Author Topic: Pup leash  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Arrielle

Pup leash
« on: July 28, 2017, 01:25:11 PM »
Hello everyone,
In about 2 month I am going to bring home my first English Cocker Spaniel and I would really appreciate some pieces of advice regrading the products he needs.
 Based on your experience, what products do you think work the best?

1. crate (type and size). I want to buy a crate that he can use it at his tallest too.
2. leash
3. harness (type) While a pup, is it sufficient a collar and a leash only, or he is going to need a harness?
4. products for teething period
5. any other products you experienced as helping.

Thank you very much

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Pup leash
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 01:54:05 PM »
How exciting :)

1: If the crate is for travelling: ask breeder about the parents size since it should not be too big or too small. If you intend to use a crate at home for longer periods of time I would say get the largest size you can fit in your house. Or better yet, get a baby gates to limit access to certain parts of the house so you don't need a crate. Better for the puppy to not be confined to a crate   :blink:

2: Leash: I think everyone has their own preference. I like having small clips and I like nylon leashes with a clip in each end and several rings for attachement. But that's just my personal preference. I would make sure it is longer than 150cm as a minimum. I like 180cm for loose lead walking in the city and flexi for walking in nature (unless I can have the dog off lead).

3: Yes harness. At least until the dog knows how to walk without pulling. I prefer harness for all dogs as it is safer, but definitely for a happy puppy bouncing around, pulling the leash. An adjustable H-harness should do the trick in the beginning. There are tons of different types and everyone has their favourite. But a simple H harness is always a good start. I've tried several types but went back to this type in the end and have stuck with it for years now. Again preference, but it should fit well and not restrict movement of shoulders or be to high in the neck and that is easy to achieve with an adjustable H-harness.

4: Carrots are safe and can be served cooled. Pressed oxhide is a favorite here. But probably safest to stick with the ground up type that is pressed together. Kong or other toys that can be stuffed (not necessarily just for teething, but a frozen stuffed kong wil keep a pup occupied for a while). I like giving dried meat as well.

5: Treats and books on training and a camera with a huge memory card  :005: Just because you can never get enough pics of the worlds most wonderful dog...your own. Oh and a cheap dogbed as the first one is likely to get nibbled on, if not completely shredded. Best to save the money and upgrade when the puppy stops chewing everything in sight

Offline juju

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 04:50:40 PM »
Izzy has two metal crates (one in the kitchen and one in the car.) The kitchen crate is never shut now but it's her den and I cover it with a blanket or two to make it cosy. I still have the gate between the kitchen and the living room. This has been one of the most useful purchases. I don't know whether you saw the puppy programme last night but I was amazed the amount of access in the house that was given to the gorgeous retriever puppy. Izzy was extremely lively and excitable as a pup and I think it would have made training much harder if she had been allowed to run free in the house.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 05:16:15 PM »
All the above, plus old clothes, welly boots, a safe place to keep your socks, wine, chocolate and a huge sense of humour!!!
Best of luck and keep us posted!!!👍

Offline Arrielle

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 06:28:34 PM »
Izzy has two metal crates (one in the kitchen and one in the car.) The kitchen crate is never shut now but it's her den and I cover it with a blanket or two to make it cosy. I still have the gate between the kitchen and the living room. This has been one of the most useful purchases. I don't know whether you saw the puppy programme last night but I was amazed the amount of access in the house that was given to the gorgeous retriever puppy. Izzy was extremely lively and excitable as a pup and I think it would have made training much harder if she had been allowed to run free in the house.

Yes, I plan to keep him crated for a while and I also plan to keep the living-room and the bedroom gated.  Based on a few books that I read and based on the experience I have with an old dog, unsupervised access, as well as access to the entire house - does not do anything good to the dog. When I met my husband, he already had a dog, approximately 8 years of age. She is a rescue and she was allowed to be everywhere she pleased. When we moved together and when I got to be around her all the time, I realized that she would not listen to any word we said: she would not come when called, not stop doing what she was doing when told to...etc. In time I start to suspect that her lack of attention may be connected to the complete freedom she has in the house. And so I started reading some books and also I put a gate to the living-room and one to our bedroom. Suffice to say, in 3-4 month our dog behaves like a complete different one: she listens, comes when told " home" (from the back yard), and she controls her jumping impulses much better now.

Offline Arrielle

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 06:32:37 PM »
How exciting :)

1: If the crate is for travelling: ask breeder about the parents size since it should not be too big or too small.
Do you know what dimensions would be comfortable for an ECS?

