Author Topic: Booster Vaccinations  (Read 2395 times)

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Booster Vaccinations
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2005, 06:22:45 PM »
Yes thanks for the info Penel I will keep this to hand when I make the visit to the vets ;)
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Penel

Booster Vaccinations
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 07:13:19 PM »
Our lab must be particularly expensive then - it costs nearly double that.

Also, when you consider the booster is £20, owners without a lot of spare cash often go for the booster anyway!
[snapback]154583[/snapback]

Lola's was sent to Glasgow.  Our vet charged a tenner to take the blood and send it - the lab charged £25.

Penel

Booster Vaccinations
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2005, 07:25:05 PM »
Thanks for the excellent info Penel.  I am so confused about what to do with my dog he reacted very very badly with the second injection and was not very well at all - which frightened me.  My fears are made worst by the fact that his aunt had a regular booser injection and it destroyed her immune system and the owner nearly lost her.  Finley is due his booster - already had note from vet - I currently have him on Nosodes from Ainsworths which is hopefully protecting him from hard Pad and Distemper, parvo Virus, leptospirosis, Hepatitis and Kennel Cough. 

Last week at training a couple told me that their baby cocker had also reacted very badly from the second injection she was sick, could not walk and was very unwell.  I was wondering if I should talk to the vet and just have the Lepto vac done or investigate the possibility of having a titres test done.

Wendy
[snapback]154588[/snapback]

Hi Wendy,
as most of you on here know, I lost a dog from a multisystemic auto immune disease SLE, this was triggered by her booster vaccine at 3 yrs old.  Hence my interest in the subject.
Any dog that has reacted to a vaccination - in my opinion - should not be vaccinated again - as the likelihood is that the next time they will react more strongly.
You can't titre for Lepto by the way.
If I was concerned about my dogs protection levels I would titre.
However, you can get a low titre and the dog still be protected - as titre testing only measures circulating antibodies - it cannot measure memory cells - its all very complicated - but if you do titre , and get good results - then you're ok - its just if you titre and you get low results that you have to make a decision to re-vaccinate or not.
My neighbour just had her flatcoat titred - she hasn't been vaccinated for 4 years - the results were all sky high. :)
Unfortunately nosodes are not proven to work although personally I have had extremely good impressive results with the kennel cough nosode in particular.

Sue H

Booster Vaccinations
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 08:21:16 PM »
Hello Tysolio !

We got ours done evey year, since the strength of the vaccine is adjusted to compensate I think ... you also get a health check which is valuable ...

You mentioned having yours done against kennel cough as well - pardon me for being ignorant, but I had no idea that there was a vaccine again that .. in fact I thought that it sort of mutated and was quite diffucult to combat with the best anti-b's when it did surface ....  ???  Am I being totally thick and thinking it's a bit like 'flu - don't know how to treat until it manifests??  We had lots of outbreaks when I worked at the Blue Cross, and if it wasn't a local strain (to which some of the dogs had been exposed) then they would go down like flies ..  I don't think you can immunise against anything except one strain, which, given the way these things can travel now, is fairly a 2% guess I would think ....  

Any other Vets out there who putport to vaccinate against KC ?  Get any complaints?  Wonder why??

Penel

Booster Vaccinations
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 09:56:18 PM »
We got ours done evey year, since the strength of the vaccine is adjusted to compensate I think ... you also get a health check which is valuable ...

The strength of the vaccines is the same - whenever you have them done - whether your dog is a chihauhau or a great dane....

I agree a health check is valuable for one thing in my opinion - the only thing a vet can check for that I can't is a heart murmur / condition - otherwise I regularly check my dogs over for lumps and bumps & eyes, ears teeth etc are easy to examine.