Author Topic: Anyone fed Orijen or Aatu please?  (Read 7498 times)

Offline cockersarespecialpeople

• Donator
Re: Anyone fed Orijen or Aatu please?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 02:14:56 PM »
With regard to Branston bolting his food, I expect you've seen those bowls designed to slow their eating habits down?  Brake Fast and Outward Hound are two makes to look at.

Thanks, I have looked at them, but have resisted up till now, but maybe worth a 2nd look

Here is the Pooch & Mutt Website link, so you can read up on it if you wish and also the PAH page: although I notice it has gone up a fair bit since I last bought it from them (must have been on a special offer I guess).

https://www.poochandmutt.store/collections/grain-free-food/products/calm-relaxed-grain-free-complete-natural-dog-food?variant=27781858951

http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/pets/pooch-and-mutt-calm-and-relaxed-complete-dog-food-10kg-%28online-exclusive%29

Thanks again Mudmagnets.  I will check that link out [and probably further confuse myself!  :lol2:

It's great to be able to put a question "out there" and know I will get some very helpful answers from the COL community!
Millie & Raffles running free over the Bridge.  Miss you always our special ones.

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »
Have you thought about Eden or Millies Wolfheart? They both do sample quantities, similar ingredients to the 2 you mentioned and UK companies.
I love the AADF site and it's great to check for ingredients etc but it can make you feel that if you are not feeding a 5 star food you are a bad owner. In truth it can be bias in it's scoring to one belief of dog nutrition (when there are others)  I do feed my boy minimal  carbs and he thrives, but it can be a diet too rich for a lot of dogs.
Best thing is to find ingredients you are happy with but more importantly that your dog likes and thrives on and i agree samples are the best way.  :D

Many thanks for that Theo.  Millies has come up quite a lot so will look at that one too! 
Millie & Raffles running free over the Bridge.  Miss you always our special ones.

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 02:20:18 PM »
Bon loves Millie's (as do the pesky cats who've been know to steal it).  >:D

Thank you BonnieScot.  I will check it out [and make sure our pesky cats are not in the vicinity when feeding  :lol2:!!]  Thanks for the tip 

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »
I fed Dylan on Barking heads as a pup, he did really well on it. When he became adult Imswitched to Evolution, and I add some wet food to it for variety. You can get really,screwed up and confused on the AADF site. A few samples to,see what your dog likes, and if the ingredients of the one you choose to go,with are good, then you,re good to go.

I sometimes think the pet food manufacturers have us stressing about the nutrition of our dogs more than Olympic athletes!  :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan

Hi Lesley and Dylan, yes Freddie has done very well on Barking Heads puppy.  Good bone and muscle and glorious, glossy coat.  Evolution is a new one to me but I will check it out.  How big is the kibble please? 
You're absolutely right about the stressing bit!  >:(
Thank you.

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 02:29:55 PM »
I've recently changed to Forthglade which do sample pots, scores well go AADF site, but it is all about what your dog gets on well with.

https://forthglade.com/product/cold-pressed-dry-dog-food-chicken-starter-pack-300g/

It's a shame not all companies don't do samples, isn't it the best way to promote their product ?

Sharon
Hi Sharon, many thanks for that.  Forthglade is a company I used many years ago and have to admit, I'd forgotten about it!  It's actually made not far away from us too, so I will take another look.
I agree with you too about it being a shame that not all companies will give samples, it would be ideal to be able to check it out before committing to a large bag.  I wouldn't be able to donate an opened bag to our local pet rescue as they don't take them, so it would be wasted  :'(
Thank you.

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 02:36:55 PM »
Rosie has either the Original (Chicken & Turkey) or the Six Fish (all fish) depending on what flavour the Lily's Kitchen wet food is.  I give her the Original with the meaty flavours and the Six Fish with the fishy flavours.  Over the top, I know, but....

There are other flavours of Orijen but I have not tried any of the others.  She is happy with these combinations and her poos are fine.

