Author Topic: Boy or girl for Betty?  (Read 1050 times)

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
Boy or girl for Betty?
« on: November 30, 2017, 08:55:01 PM »
We currently have a two year old golden girl - Betty.  She is an amazing girl - very calm, very obedient - an absolute pleasure to live with.  We are considering getting a new puppy as a companion for Betty.  We don't know whether to go for a boy or girl.  Our first blue roan Cocker was a boy.  He was gorgeous too but much more highly strung and demanding than Betty.  Betty was the runt of her litter.  We don't know if this is a boy/girl thing or just personality.  We're swaying towards another girl but websites suggest a boy would be better.  Are there any experienced dog owners/breeders out there who could share their experiences?  Many thanks. 

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Re: Boy or girl for Betty?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:19:56 PM »
I believe the best combination is a dog and a bitch.  I have owned a dog and a bitch together, firstly two puppies from different litters who got on like a house on fire.  Then we sadly lost Harvey to cancer at the age of 7 and after a few months we bought another male cocker and Molly, who was nearly 8 by this time, really showed him the way and he absolutely adored her.  All three were blue roan.

I'm sure others will respond with advice in due course.

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 09:36:48 PM »
Thank for your reply Andy and for sharing your experiences.  Do you find Molly calmer than the boys?

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 09:51:24 PM »
We had two boys together, but there was an age gap of 6 years.
To be honest they clashed sometimes over food and squabbled in general. Having said that Ben the older dog was never really very social with other dogs.

As regards to boys being highly strung i have never had girls to compare, but would describe them as needy and affectionate more than highly strung if that makes sense. Ben in particular just needed to be with you and was quite happy as long  as he could be nearby. Good luck with whatever you decide

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 10:02:57 PM »
Can't speak for Cockers, but I had five Scotties, all bitches, and they all got on brilliantly, ruled by the paw of iron by number one Scottie. I have had two boy dogs on two occasions, one set of them Cockers, and I wouldn't do it again, but one was a rescue, with issues.  But that's just my experience, others will have different ones. I have just the one boy now, and if I was to get another, I would get a bitch.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 10:36:49 PM »
Thanks Ben’s Mum. Yes I think your description of ‘needy’ is far better than highly strung. Our old boy was definitely very needy. 

Thanks Lesley and Dylan - laughing at the paw 🐾 of iron! 

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 11:53:10 PM »
I have two girlies. One highly strung, the other as calm and gentle as can be, she too was the runt of the litter. Both get on well....
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline rosiemags

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 12:29:05 PM »
I have been owned by Cockers for the past forty-three years -  for the last  thirty years owning a pair    - always a gold and a black and always girls.

Now and again they have had minor squabbles about I know not what but are friends again five minutes later.

My present girls Maggie and Rosie aged ten and nine are the best of friends and have all sorts of self made arrangements eg when going out in the garden Maggie must go out first but when coming in she will sit and wait as Mags must lead them in.

I have found them all to be a pleasure and a joy to live with - very faithful and loyal We share our home with three cats and they certainly all see themselves as a family.

Perhaps I have been lucky as one frequently reads negative comments about gold cockers and having two bitches together - I wonder if this could be that since experiencing the results of puppy farming with my first cocker I have always bought from known and reputable breeders.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Offline rosiemags

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 12:33:50 PM »
Sorry my last post should read:

eg when going out in the garden ROSIE must go out first but when coming in she will sit and wait as Mags must lead them in.