Author Topic: Squirrel on crack mark 2....  (Read 2445 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Squirrel on crack mark 2....
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 05:35:52 PM »
Um, strange concept. Not knocking it you understand and if it works for folk then off you go 👍

Did you watch the video bizzylizzy posted? Very interesting in how it negates the opposition reflex.
Yes I watched it, its a new one on me 👍

I was wondering if I muttered "Ommmmmm" while I was stroking the lead, if it would calm me aswell!
 :005:

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 05:40:14 PM »
 :lol2: ive certainly needed to close my eyes and stamp my feet a few times whilst doing it haha 

Offline ips

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 06:08:13 PM »
Um, strange concept. Not knocking it you understand and if it works for folk then off you go 👍

Did you watch the video bizzylizzy posted? Very interesting in how it negates the opposition reflex.
Yes I watched it, its a new one on me 👍

I was wondering if I muttered "Ommmmmm" while I was stroking the lead, if it would calm me aswell!
 :005:

Let me know how you get on. I have just got back from dogging in and moving trespassers and bollicking a walker with a show cocker off a lead 😞  I need to equalize my kama 👍
Stroke
Ommmmmm
Stroke
Ommmmmm
Stroke
Etc etc etc
😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 06:34:21 PM »
 :005: there's going to be a lot of eye rolling and raised eyebrows among our cockers over the next few days...  :huh:

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 07:53:43 PM »
Haha if I get chance, next time we are somewhere new I will YouTube a video of how he responds to the stroking. Nowadays he truly looks at me with a 'mum you're so annoying' face

Offline PopPops

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2017, 08:50:39 PM »

'Mum you're so annoying'..... LOL

Can't wait to try some lead stroking :)

I got the mekuti harness out. It never worked at all on Pops, she still pulled like a train, but with Tolls IF we walk in the middle of the road where there's no grass or anything green anywhere to sniff at, in two days I got about 40% of today's walk with him not leaning on the lead at all, walking on his own feet and intentionally keeping pace with me - and looking up at me occasionally! It has made me realise how convinced he is that walking on the lead involves leaning on it and me and the lead counterbalancing. If he has to bear his own weight he seems to get the idea more.

However, anyone walking anywhere in sight, and ANYTHING green, and we do yanking and kangarooing in desperation to sniff it and spray it. If next door's cat is laying in state on the front lawn we get yapping and yammering as well. We went for a walk with family today which was over fields and my back is sore from him hauling and hanging off me.

If he can do it in the middle of a tarmacked road we can proof this to handle people and anything green. Somehow. I have to believe we can.
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2017, 09:29:44 PM »
Haha good luck poppops. Its worth a try! Needs patience but truly works for us. An example of the lead stroking is tonight, Leo freezes every time he sees something of interest at the minute, I think its a freeze stage he's going through but anyway there was a particularly brave crow close by, Leo froze and sat, I was being lazy and just tried calling him away a few times, didn't work, gave a little tug of the lead and it didn't work so began the stroking and called him once and he walked away happily.

I believe the issue with a lot of pulling is a lack of consistency... Anywhere new where we can't provide regular walks, Leo is a nightmare.
Similarly , on the odd occasion there are 2 of us walking him whilst on the lead instead of one of us, we also have an issue. But every time the stroking seems to bring him back to what we want.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2017, 11:49:43 AM »
I love the way they use an older steady dog for these type of videos, now lets see her do it with a hyped up worker who can smell game in the air lol
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2017, 02:00:02 PM »
JeffD I know what you mean haha. The dog in the video has probably never pulled in his life haha, Leo LOVES to investigate swans at the minute, I'll send a video of the hilarious attempt at lead stroking when he's next on his hind feet in this situation... Much more realistic for our Cocker's but it still works for me haha

Offline ips

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 02:40:51 PM »
I love the way they use an older steady dog for these type of videos, now lets see her do it with a hyped up worker who can smell game in the air lol

Exactly my thoughts.
As an aside can you imagine the looks other beaters would give you if you started stroking the lead in the middle of a drive 😁

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 09:08:32 PM »

Exactly my thoughts.
As an aside can you imagine the looks other beaters would give you if you started stroking the lead in the middle of a drive 😁

Yes I can imagine but will not post here, far to many nice ladies on this forum for stroking conversations  :D
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline PopPops

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2017, 06:38:29 PM »

We just managed a whole 20 minute walk with a loose leash!!!!! With him showing a very clear difference to the instruction 'walk', with his head up, looking at me often, loose leash, actually pacing himself to my pace!!! - and 'go sniff' where he dashes off and sprays everywhere. So proud of him!

He may never do it again, I get that, but by George I think he's got it!

Bless the Mekuti harness, it made a huge difference from the first time I put it on him. I think he was so in the habit of hanging on the lead he had no idea how to just walk by himself. What's really helped too for him has been leaving the treats and clicker at home and just middle of the road bashing up and down the close several times a day, nowhere near grass or anything to sniff. When he could loose lead walk there, I started taking him nearer verges and alternating 'go sniff' as the reward with 'walk', and we've built up to today to walking down a pavement in the park still able to alternate go sniff with nice walking! With hindsight, that was what I should have done with him right from the beginning and established 'walk' before ever taking him near high distraction grass and trees and smells. Oh well. I shall know for my next dog. (Who obviously will need to learn in a completely different way, spaniels are like that....) 

Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline ips

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2017, 09:06:49 PM »
Well done you. 20 minutes loose lead with a cocker is some going 👍