Author Topic: Puppy lead training  (Read 851 times)

Offline Natalielouise56

Puppy lead training
« on: September 15, 2017, 06:08:23 PM »
Hi all- some questions about lead training now!
We have been putting a puppy collar on Joey every day now to get him used to it and he is certainly scratching at it less than he did at first (we take it off him when he's in his crate). We have also started to put his puppy lead on him in the house for short periods to try and get him used to that too- generally he just bites it but does walk very short distances if bribed with a treat- I'm talking about two metres! Is this the right thing to do as an intro to lead training? What would be the next steps? We have also bought a 10M lead to begin recall training at some point- also unsure when to start this?!
Any help, tips or advice is, as always, greatly appreciated!

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
Re: Puppy lead training
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 07:10:44 PM »
My last cocker had two spinal surgeries and it was from that experience that I learnt how damaging a collar can be - since then I have only ever used a harness which is much kinder to the dog.

The added bonus with a harness is that my Grace didn't once try to fight it, she just walked with it from day one without any fuss - she is a puller though, so I now use the walk your dog with love harness - I just would never use a collar ever again.

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 08:09:56 PM »
You sound like you are doing well so a little bit further every day, into the garden or down the drive
 (if you have these ;))  Go at his pace and treat when he walks nicely next to you. I would start recall in the house now so you don't have to use the long line for a while. Just do a set of three and really, really praise when he comes to you - play with a toy or give a treat. It's fun isn't it? ;)
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Natalielouise56

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 08:01:21 AM »
Thanks for the good advice as usual! Yes we are going to get a harness instead of a lead I think as they seem better for their delicate necks. It is fun- he's already sitting, lying, staying and mostly toiletting outside  :lol2:Off to puppy class this morning but really enjoying our little man- apart from when he chews my hands  >:(

Offline Barry H

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 09:36:54 AM »
 We have also bought a 10M lead to begin recall training at some point- also unsure when to start this?!
Any help, tips or advice is, as always, greatly appreciated!
Never too young to start, and don't want to quash your enthusiasm, but be prepared for the long haul (pun intended).  Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you need to relearn the meaning of patience.  Jack is almost 3 and not particularly food orientated.  Despite countless hours of diligent training, complete with roast chicken etc., his recall, while much improved, is still rubbish  :lol:

If you haven't read it, check out the excellent info on recall from Top Barks here: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=69512.0

Also, Total Recall by Pippa Mattinson is worth its weight in gold: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-Recall-Perfect-Response-Training/dp/1846891493/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1505551194&sr=1-1&keywords=Total+Recall