Author Topic: Zak George - loose leash training  (Read 976 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Zak George - loose leash training
« on: July 28, 2017, 11:44:25 AM »
Just had this pop up on my facebook page and thought it might be interesting for some of you who've not seen him before. . I've watched a lot of these Zak George videos, they are commercial so you have to always have to watch a few minutes of him plugging the products first, but  I do like his style. Maybe not for everyone, but thought I'd pass it on, I think we're all grateful for ANYthing that could help!! ... ;)
 https://youtu.be/robvs9OuZdk

Offline Emma0Milo

Re: Zak George - loose leash training
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 11:58:00 AM »
That video was very interesting bizzylizzy [emoji3]. My pup will not fetch, well he will but he won't drop when he returns and doesn't seem overly interested so something I really need to work on, along with the loose lead training [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 12:02:14 PM »
I've watched a few of his videos. Loose leash doesn't work for my dog because he gets very excited pulling and constantly sniffing not concentrating on what's going on when out for walks and he has a tendency to mark a lot if I don't have him close by my side. I live in an urban environment a lot of hazards here such as cars, busy roads, cats, dogs etc. If I have him heeling when on lead I know he's safe and he's much calmer because he has to think about what he's doing. when we get to the park I'll let him off leash and he can run around and do whatever.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 12:05:22 PM »
My Marley isn't overly interested in playing when out for walks. It's something to do with the evironment I think. Too many doggy smells. Try practising on concrete where he can't smell other dogs. He also keeps the ball and wants me to chase him. This is the main problem I have with him. How to get him to retrieve.

Offline ips

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 12:13:36 PM »
Um,
Eze will retrieve (fetch) all day, you can have her free running all day, working all day but this would have no effect on how good or bad she is on a lead. The only way I can see playing "fetch" for an hour before lead training would work is if your high energy dog hasn't got as much high energy as you think and you have tired it out completely. Believe me a true working dog will "go" all day and still want more.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 12:18:22 PM »
My Marley isn't overly interested in playing when out for walks. It's something to do with the evironment I think. Too many doggy smells. Try practising on concrete where he can't smell other dogs. He also keeps the ball and wants me to chase him. This is the main problem I have with him. How to get him to retrieve.

Its a strange thing that many hunt / retrieve dogs will not retrieve and even if they do they do not necessarily want to keep hold of it hence the thoroughly barbaric method mainly used in US but a lighter version also done in UK known as "force fetch" so contrary to popular belief it would appear that gundog breeds are not hard wired to retrieve 😞
Ps
I strongly suggest nobody googles for youtube clips of force fetch.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 12:26:01 PM »
My dog will retrieve he will chase the ball but he often drops it and not bring it back or he will guard it. He loses interest after a few minutes. It's frustrating because I see lots of dogs retrieving nicely when I'm out in the park.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »
Interesting. Milo retrieved right from a pup, and I've never had to teach any of my previous nine dogs to retrieve, but Dylan won't fetch. He likes to chase a ball, but once he has got it he either runs off with it and drops it, drops it straightaway and walks away, or just sits by it waiting for us to walk over and throw it for him again. Tried everything to get him to fetch but he can't seem to get the concept between his ears, it's really frustrating. I always thought gundogs would be natural retrievers  :huh:

Lesley and Dylan 
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ips

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 04:11:36 PM »
That's the popular belief but it would seem not 😁

Maybe it depends on what you and how you train from the beginning. Eze needed no encouragement or indeed much if any training t retrieve to hand in fact a sat present took a matter of days.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »
Ips I'm so jealous. I didn't get Marley till he was seven months old. He was living in kennels in someone's back yard. His previous owner said he got him for his young daughter but she didn't want him. Not sure if I believe that. He's also got a scar under his left eye. The guy said Marley had been fighting with his father. Anyway I don't think that's helped the little man. I don't think he's had much love and attention till I got him.