Author Topic: Adolescence or aggression?  (Read 4800 times)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Adolescence or aggression?
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 05:48:24 PM »
There is a Leek is in Staffordshire, roughly 2.5 hours drive from Peterborough, approx 108 miles.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2017, 06:02:15 PM »
Funnily enough, Staffordshire is where we got Leo from, could be the same game keeper haha.
Trying very hard tonight to teach Leo to 'settle'. Works great providing I keep the kibble treats coming, when I try to lengthen the time between kibble he either whimpers or moves in for the kill 😂... he will settle with rawhide chews but I don't like him having them too much.
I know he is tired!!!!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 06:06:04 PM »
As an alternative to rawhide, have you tried bully sticks? Saved my sanity when Henry was young! Also good quality paddywack is good for keeping them occupied.

Don't worry about the slow progress with the 'settle' - it takes time. It's so good to hear you are making progress. This forum is a godsend for first time cocker owners, I know from first hand!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 06:19:25 PM »
Thanks Londongirl, I have seen the bully sticks before but we have had many many issues with Leos tummy! He has had anal gland issues since we got him until we have put him onto salmon and potatoe wainwrights... anything else seems to start unsettling his tummy so we have to be careful what we give them. I've been giving him the rawhide recently just because he settles well with it but would like a longer term option that dosnt effect his tummy.  Are bully sticks fairly natural?
This forum has been a godsend this week to be honest. I feel so much more positive and as if I'm not the only one!
I strongly feel more and more that I have worried about isolating him too much and feel cruel if I don't let him be close to us etc but on reflection this week, knowing that he settles beautifully in his bed without us present, i feel I may just have expected too much from him.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 06:39:21 PM »
Bully sticks are completely natural. Henry has a very sensitive stomach and can't have any commercial treats or chews, but is fine with bully.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 07:06:44 PM »
Thanks Londongirl,I'll look into that tonight,
So Leo is currently in what we call his 'pen'  it's basically part of the hallway leading from the lounge to the kitchen blocked off with two Stairgates. He has his bed, water bowl and some toys in there, tonight he's gone in there, led in his bed and gone straight to sleep, great!!! However I feel guilty because he's not technically in the same room as us. Am I too soft?! He's clearly tired and not distressed by being in there. I worry that I am being cruel by him being physically barriered from us? But please someone just be blunt and tell me I'm too soft if this is the case!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2017, 07:16:50 PM »
You're too soft! If he's happy, he's fine. Henry regularly takes himself off to another room to chill out. When he wants to be with us, he's like a little shadow, but he's also more than fine with his own company.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 07:22:20 PM »
Thankyou londongirl. I feel I just need the reassurance that I'm not doing some form of mental damage by him being effectively locked away from us while he is learning to settle!
I feel I treat him too much like I would a child!
Leo has... many twice recently.. chosen to stay asleep in another room from us so I feel that may be the start of him learning.. the kitchen is his safe place I feel !
Thanks again

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 08:12:55 PM »
Thankyou londongirl. I feel I just need the reassurance that I'm not doing some form of mental damage by him being effectively locked away from us while he is learning to settle!
I feel I treat him too much like I would a child!
Leo has... many twice recently.. chosen to stay asleep in another room from us so I feel that may be the start of him learning.. the kitchen is his safe place I feel !
Thanks again

Sounds like real progress  :D

I found it incredibly hard with the first one (Pearl) and took her everywhere, let her sleep upstairs, was with me wherever I went including the bathroom  :lol: not only did I create a whirling dervish but she had horrendous separation anxiety - I'll never forget going to Lynton in Devon with friends - they stayed outside a shop with their Tibetan Terrier and Pearl while I and my friend Sue popped into the shop.......Pearl howled like a banshee! :o. She doesn't even notice when I'm not with her now and although still an anxious dog is so very much better than she used to be.  This in part as she has Coral to give her attention not just me and at OH house there are two humans and 3 other cockers......

You will get over the guilt.  Dogs do really well living in kennels outside, often wcs are better behaved in these circumstances as they only get "hands on reward" or attention when the owner says - that usually needs to be earned  ;). Clearly Leo is a much loved and very typical cocker spaniel  :005:

Ashbourne is a bit of a distance to travel but if you are happy to do so once a month then I would highly recommend Lara at Ironpitts Gundogs.  Let her know I've recommended her due to her positive training methods and say hello for me.  I'm the other side of Shropshire so it's a bit of a journey for me but I have been over several times and will be attending her novice dog day on a local shoot!  I'll have a look for trainers a bit closer to home for you as well!

