Author Topic: Rescue dog - behaviour problems  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Rescue dog - behaviour problems
« on: February 18, 2003, 04:18:23 PM »
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, but everyone seems so knowledgeable that I thought I would ask for some advice. 2 weeks ago we rescued Boysie, a 5 year old male, from the local RSPCA kennels. Apparently his son had been attacking him. Anyway, he is lovely natured, and suffers a little with separation anxiety (which we expected). However, he hates the telephone ringing, and gets very worked up and barks constantly. If you pick it up quickly he stops, but otherwise he gets into a right state. He also attacks our mail and newspapers. We have put up a child gate , but he gets very agitated when the post / newspaper arrives, and tries to get over the gate! I'm afraid he could hurt himself if I weren't able to get to the door quickly.
Do any of you have any suggestions for me please? Do you think traing classes would help?
Thank you
Maria                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 04:39:13 PM »
Hi Maria, welcome to cockersonline  :D

Sometimes when you get a rescue cocker, they have a few quirks to iron out - that's normal, and as you said, you were expecting that. Regarding the phone ringing, I'm not really sure what to say! I dont really have any ideas why he might be distracted by it, but perhaps you could lower the volume of the ringer, or change the ring tone to something softer? If he's made some kind of negative association to the noise of the phone ringing, then you can maybe try to change that by encouraging some positive associations - perhaps give him a treat each time the phone rings, or give him a big fuss - saying that though, be careful you dont actually reward him for his barking/agitiation - it's often a fine line to tread with dogs, isnt it  :D

Re the mail, I have suffered from this problem, and today (spookily) put up a letter cage that catches all the mail and stops dogs from shredding it. Then you can do away with the child gate, and rest assured that he wont be able to do any damage even if he wants to - which no doubt my cocker will be mystified at tomorrow morning when she can't either  ;D If you'd details of where to get one of these guards, let me know and I'll provide the link  ;)                    

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 05:00:40 PM »
Thanks for the prompt reply Mike!
re the telephone - it seems like he is scared of the ringing, and backs away while he barks. He also did it in a pub at the weekend! I'll see if we can change the ring tone......
I would be grateful if you would post the link for the post cages - do you know if they are big enough to take the Sunday papers!

Thanks again

Maria                    

Offline Fran

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2003, 05:17:38 PM »
Hi Maria,

I have brought a letter cage recommended by Mike but unfortunately my other half has been working to hard to put it on the front door yet.... so my letters and newspapers are still getting shredded by my Suzie !  this week.....

One  New cheque book
One  VERY VERY long awaited cheque for ALOT of money for a burglary last year :'( :'(

The other half is looking very ashamed ! SUZIE'S NOT!

Fran.                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2003, 05:24:36 PM »
Here you go Maria - Stuart recently created a new section within the forum which holds links to our affiliated pet shops

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=1324

After you've clicked this link, click the PetPlanet banner, and in the Search field enter 'Shaw's post guard' - currently only £8.65  :)                    

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2003, 06:39:36 PM »
Thanks again. I've found this very helpful! I'll be ordering one of those cages......
Unfortunately changing the telephone tone hasn't worked - he's OK with a new one for a couple of rings, and then goes mad again. In fact he got so agitated he made himself sick earlier. Maybe he was tortured by telephone by a previous owner! Maybe a behavourist would help?                    

Offline Kat

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2003, 09:09:10 PM »
Hi Maria.

I remember seeing Jane Fannel (?) covering this on TV and I'm now racking my brains as to how she cured it.  ???

I think it came down to discs......Our dog trainer used it at our dog classes....when a dog was distracted by something rather than doing what you wanted it to do, the small collection of discs, tied together to make a noise, was thrown to land near the dog, the dog totally unsuspecting as to where they came from.....its a distraction from what the dog was focusing on....it was either the discs used or a water pistol.....I think John Fisher uses the same method too.

We never used it with Bonnie our rescue cos she was the nervous type and it made her worse...so I guess it depends on the dog.

Not much use I guess but I found this too...

" Another method to teach a “quiet” command is to wait until your dog is barking, say to a doorbell and while he is barking place a very tasty food treat by his nose. Most dogs will stop barking to sniff the treat. At the same time you must say the word you will use for quiet, such as ‘silent’, ‘hush’ etc. When the dog is quiet (as they will be because dogs cannot sniff and bark at the same time) you can praise him, say ‘good, quiet’ and give the treat. Again, as with all new tasks, numerous repetitions are necessary for lasting learning.

Alternately, distraction  can be used to disrupt the barking. One of the most effective means of interrupting barking and ensuring quiet is a remote leash and head halter. A pull on the leash disrupts the dog and closes the mouth, which should also coincide with a verbal command such as ‘quiet’ or ‘hush’. Quiet behavior can then be reinforced first by releasing and then giving a reinforcer such as praise or food if the dog remains quiet. Soon the dog should associate the closed mouth and the word prompt with the absence of noise and begin to stop barking when given the verbal prompt alone. "
I guess the second section would be useful for the letters problem as you will know roughly when the post will be arriving.                    

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2003, 07:18:47 AM »
Thanks Kat,
I'll certainly try the distraction methods. I'll let you know how I get on

Thanks again to you all for some sound advice

Maria