Author Topic: Behaviour help  (Read 2071 times)

Offline muckypups

• Lifes easy when your a Dog
Behaviour help
« on: August 23, 2017, 09:34:21 AM »
Hi there, it's been a long time since I needed your help but Buddy is now ten years old and turning into a grumpy old man. 
To be fair he's brilliant, has never bitten or been aggressive but he hates his rear being touched my mistake. It's hard to explain but if your striking or playing with him it's fine it's then it's touched unexpectedly. So if he's sleeping or just standing and a dog comes up and sniffs his rear ( and he hadn't seen him) then he'll tell the dog off. If he'd seen him and was doing the general dog sniffing they do then it would have been fine.
Anyway layrjey he's been telling humans off too if they touch him there by mistake. I.e he was sleeping by picnic gag and friend moved him by the big yo get back and he barked, told her off. Didn't bite but if he did that to s child or something then I can imagine the parent would jof be happy.
He's fab with my toddler grandchild and never told her off despite her clambering on him etc but I'm worried invade this escalates.
I was thinking of maybe buying a lead to warn others but I don't want people thinking he's a dangerous dog. Also would something like nutracalm help him.
Sorry about long post, I just want to explain it properly. He's just the best family dog but this butt problem is worrying me.
Thankyou
Ps he's not in pain btw, he was herded by a Doberman when younger which left him nervous about the rear area but thought he'd got over it

AKA Buddy

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Behaviour help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 10:15:03 AM »
I can't really think what it could be........if people or dogs come up on him around his butt, could it be either he is maybe a little deaf and he can't hear them or his peripheral vision is not as good as it was(if indeed dogs have peripheral vision).

It could be his a long standing phobia after the incident with the Doberman and his hearing/sight is deteriorating - this is causing him to be on guard more.  Hence his behaviour changing.

Has Buddy had problems with his anal glands, sometimes they can get abscesses round there, Ollie my dog had one a couple years back.

Something is wrong bless him, so a trip to the vet might be for the best.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 11:02:42 AM »
What Jaysmum said, I would get him checked over. Good luck!

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »
The Yellow Dog Project was designed for dogs that need space - as dogs sometimes need space for all sort of reasons - sometimes you just don't need to explain why either

http://www.yellowdoguk.co.uk/
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!