Author Topic: Should we be concerned  (Read 791 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Should we be concerned
« on: August 11, 2017, 12:23:50 PM »
As the days go bye more and more countries are being named as receiving possible contaminated eggs, as the numbers grow and the health concern fly around - I am once again drawn to the use of this and other chemicals on our beloved dogs.

Finopril is in Frontline to name just one product, but in others also.  I am once again drawn to recent unpleasant conversation with the veterinary nurse a couple of months back who told me that I was under dosing Ollie by choosing to use a certain strength of product, her exact words " your are doing your dog no favours" my reasoning was simple Ollie was borderline on weight ( he is small at under 10.10kg) and while the lower dose still works I will use that(4kg to 10kg).  Should it not I will combine the under 4kg with the one I use as this would amount to a combined weight of 14kg.

While all the regulators are saying that it is highly unlikely the effects of Finopril in the food chain will effect us,  I am becoming more concerned of what is it doing to our pets, surely the vast differences in choosing 10 - 20 kg is alarming, how can they justify this wide variation in weight when prescribing.  The weight ratio to me  is baffling - for want of a better word.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
Re: Should we be concerned
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 01:00:19 PM »
I had the same problem with Grace - she gained some weight and was just over 10kg and so I was told I had to use Advocate for 10kg + or it wouldn't work.  In the end, I agreed to buy one single dose and over the next few weeks got Grace back below 10kg - her weight at the moment is between 9.2 and 9.4kg.  I've only used the treatment occasionally as I don't feel it's right to apply chemicals every single month, or at all really - and the recent egg scare made me wonder again what on earth it is we are putting on our dogs. 

I have recently been reading up on the products available that are supposed to deal with fleas, ticks, etc without the use of chemicals - mainly via the My Itchy Dog website and have ordered the worm count kits which hopefully will avoid me having to give Grace Drontal every three months. 

Sadly, I have just given her a dose of Advocate as I found some fleas on her and realised that I needed to do something - but moving forward it would be nice to be able to rely on the other natural products available - the reviews seem to be quite mixed as to how effective they are - it would be good to hear from anyone here that has experience and can vouch for any of the natural products.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 01:03:53 PM »
As the days go bye more and more countries are being named as receiving possible contaminated eggs, as the numbers grow and the health concern fly around - I am once again drawn to the use of this and other chemicals on our beloved dogs.

Finopril is in Frontline to name just one product, but in others also.  I am once again drawn to recent unpleasant conversation with the veterinary nurse a couple of months back who told me that I was under dosing Ollie by choosing to use a certain strength of product, her exact words " your are doing your dog no favours" my reasoning was simple Ollie was borderline on weight ( he is small at under 10.10kg) and while the lower dose still works I will use that(4kg to 10kg).  Should it not I will combine the under 4kg with the one I use as this would amount to a combined weight of 14kg.

While all the regulators are saying that it is highly unlikely the effects of Finopril in the food chain will effect us,  I am becoming more concerned of what is it doing to our pets, surely the vast differences in choosing 10 - 20 kg is alarming, how can they justify this wide variation in weight when prescribing.  The weight ratio to me  is baffling - for want of a better word.

Yep same here it is quite baffling why a 10kg dog would need the same dosage as a 20kg, surely the percentage of active chemical in the dog's system would be much higher in a 10kg and very likely that would not be a good thing in my opinion. If you do as they recommend and dose every month (which I don't) then there must come a time when you are overdosing the dog if you used the 10-20 dosage on a 10kg dog  :dunno:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 01:20:05 PM »
I don't dose mine monthly with flea/ tick products, but I particularly don't like the ones like advocate that treat both internal and external parasites.  If you think about it the toxin must be circulated throughout the body, entering through the skin right into the digestive system, and still being effective once there.  That cannot be good for any animal.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline lescef

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 02:02:43 PM »
It makes me wonder  if anything we eat is safe 

These things are meant to be preventative, but in nearly three years of not using any chemicals on my two we have only had a low case of hookworm (found by wormcount) but nothing else, so surely this shows the chemicals aren't needed. I do use reluctantly use Advocate when we go on holiday to dog friendly cottages. I'm not against these chemicals but only when needed. I am looking into more natural remedies or preventatives but there seems to be so many things suggested. Garlic is one I'm going to try. ;)
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 02:09:20 PM »
Diversing a little, I was listening to a discussion on the radio yesterday about antibiotics and the growing problem of immunity through over use. The point being made was, that they're usually packed and prescribed for convenient time periods - 7 days, 14 days etc rather than the time that's needed for the bacteria to be eradicated, which obviously varies considerably, plus we're always told how important it is, to "finish the course" The problem isn't just applicable to antibiotics but to all sorts of medication, including veterinary. I think it really boils down to the mass production and packaging of everything these days which forces us to buy and use more than we need and its obviously the same applies here. The answer would be for  the vets to be able purchase things "loose" and prescribe accordingly, - like the chemists used to do, instead of having to buy in amounts detemined by the pharma suppliers. In the end, it always comes down IMO to the power of the industry who have no interest in the end users other than financial gain,
Humphrey started scratching constantly with his tick collar so I removed it and I haven't used anything else this year, - he gets a spoon of coconut oil a couple of times a week and very occasionally I've rubbed a bit into his coat but other than that, I've decided I'll deal with any problems if and when they arise, - he's had a couple of ticks which I've removed and luckily none of my dogs have ever had fleas or mites.
There is very little we can do, I fear, other than be aware, have the courage to question and accept that we, not the vets, have the ultimate responsibility for our pet's welfare.

Just crossed with the last thread - Humphrey now also gets garlic, bit smelly but it masks the stink of the fresh  tripe he gets once a week!!! !!  :005:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 04:38:21 PM »
Jayne we had that theory on TV over here about 2 weeks ago, basically knocking the theory that you should always finish the course, to rather stop taking them when you feel you are improved/better....................

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed