Author Topic: Protein in urine  (Read 860 times)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Protein in urine
« on: February 08, 2024, 11:56:38 AM »
Dylan is 8.5 years now, lively. He had his six monthly health check, and was found to have some protein in the urine. Been tested twice. He's going for a blood test tomorrow (over £200!!!! 😱) to see what the problem is, probably kidneys starting to deteriorate with age. Yikes.
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Protein in urine
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 03:53:14 PM »
 Oh golly, that’s given me a nudge to remind me that Humphrey needs to have another blood test!! , he also had a raised protein level (16) just over a year ago, the vet wasn’t overly concerned but said we should keep an eye on it. 
Fingers and paws crossed that everything’s ok with Dylan  :luv:, do please keep us posted.
 :bigarmhug: from me and ofcourse lots of tail wags for Dylan from Herr Humph!
 :luv:

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 05:43:52 PM »
I sincerely hope all is well. Has he any other symptoms like smelly breath ?   That’s how Bobby  was diagnosed with a blood test before the young vet wanted to do a dental for it!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 07:25:13 PM »
We've had the results now, and it is nothing to worry about (phew!). Two blood tests confirmed the protein, just a sort of early,warning to adjust his diet. He is already on senior wet food, but he has some adult kibble, so we will change that to a senior one too (TBH we get our dog food online and delivered, so had a bag to use up). Also the treats will be changed and I'll hunt out some low protein ones. Tonight he's got raw carrot, which he loves, so just some changes will sort it. The vet isn't worried. I'll take his last bag of adult kibble and the treats to the dog shelter.
He'll be 9 in June, vet says he is in good shape otherwise. 🐾

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 07:26:52 PM »
That’s relief, I suppose we all need to adjust slightly as we get older.  The rescue will appreciate the donation.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 07:27:20 AM »
That’s good news. I‘ve got Humphrey booked in for tomorrow for his yearly check up and bloods, so we‘ll see if there’s been any change.
Can’t believe our boys are nearly „seniors“  ph34r!
Cuddles to Dylan!  :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 10:32:30 AM »
Oh poor Dylan....glad to hear it is ok and send lots of love from me and Harry :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2024, 10:21:10 PM »
Dylan says thank you for all the good,wishes 🙏🐾🐾🐾

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2024, 11:59:17 PM »
Glad to hear results were not too serious and there are ways to help  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 08:46:45 AM »
Hope Herr Humph has come through his check with flying colours. How is his back now?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2024, 04:18:24 PM »
Hope Herr Humph has come through his check with flying colours. How is his back now?

The receptionist had booked us in for the wrong vet yesterday so I‘ve had to make another appointment for Monday. I think she  probably thought I was being a bit fussy but  I had specifically asked to see our own vet and felt a bit cross that she obviously didn’t seem to think it mattered.
His back‘s not too bad now thanks, he still hops on three legs most of the time when he walks and he doesn’t like to stand in one position for long but I don’t think that will ever get any better now as the nerves are permanently damaged but he  still races about, creeps up the stairs to us at night  :lol: and he‘ll walk/hop / skip around 6 -8 km a day, so he‘s still enjoying life to the full. He really is a little trooper but then I think that’s just cocker! No time to feel sorry for themselves, life‘s too exciting and they might miss something!  :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 09:17:25 AM »
Glad he's still enjoying life. All the best for Monday.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 06:59:15 PM »

The receptionist had booked us in for the wrong vet yesterday so I‘ve had to make another appointment for Monday. I think she  probably thought I was being a bit fussy but  I had specifically asked to see our own vet and felt a bit cross that she obviously didn’t seem to think it mattered.
His back‘s not too bad now thanks, he still hops on three legs most of the time when he walks and he doesn’t like to stand in one position for long but I don’t think that will ever get any better now as the nerves are permanently damaged but he  still races about, creeps up the stairs to us at night  :lol: and he‘ll walk/hop / skip around 6 -8 km a day, so he‘s still enjoying life to the full. He really is a little trooper but then I think that’s just cocker! No time to feel sorry for themselves, life‘s too exciting and they might miss something!  :luv:
Humph, you are a little marvel  :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2024, 06:35:41 PM »
Blood results back, kidney levels still very slightly raised but  apparently nothing worry about, so all ok! He stood still  on table wagging his tail while they tooks two tubes of blood and never flinched while the vet scraped a bit of plaque off his teeth with a knife but will he let me dunk his paw in a little bowl of tepid water to clean the mud off his paws?  :argue:
 :lol: :lol:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2024, 07:50:59 PM »
Brave Herr Humph, so glad all is well. What a soldier!
We have sorted out all Dylan's treats, was actually horrified when I looked at the protein content of pigs ears, cows ears and chicken feet. Thought they were healthy and natural, but some are 45% protein 😱. They are all going off to the dog rescue, along with his bag of adult kibble. Good Jon he. Likes raw carrot and sweet potato!
Is Humph an aqua phone, like Dylan? He won't even walk through a puddle   :005: