Author Topic: When should I stop waking up when the pup whines during the night?  (Read 2547 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: When should I stop waking up when the pup whines during the night?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if there was a guide that told you the exact steps to successfully teach a puppy to sleep through the night. After following the guide you have a puppy that sleeps through the night with no issues.
I think this is wishful thinking as all pups have different ways about them.

Mine was just a pain in the butt  :005: but after lots of sleepless nights and many swear words  >:D - I made it through.

Looking back now, I think my mistake was that when I got my pup the first few nights I should of slept downstairs with him, then gradually moved away. Instead I put him in his crate and left him. I think by leaving him, upset him a lot more - this was my mistake.
Mine was very good at toilet training and he never had any accidents in his crate, but I had more problems with him crying  :'(

But he is now 1 year old (birthday today) and he sleeps fine now.

Happy Birthday from us too!  Yes, you're so right and we're all wiser in retrospect but the dogs, and we, are all different so its not always as simple as following a guide book unfortunately. I have a book called Training a dog in Six Weeks  :lol2:  I followed it step by step, religously, until half way through week four, I realized either I was stupid, my dog was stupid or I'd been conned!!!!  :005: ....

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 03:32:50 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if there was a guide that told you the exact steps to successfully teach a puppy to sleep through the night. After following the guide you have a puppy that sleeps through the night with no issues.
I think this is wishful thinking as all pups have different ways about them.

Mine was just a pain in the butt  :005: but after lots of sleepless nights and many swear words  >:D - I made it through.

Looking back now, I think my mistake was that when I got my pup the first few nights I should of slept downstairs with him, then gradually moved away. Instead I put him in his crate and left him. I think by leaving him, upset him a lot more - this was my mistake.
Mine was very good at toilet training and he never had any accidents in his crate, but I had more problems with him crying  :'(

But he is now 1 year old (birthday today) and he sleeps fine now.

Happy Birthday from us too!  Yes, you're so right and we're all wiser in retrospect but the dogs, and we, are all different so its not always as simple as following a guide book unfortunately. I have a book called Training a dog in Six Weeks  :lol2:  I followed it step by step, religously, until half way through week four, I realized either I was stupid, my dog was stupid or I'd been conned!!!!  :005: ....

Thank you bizzylizzy - that's funny about the 'training a dog in Six Week's book. I don't think I would of made week 1  :lol2:

That's why this forum is so good as most of the time, someone has experienced similar things. Especially with these cheeky little cockers  :005:

Offline Minky

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 11:18:04 PM »
I think our pups were born on the same day - Sunday 30th July?

I too am being woken numerous times during the night. Frustratingly my pup seems okay about peeing/soiling in his crate 🙁🙁.
My problem is that no matter what time of night I take him out, he thinks it's play time when he's come back in, despite the fact that everything is in darkness and I don't talk to him (just say "into bed, night night).

Not that I'm wishing the time away, but this stage is really challenging...

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 08:44:33 AM »

I too am being woken numerous times during the night. Frustratingly my pup seems okay about peeing/soiling in his crate 🙁🙁.
My problem is that no matter what time of night I take him out, he thinks it's play time when he's come back in, despite the fact that everything is in darkness and I don't talk to him (just say "into bed, night night).

It is very challenging, but keep at it and you will see everything will be fine. You are doing the right thing with regards to not talking and playing with him, he is just trying his luck. He will soon realise that you will not be playing in the night time. He will also learn that toilet is outside. The hardest bit for you is to try and predict when he needs the toilet.

Good luck

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »
now she mithers us

A wonderful North Country word! The OED really doesn't have anything that fits the bill quite as well. We have to keep these words alive.

With greetings from the West Riding,

Rodney

Offline Micahs Mum

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »

I too am being woken numerous times during the night. Frustratingly my pup seems okay about peeing/soiling in his crate [emoji853][emoji853].

Toilet training can be challenging and frustrating! Your pup is still very young & whilst we'd all like them to not to soil their create pdq it can take a while! At his age I think it's perfectly normal.
My American Cockers would have accidents in their crate up to 6 months old, they were the slowest to train or of all my puppies, & it drove me mad but our trainer reiterates every week that it can take up to a year.

Micah is 4 months old tomorrow & is now becoming consistent clean in his crate but there is still the odd accident. In the end I did not get up in the night to take him out as I still found he still soiled overnight, only ever pee, so I was having a disturbed night & there wasn't any benefit. I really think not getting up helped speed up his progress.

I'm at the frustrating stage where he can hold it all night in his crate yet sometimes he can't hold it for an 45 mins out of it! We've had a few days with no accidents though so I'm hoping it will continue.
Micah's breeder thinks boys are slower to train, I've only had one girl & the she took  about 6 weeks but with the rest it's varied a great deal.

Try using primula cheese as a reward for toileting outside, squeeze a bit for them to lick off, seeing the tube becomes a visual cue in addition to your verbal one.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Sam, ECS Micah & Golden Retrievers Logan and Alby