Author Topic: tic left in  (Read 1147 times)

Offline ips

tic left in
« on: July 28, 2017, 05:36:37 PM »
Eze had a huge tic under her leg, I removed it with tic tool (it was well stuck) however I think the head or part of something is still in but I cant get it out. My vet is away but back tomorrow morning. Will it be ok until tomorrow or should I be worried??
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: tic left in
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 05:48:40 PM »
This is exactly what happened to Marley 2 weeks ago.  I had used a Tom Twister which usually removes the tick very cleanly but this time it didn't.  I was worried as I had heard that if part of the tick is left in it can cause an infection. I was also worried about Lyme's disease that ticks can transmit.
I looked up what to do on line
http://benadrylfordogs.info/ticks/what-to-do-when-you-have-a-tick-head-stuck-in-dog/
Most articles said it 'shouldn't' cause any problems.
I cleaned the site and put a cone on her to stop her licking it.
Now, she is not even bothering to lick it and it has healed up nicely.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline feelreid

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 05:55:58 PM »
This happened a couple weeks ago with my sisters dog, she was told just to leave it and the body would push it out, just to keep it clean and dry, as poking about with it can make it worse.  It went a bit like a scab and then came off after about 10 days.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Offline ips

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 06:04:47 PM »
Phew thank you for that it has put my mind at rest.
She isn't licking it . There is definitely something still in as I can see a tiny black bit, the area looks a bit red like a spot.
What type of antiseptic should I put on it, I think we only have tcp and savlon

Edit
Found antiseptic spray in medicine cupboard  👍

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 06:39:14 PM »
That's happened to me a couple of times in the past, - I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on it and if it starts looking nasty, then see the vet but 9.5 times out of 10 it'll be fine, - I've never had a problem so far.....

Offline ips

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »
Thanks BL 👍

I found a tiny bit of tea tree stuff so rubbed a bit of that on, it doesn't look as red / sore now in fact I couldn't see the black bit 😊

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 07:04:54 PM »
Tea tree "stuff"  ( :005:), is just fine, its great for disinfecting and helping the healng process! 👍

Offline lescef

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 07:24:09 PM »
http://www.bada-uk.org/correct-tick-removal#1

It would appear that ticks do not have heads.....

Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 07:39:23 PM »
http://www.bada-uk.org/correct-tick-removal#1

It would appear that ticks do not have heads.....

That's interesting, does make you wonder why all these myths come about, I was always under the impression that it was better to get the "head" out and I've always "twistd the tick in a clockwise direction.....but we live and learn! Thanks for the info!!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 10:04:46 PM »
I think some of these myths come about because literally anyone can write what they believe to be true about a particular subject can publish it on the web and if enough people believe it - it slowly but surely becomes fact.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »
This year I've only had to remove one tick from Barnaby,  but in the past it was a daily ritual with Betty.

Very occasionally they don't come out cleanly and on those occasions we've just done the usual of  applying disinfectant to the bite.

Of course there is a risk of Lymes disease, but I reckon that if already attached,  the disease risk is already there.  Unless your attempts at dislodging the tick made it regurgitate while still attached,  the risk of disease is not increased.

Just keep an eye on the skin around the bite for a few days. A unusual discoloration/  radial or concentric would be cause for concern and a visit to the vet.

I'm guessing that Eze is blissfully unaware of your worries though:-)

Offline ips

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 11:30:20 AM »
This year I've only had to remove one tick from Barnaby,  but in the past it was a daily ritual with Betty.

Very occasionally they don't come out cleanly and on those occasions we've just done the usual of  applying disinfectant to the bite.

Of course there is a risk of Lymes disease, but I reckon that if already attached,  the disease risk is already there.  Unless your attempts at dislodging the tick made it regurgitate while still attached,  the risk of disease is not increased.

Just keep an eye on the skin around the bite for a few days. A unusual discoloration/  radial or concentric would be cause for concern and a visit to the vet.

I'm guessing that Eze is blissfully unaware of your worries though:-)

Thanks for that.
I cant see the black bit today, there is a small scar and its a bit red but looks ok now. Phew.

Have ordered the O tom thing from amazon as it looks better than the wire one I have. Its funny really as I was having a brew with my gamekeeper friend at 2pm conversation went onto tics, when he was keepering in Scotland they had lots I mentioned that eze had only had about four in re last two years. I then had a walk around the estate got home and found the huge tic 😞 unbelievable coincidence.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 01:50:28 PM »
Its the damper weather I think, we haven't had many all the time it was hot and dry but after a few days of rain everywhere's more humid and the little ****** are fighting fit again. >:D

Offline ips

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 07:44:17 PM »
Another one today, can you believe that. Luckily my O tom arrived on sat from mr amazon and it removed the little blighter very well. 👍