2: Leash: I think everyone has their own preference. I like having small clips and I like nylon leashes with a clip in each end and several rings for attachement. But that's ju st my personal preference. I would make sure it is longer than 150cm as a minimum. I like 180cm for loose lead walking in the city and flexi for walking in nature (unless I can have the dog off lead).

3: Yes harness.
Could you please post an website / brand so that I would know precisely what you think it's good?

4: Carrots are safe and can be served cooled. Pressed oxhide is a favorite here. But probably safest to stick with the ground up type that is pressed together. Kong or other toys that can be stuffed (not necessarily just for teething, but a frozen stuffed kong wil keep a pup occupied for a while). I like giving dried meat as well.

THANK YOU
[/color]

Offline Arrielle

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 06:36:08 PM »
Izzy has two metal crates (
could you give me the dimensions please?
Thank you

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 07:18:43 PM »

1: If the crate is for travelling: ask breeder about the parents size since it should not be too big or too small.
Do you know what dimensions would be comfortable for an ECS?
I'm afraid mine is in the attic so I'm not sure of the measurements, sorry. I think it's a vari kennel medium (28 x 20.5 x 21.5 inches) if I remember correctly. It is a good size for my cocker girl when we travel. We would go for a bigger one if we used it at home :)

Could you please post an website / brand so that I would know precisely what you think it's good?
My current favourite is roggz, I think it stays on nicely, we have size M for my adult cocker. http://www.rogz.com/product/fancy-dress-cool-graphics-h-harness/ I also love ruffwears webmaster harness but it's a little expensive for a puppy to grow out of. We have a webmaster in xs as ruffwear sizes tend to be big and my girl is smallish.

THANK YOU
[/color]

You're welcome, I love talking dog products! My friends say they spend too much money on fashion for themselves. I have holes in my t-shirts but the dog has matching sets of harnesses and leashes :005: Her raincoat actually cost more than my own  :lol: But at least I don't waste money on shoes and make-up  :angel:

Offline juju

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 10:04:42 AM »
Izzy's crates are both the standard metal crates with removable trays and two doors. The one now in the car is her original kitchen one which I divided off when she was a puppy. The car crate measures 30" long, 22" wide and 24" deep. The kitchen one is slightly longer. Both crates fold up easily. Metal crates are useful as you can attach puppy fencing to them. I have a Vauxhall Agila car so the crate fits in easily. I took the kitchen one with us when we went camping recently which meant the car crate could stay in the car. I do the same when we go on our dog activity holiday when the kitchen crate is put up in our bedroom. Izzy is quite happy to be in her crate with the door closed when we are away.

Offline juju

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 10:07:46 AM »
Sorry.......I forgot to say that Izzy is quite tall so you might manage with a slightly smaller crate if yours looks like being on the dinky side.

Offline Arrielle

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 08:40:00 PM »
Izzy's crates are both the standard metal crates with removable trays and two doors.
Thank you

Offline Arrielle

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 01:23:46 PM »
My current favourite is roggz, I think it stays on nicely, we have size M for my adult cocker.
What size would you recommend for a 2.5 month old? Do these harnesses expand so that I can use the same one until it breaks? Or I am going to buy one harness for when he is a pup and one for when he is an adult? Thanks again for taking the time to answer :)

You're welcome, I love talking dog products!
[/quote] I love talking about any products although I am the first to preach "few but good quality and move on"

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »
My current favourite is roggz, I think it stays on nicely, we have size M for my adult cocker.
What size would you recommend for a 2.5 month old? Do these harnesses expand so that I can use the same one until it breaks? Or I am going to buy one harness for when he is a pup and one for when he is an adult? Thanks again for taking the time to answer :)
I don't know what size would fit. I think the size my girl has (I think it's a medium) would be too big for a puppy. It can still be made bigger, but some of the straps I have on the smallest adjustment and so would not fit a much smaller dog. I would probably go for a S with a puppy if I had to guess. Yes they can be expanded alot, the straps are narrower on smaller sizes unfortunately but they are very adjustable so the harness can grow with the puppy. But I am not sure about the sizing. Maybe someone with a puppy knows. My girl is 11 years old now so it's been a while since I had to think pupy sizes :)

You're welcome, I love talking dog products!
I love talking about any products although I am the first to preach "few but good quality and move on"
[/quote]
Totally agree on the few but good quality in theory, but after 11 years as a dog owner those few things are not so few anymore  ph34r Even the more affordable brands like trixie tend to have decent quality so things last!