Author Topic: Bunnies & Puppies  (Read 4893 times)

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
Bunnies & Puppies
« on: February 17, 2003, 07:57:12 PM »
Hi,

We have just collected our Cocker Spaniel pup (Scooby) this weekend.  We also have a lthree year old lionhead rabbit (Miffy).  Miffy occasionally comes for a play in the house.  Does anyone have any tips for introducing a puppy to a rabbit?  So far we have kept Scooby in his playpen and let Miffy have the run of the kitchen.

Emma                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Bunnies & Puppies
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 08:19:09 PM »
Sorry, no ideas, just wanted to say what a lovely topic title...stirs up lovely cute images ;D                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Bunnies & Puppies
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 08:24:57 PM »
Is Scooby's playpen in the kitchen whilst the rabbit's out? Thats quite a good way to introduce them as the pup can see whats going on, can see the rabbit but can't get at him(unless he's like dallas and has worked out how to climb over it ::)). Praise and treat him if he behaves well but just ignore any bad behaviour. If all goes well after a few sessions, you can then put Scooby on his lead and have him in the same room as the rabbit and again praise and treat for calm behaviour. After a few sessions, he should hopefully be used to Miffy and will be fine with her whilst she is in the house. I wouldn't leave them alone together though.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
Bunnies & Puppies
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 08:58:21 PM »
Hi Gill

Yes Scooby's playpen is in the kitchen.  Miffy came in the house today and Scooby decided to go straight to sleep!!  Miffy was very inquisitive and neither of them seemed too worried.  Will try it in this manner a few more times before taking Scooby out of his playpen.

Thank you!                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Bunnies & Puppies
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 09:13:21 PM »
When you do introduce them - put SCooby on a long line so that you can control him should he get a but too inquisitive. I have a house bunny and the boys love to play - but they can get a bit much so we tend to keep them apart. Having said that, Jasper walked out of our lounge last night just as Whisper the bunny, hopped in!! Jasper obviously didn't see him and Buddy just kept on dozing!! I scooped Whisper up and put him back in the back room - nice and safe.

The difficulty can come if your Cocker ever gets a liking for chasing wild rabbits as many do - if your rabbit started hopping about they might just get confused. With me having the two - it makes them harder to control. One and a bunny should be fine.

hth ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Christine

• Site Member
Bunnies & Puppies
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2003, 08:01:24 AM »
Hello!

We also have a rabbit called Max, when we introduced them they seemed fine and have been friends ever since, but I would not leave them alone, Jasper does tend to get a bit too excited sometimes and try and play bite, but the rabbit did not seem bothered at all, if anything the rabbit put Jasper in his place, as have all our pets (poor Jasper).

Chasing the rabbit is the only thing you might have a problem with as Jasper tends to want to chase everything and anything.

Patience is the key................. ;D                    
Jaspers mummy :)

Offline queenspangle

• Site Member
    • http://www.webconfetti.co.uk/louandmatt
Bunnies & Puppies
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2003, 10:58:15 AM »
;D

I think I can def help on this one!!

We have two lobely little girls only 18 weeks old now and we also have a bunny called Bob.  I was so paranoid they would hurt him or bite him I didn't want them to see each other.  But H2B thought best and got Bob out (hes a house rabbit)  they had a quick sniff and lick and are fine, now would you belive they all run round and chase each other together.  Bob even sleeps in there bed at night, we have tried putting him in the cage but the girls cry.

So the three of them curl up together, its so cute, I will get a picture for you all!!                    
Love Loopy Lou
x x x x x x x x x

Offline ETavernor

• Site Member
Bunnies & Puppies
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2003, 06:12:17 PM »
Oh yes please do - I would love to see them all snuggled up together!  

Emma                    

Anonymous

Bunnies & Puppies
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2003, 08:05:55 AM »
I wanna see cute pics...I cant wait...gimme gimme gimme..  ;D                    

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Bunnies & Puppies
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2003, 12:14:08 AM »
I have 3 rabbits and a duck running free in the back garden so when I brought my new cocker home I wanted her to know as quickly as possible that they were not for chasing. I had a head start because the rabbits were used to my last dog before she died. I had to spend alot of time with Penny in the garden initially, One to praise her for weeing outside and secondly to stop her from chasing the rabbits and duck. It only took a couple of weeks and she knew not to chase. She is now 8mths old and rarely bats an eyelid at them. I believe in taking the bull by the horns and get them together straight away, separation will only fuel the pups curiosity for the rabbits.                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline terryboots

• Site Member
Bunnies & Puppies
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2003, 03:36:05 AM »
I'd suggest that you put the two together (supervised of course) as soon as possible so they can become friends, rather than objects of curiousity or fear.  Just my opinion.

Terry                    
Dogs are a huge bother.  Can\'t imagine life without them.