than waiting until it's really bad so good to know about.
But first you should see a vet and make sure this is the problem. Will probably only need a quick x-ray to confirm if it is actually is arthrosis and then you'll know ;)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 12:35:50 AM »
I would see a vet - sometimes it may not be their leg or hip even as it can be a back or neck problem that does this. At 7 my vet suggests putting dogs on yumove advance, which I have 2 on at the moment
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:52:24 PM »
It might a luxating patella. I would get him checked over at the vet asap.

Offline jasminepoppy

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 03:17:49 PM »
My 9 year old cocker has been doing this too & I asked for her to have hip & knee X-rays when she went in for her first teeth clean about a month ago. Hips fine but they have noticed "changes" in her knee joints with back right being the worst. I was told that the 1st priority is for her to lose a lot of weight (changed her food, no more snacks/bonios etc) & keep exercising to build up muscle in knees. She weighs just over 17kg & we're off to her 3rd weigh in this afternoon 😬. I'm booking another appt with the vet too as she limps a lot after a walk (doesn't put her back paw down) & I can't tell if she is in pain/discomfort or not. I didn't see the X-rays & I regret that. I am worried that this could be a ligament problem & I don't know how they diagnose that - I'll post back here when I know more as this forum has been invaluable to me for almost 10 years now!

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 06:46:18 PM »
Yes my girl is around 17 kg so have started to cut down on her food, common sense tells me she will be better without carrying too much weight ,