Jayne

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2017, 08:25:50 PM »
Hi Jayne,
Many thanks for the trainer tips, my partner is in the military and goes away for 4 months in October, I don't know anyone where I live but that may be the perfect opportunity for me to travel to do some training! Will keep me busy. I'm currently enquiring about joining the world scent dog association aswell as they do a lot!

I think with Leo, the fact he has never had an issue with separation anxiety etc has made me feel as though he is perfectly ok to have my undivided attention when I am around! He is an absolute angel when I go for a meeting, I've never left him for longer than 3.5 hours but he would probably go longer if I asked him to!
Saying that, my partner goes to work 7-5 and upon his return, Leo cries if he even steps a foot outside the room.... god forbid the week he leaves for 4 months! 😂

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 09:36:49 PM »
Thanks Londongirl, I have seen the bully sticks before but we have had many many issues with Leos tummy! He has had anal gland issues since we got him until we have put him onto salmon and potatoe wainwrights... anything else seems to start unsettling his tummy so we have to be careful what we give them. I've been giving him the rawhide recently just because he settles well with it but would like a longer term option that dosnt effect his tummy.  Are bully sticks fairly natural?
This forum has been a godsend this week to be honest. I feel so much more positive and as if I'm not the only one!
I strongly feel more and more that I have worried about isolating him too much and feel cruel if I don't let him be close to us etc but on reflection this week, knowing that he settles beautifully in his bed without us present, i feel I may just have expected too much from him.

My Archie has also got a sensitive tum which was sorted by wainwrights salmon and potato food! He too has limited treats but I give him fish skin chews that I get from pets at home. They don't last as long as a bully stick (which Archie won't touch!) but they are gentle on the stomach.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2017, 05:38:54 PM »
A little progress over the weekend everyone. Leo behaved beautifully when we had a house full of guests this weekend (his human uncle's and aunties)
Biting seems to be lessening, he isn't going into 'wild frenzied  as much and the biting also seems to be hurting less.
He has also started curling up in my lap for the past 4 evenings, which is obviously lovely however, is there any issues with allowing these cuddles while I'm trying to gain control over situations?
I've stopped being so soft and every time he's tired but not settling im  putting him behind the gate for chill out, he just falls straight asleep every time

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2017, 09:27:35 PM »
A little progress over the weekend everyone. Leo behaved beautifully when we had a house full of guests this weekend (his human uncle's and aunties)
Biting seems to be lessening, he isn't going into 'wild frenzied  as much and the biting also seems to be hurting less.
He has also started curling up in my lap for the past 4 evenings, which is obviously lovely however, is there any issues with allowing these cuddles while I'm trying to gain control over situations?
I've stopped being so soft and every time he's tired but not settling im  putting him behind the gate for chill out, he just falls straight asleep every time

It does sound as though he was over tired and by allowing him some time on his own he will be becoming a nice little dog  :D

Allowing him on your knee  :huh: so long as it's on your terms then I'm sure it's fine - after all that's one of the reasons you have him?  By on YOUR terms I mean, he's behaved himself and earned the privilege (calm, not nipping etc) and you've called him to you and given permission for him to be up there  ;). I'm sure others will have other views but there's nothing better than a cocker cuddle  :005:

Offline lescef

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2017, 09:32:19 PM »
Well done - small steps! ;)
Bramble would cuddle all day if I let her! I think cuddles should be on your terms not theirs. So, Bramble comes constantly during the evening hoping I'll let her up. I send her away until she is lying quietly, and hopefully forgotten what she wanted, then I call her up. Be interesting to see what others do.  :D
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline hoover

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2017, 10:08:43 PM »
Ollie used to guard chairs, sofas and beds when he was on them and would guard when sitting on someone's lap if anyone else came near, so we had probably about a half year period from 6 months to 12 months when he wasn't allowed on any furniture.  After this we were able to get more reliable control over him and paired an 'up' command with a 'off' command for sofas and when he had stopped snapping and growling altogether and was pretty consistent with the off command we allowed him up again for cuddles.  We had a couple of difficult moments when he decided to bring a treasured toy to our laps and a few minutes later started to guard it but we sussed that out pretty quickly and ordered him away from us immediately if we thought this might happen.  If you aren't having those sorts of problems I don't see any issues.