Author Topic: Harry did a runner  (Read 2609 times)

Offline RobinRed

Harry did a runner
« on: November 01, 2017, 08:53:38 AM »
Harry at the grand age of 15 weeks and 6 days decided to do a runner this morning and I haven't recovered from it yet! He's now safely tucked up in his crate sleeping as cocker babies do.

We went to the park nice and early when it's quiet as I like to give him the opportunity to run free (up to today next to my ankles) and we had favourite chicken treats at the ready. I didn't even think about it being the day the council collect the bottles - needless to say he heard the commotion and spooked shot off, totally ignoring whistle and chicken! I will never forget the sight of his back legs haring across the park, he stopped once to look at me so I ran the other way but he wasn't having it, he'd picked up his scent and was running home in the middle of the road - thankfully no cars or traffic to be seen. I walked after him (didn't want to run in case it made matter worse) and eventually he ran out of steam (or fear) and came to me as I crouched with my arms wide open and a handful of chicken to give him the biggest hugs.

I could cry at my own stupidity and the awful thought of what could have bee. I really should have seen this coming - I have an old girl too who did a similar thing when she was about 6 months. (She's a show type but Harry's a working type and a more wired personality).

Lesson learnt! I'm now swatting up on Top Barks recall thread and we'll be following religiously. Harry will now be on his long training lead for a long time to come whilst we work on his recall. Wish us luck!! 

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Harry did a runner
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 09:16:19 AM »
Oh dear, poor you!! You kept your cool though and did the right thing, - I learned the hard way with my previous dog and used to go running after him which turned it into a game for him  >:D
They‘re little wotsits that‘s for sure! Glad it all turned out ok and that Harry‘s no worse for his adventure!  ;)

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 11:00:30 AM »
Don't be so hard on yourself, there not robots.
These things happen from time to time with even the best trained dogs. I think you handled the situation correctly. I wouldn't read too much into it or change what you have been doing with him, just be vigilant.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline RobinRed

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 11:05:30 AM »
Thanks both for your support I really want to get this right, I always struggled with recall with my old girl. I think I'll be having flash backs to this morning for a good while.

Meanwhile we've done our first session of Top Barks recall method - cream cheese just for the purpose 😊

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 11:21:13 AM »
Really glad to hear you got him back safely.

I know exactly how you feel as mine did the same at around 6 months old. 3 big dogs ran towards him and he just turned and ran as fast as he could and he just didn't stop!
I found him 5 minutes down the road hiding behind a fence, he was poping his head over the top looking for me.
After the incident I started my recall training again and he seems to be fine now.

Its scary as you have no control and they don't seem to take notice.

Pleased to hear he is back in safe hands now

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »
I don't think that in reality a totally 100% reliable recall is ever possible, depending on the situation and what "drives" the dog. My one did a mini bog off on Monday, we had just beaten through a wood with ridiculously heavy cover of bramble and goodness knows what, at the end as I was climbing over the fence she popped through before me and legged up the fenceline for fifty yards or so ignored stop ignored recall but was back within ten seconds, I have no idea what brought it on as pretty sure there wasn't any game to chase. As I say these things happen, the best thing is to try to read the situation and stop things happening before they do but easier said than done sometimes. 😉

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 11:35:01 AM »
I don't think that in reality a totally 100% reliable recall is ever possible, depending on the situation and what "drives" the dog. My one did a mini bog off on Monday, we had just beaten through a wood with ridiculously heavy cover of bramble and goodness knows what, at the end as I was climbing over the fence she popped through before me and legged up the fenceline for fifty yards or so ignored stop ignored recall but was back within ten seconds, I have no idea what brought it on as pretty sure there wasn't any game to chase. As I say these things happen, the best thing is to try to read the situation and stop things happening before they do but easier said than done sometimes. 😉

I totally agree I don't think any recall is 100% reliable. I know mine will completely ignore me if he see's/smells a squirrel. So if I spot one before him I'm ready.
However I have noticed as he is getting older he is more confident so will be happily run further ahead, he is pretty good as if I think its too far I shout 'wait' and he seems to wait around for me. I'm fairly lucky that the routes I take him have no roads so no issues with cars etc.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 11:36:27 AM »
It,s so frightening when it happens, think we've all been there! Well done for your reaction.

When we moved up to Scotland I took my two year cocker for a walk in the local wood and he saw a deer, first ever. He took off after it and Imheard his barks disappear into the distance. IMwas distraught as I did not know the area, and thought he would be lost. Drove around trying to find him, and he came home on his own about two hours later, his coat absolutely stuffed with burrs. Think he'd had a lovely time  >:( :lol2:

One of my Scotties did the same after a squirrel, and I eventually found her in the car park, sitting next to a smart BMW instead of my old banger  :005:

Dylan did it at six months old, in woods again, whilst on holiday, and nearly got run over. Phew, what they put us through!

Glad your boy is none the worse for his break out  ;)

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ips

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 11:45:45 AM »

I totally agree I don't think any recall is 100% reliable. I know mine will completely ignore me if he see's/smells a squirrel. So if I spot one before him I'm ready.
However I have noticed as he is getting older he is more confident so will be happily run further ahead, he is pretty good as if I think its too far I shout 'wait' and he seems to wait around for me. I'm fairly lucky that the routes I take him have no roads so no issues with cars etc.

Yes same for me, we are rarely near roads. Funnily enough my one never went more than 17yd even in open fields or woods but my one has also recently started pulling that distance out a bit. As you say maybe they get to an age were they are more confident.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 01:11:40 PM »
I am afraid it happens . Gemma went racing after a hare. Far more important to catch it than to listen to recalls. She was airing towards a major road. In fact I stopped running and was waiting for the crash and thinking insurance she was getting that close . Luckily the hare turned and raced away from the road .
 The main thing is these instances do not get forgotten. They stay with you for the good. You become more "wise" and aware

Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 01:40:51 PM »
I think we have all been there and got the T-shirt! The one with a cocker bottom vanishing over the hill and the look when they come back that says 'What ..?'

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 02:47:40 PM »
I think we have all been there and got the T-shirt! The one with a cocker bottom vanishing over the hill and the look when they come back that says 'What ..?'

:lol2: yes the look when you finally get them back. They look at you like you are mad  :lol2:

Offline RobinRed

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 03:35:46 PM »
Thank you so much for telling me your tales - I don't feel so bad. In hindsight I could have read the signs but I just didn't expect it when he was so young - I certainly won't get caught out again. The training lead is going to be on for a long time.....

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 06:07:29 PM »
I think learning to read your dog is so important, in one way the more they do wrong the quicker you learn the signs and then act before it gets scary.

Once on a Cocker Meet I remember talking to JessiePup (Erica) how well Bea was doing with not running off, no quicker had I said that then Bea who was a little way ahead, stopped looked at me and bolted (as in Usain)  >:D

I then had to retrieve her from a soggy stinking mud bath, she did however win the dirtiest ,smelliest Cocker of the day award  :005:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 06:33:08 PM »
Quote from: its.sme link=topic=119279.msg1710927#

she did however win the dirtiest ,smelliest Cocker of the day award  :005:
[/quote

And at the end of play That is all that matters  :011:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----