It might be worth trying a small bag of Orijen and see how you go.  It is expensive but I am more than happy with it.
[/quote]

Thanks again Countrygirl.  Those were the two flavours I was erring towards.  What size is the kibble please?
I've noticed that the foods I'm looking at are mainly grain free and wonder if this may cause problems later on?  Barking Heads puppy was not grain free though.  He's not got a problem with grain as far as I can tell, so do you think it might be better not to avoid grain?  I'm so confused!! :embarassed:

With thanks

Offline Alison D

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 05:14:55 PM »
My two are fed Millies and they wolf it down.  They also send out 200g sample bags for you to try. I have  used Canagan in the past which was equally as popular but when I discovered that Millies (which I had heard was a great food) was made locally to where I work and I could save about £5 on each bag if I collected it, I did my research and switched.  Its quite daunting changing to a new dog food as there is huge selection out there. Good luck.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 07:17:50 PM »
Millies is a good food, just be aware that it can be a bit rich as it's made for working dogs.

Bea enjoyed it but I had to switch to a less rich food as her pancreatitis flared up with it.

When I think of the amount of open bags of food I have had to throw away  >:( , Dogs Trust has benefited with bags of treats or tins of food just to make up for it.

Good luck,

Sharon.

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 10:27:11 PM »
My two are fed Millies and they wolf it down.  They also send out 200g sample bags for you to try. I have  used Canagan in the past which was equally as popular but when I discovered that Millies (which I had heard was a great food) was made locally to where I work and I could save about £5 on each bag if I collected it, I did my research and switched.  Its quite daunting changing to a new dog food as there is huge selection out there. Good luck.
Thanks for that Alison.  I did check Millies out but am put off by the fact it says its for working dogs, which Freddie is not.  Also, Sharon says elsewhere on here that her dog's pancreatitis flared up on it.  This rings alarm bells as we lost one of our previous cockers to pancreatitis so as you can imagine, I wouldn't be keen to feed anything that might increase any likelihood of this happening. 
The investigations continue!  :lol2:

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2017, 10:35:44 PM »
Millies is a good food, just be aware that it can be a bit rich as it's made for working dogs.

Bea enjoyed it but I had to switch to a less rich food as her pancreatitis flared up with it.

When I think of the amount of open bags of food I have had to throw away  >:( , Dogs Trust has benefited with bags of treats or tins of food just to make up for it.

Good luck,

Sharon.

Hi Sharon - thanks for the warning re the pancreatitis flare up - we lost one of our dear cockers last year due to it.  :'(  She'd been plagued with outbreaks and sadly it killed her ultimately so as you can imagine, we don't want to feed anything that would risk that happening again.  I think the best food would be a fairly low fat one, so the search continues [as Lord Sugar says  :lol2:]!!

Many thanks Sharon

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 07:42:03 PM »
I have fed Millies Riverside to my 3 adult cockers 2 show 1 worker for around 8 years great food good value, I now also have a 5 month old working cocker puppy that I put onto Millies at 12weeks old & she is thriving on it i thought the kibble size may have been too big for but she has managed it fine.

All my dogs have good digestion & fantastic coats Millies help line is brilliant as the have a wide range of food types as well as wet food now
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 05:09:23 PM »
Milly's been on Origen for over six years now without the slightest problem.

As an alternative we sometimes feed her Acana (Made by the same people as Origen) which also disappears from her bowl at a rate of knots  :005:

Bob.

Offline Alison D

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 02:30:39 PM »
Hi Sharon, I agree with your advice that Millies can be a bit rich for some dogs.  I think they do a low-fat version but I have no experience of it.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 06:37:45 PM »
Hi Sharon, I agree with your advice that Millies can be a bit rich for some dogs.  I think they do a low-fat version but I have no experience of it.

I had her on both the low fat versions (Highland and another one) but she had a flair up so changed it to Forthglade, AADF has information to help find foods for pancreatitis and it came top.

Bea would also be happily home fed :D but I don't feel qualified enough to make sure she gets everything she needs.