Author Topic: Puppy pooping (and eating) in crate  (Read 958 times)

Offline ossian72

Puppy pooping (and eating) in crate
« on: September 17, 2017, 08:21:17 AM »
I have only had my 8-week old puppy for two days but want to help her stop this habit as soon as possible.
She poops in her crate, and seems to be eating it (then regurgitating). I am fairly sure this is happening because she ate her poop after going out in the garden the first time I took her out there. Since then I have been quick to distract her, praise her and pick it up before she has a chance.

I have been giving her a last feed at 5pm, then she has pooped once or twice in the evening before crating her at around 11. I get up at around 3.30am and let her out to pee. All was fine. But when I come down at around 6.45am she has pooped.

Any advice?

Part of me thinks she may be too young to crate, although she seems happy and doesn't whine or cry. Happily goes in there and i leave a radio on all night for her.

Perhaps she has a bit of an upset stomach because of her first jabs. Maybe that is the problem?

All advice welcome. Many thanks

Offline bmthmark

Re: Puppy pooping (and eating) in crate
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 11:56:18 AM »
Sorry to hear the trouble you are having.
She definately is not too young to be crated. I started crating mine as soon as I got him. He is now in a good routine.

With regards to pup eating the poo, do you leave a puppy pad in the crate? if so I would remove that. As the pad is just encouraging them to go inside.
I know its hard work (I have been there) but you may need to take her out during the night to the toilet. When mine was young I was outside with mine several times in the night. It was a right pain, however it gets easier so its only short term pain.
If your pup does go to toilet in the crate you need to clean it with special products, otherwise the smell will always be there. This smell will encourage your pup to go in the same place.
If you see your pup attempting to eat poo, I would make say in a firm voice 'leave it'. If she leaves it make sure you praise her lots (even a treat). If she doesn't leave it I would move her away yourself and repeat the 'leave it'. Then praise her.
At such a young age she probably doesn't know what is right and what is wrong so you just need to guide her.

Sorry finally make sure she has her worming vaccination as she will need this if she is eating poop.

Let us know how she gets on.

She will get there!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 12:42:35 PM »
Just to add, poop eating is very very common.
 Gemma was a b***** for it . she would eat hers and anybody elses . 
i also think for the next few weeks, she needs to be taken out for toilets during the night. She is still very young and probably  doing "scaredey poops"  :003:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 12:47:01 PM »
To teach a good leave google 'It's yer choice' before you use it on the poo.
I have read that if you put pineapple juice in their food then it might discourage poo eating. But I think she's too youngbto try that yet. Better to get into a routine first.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble