Author Topic: Creating DVDs  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Creating DVDs
« on: March 13, 2006, 08:33:56 PM »
Okay, I'm after a bit of help with creating DVDs  :D

I've been downloading torrents (movies) for months now and watching them on the PC but would like to create DVDs so that I can watch them on the TV.  The file extensions are .avi - can I write these directly onto DVDs and play on a DVD player or do I have to convert them to another format?  If the answer is yes, how do I do that?  :huh:

Also, some of the torrents are compressed - .rar - I think.  Every time I watch them I have to use a password.  Is there any way to permenantly 'decompress' (or whatever the dashed technical lingo is!) these files?

I hope this makes sense to someone...

Thanks for any help offered  ;)

Shirley (who doesn't mind watching movies on PC) and Eric (who won't entertain the idea  ::) )
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Re: Creating DVDs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 09:29:11 PM »

It's funny you should mention this Shirley - I've just wasted an entire weekend trying to do the very same.  >:(

Gilly is the expert on this but from what I know - first you need Winavi Video Converter which will convert the files to DVD form. Then you need another programme called Nero which you use to send the files to your DVD writer.

Some torrents are already DVD rips ( particularly ones from Demonoid tracker ) and have an info file that came with the torrent explaining how you rip to DVD. It seems with some of these you don't need to convert from avi but just open them up in Nero with a cue file that came with the torrent.

My problem is I've got an external DVD writer ( I'm using a laptop) which came with it's own unintelligible software and I can't figure out a way to use Nero and this.  I've also got the torrents stored on an external hard drive which complicates matters further - cables running everywhere and me not having a clue what I'm doing. I got so disheartened I uninstalled everything in a fit of pique - the writer is back in it's box until I can summon up the courage to have another go.  :lol:

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 09:49:31 PM »
Now, here I was thinking you'd have an answer for to this one  >:(  GILLLLLYYYY, where are you???

I've got a program which (allegedly) converts avi to dvd - think it's called 'Boilsoft avi converter' - don't know if it's any use but it bl**dy well better work 'cos I went and paid for it (Mug, I know!!  ph34r ).  I only have a CD writer on my desktop but the laptop has a DVD writer.  To complicate things, laptop is playing up - won't install Bittorrent Client so have to download torrents to desktop, save on CD (those that fit  ::) ), transfer to laptop and am now stuck at the next hurdle.  I thought this would be straight forward.....now thinking it's more hassle than it's worth.......been trying to figure it out for hours now!!  >:(

Let me know if you get anywhere...  ;)  Off now to find this Nero thingy, may get me one step closer, thanks!!!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 10:43:00 PM »
This is Steve (Annette's OH) aka ReadingSteve

I frequently download AVI files as we're following the 2nd Series of Lost.  I use a component of Nero, called Nerovision Express to convert these files into DVD.  That's all you need - just Nerovision Express. This does all the work of converting the video file into a usable format, and then creating a DVD menu and burning to disk.  You can even use this program to stitch many avi files into one long program, or edit out sections of an AVI file and create snazzy fades and other effects on the finished product.

Nero Vision Express (NVE) is pretty much intuitive to use, although it might take a while to suss it out, if you're not familiar with such programs.  Essentially the steps are to create a new DVD project, add video files, edit/join files, decide on a menu backgound, text, layout etc. and then test the format using a dummy DVD remote control, so you can see how things will appear once it's burned.  When you're happy, go BURN your creation.  It typically takes 2½ hours or so to burn a single 45 minute episode of LOST onto DVD, so I often leave this running overnight. The exact time will depend on the resolution and format of your video files. There's a nice feature where you can ask NVE to shut down the PC when it's finished!

Finally worth a mention - nearly every episode of LOST we have watched in this way has a slight timing error where the sound lags a second or two behind the picture. At first this is pretty annoying, but if you're really keen to watch the episodes 12 months ahead of UK airing, you learn to live with it!  I've not got to the bottom of why this happens, but one of my theories is that it is a by-product of converting NTSC (American format) AVI files into PAL(UK format) ones.  At 2½ hours a pop, I don't feel too motivated to investigate this using different settings in the software, but someone may have more info on this!

Hope that helps.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 12:29:17 AM »
I've got a guide I can send you to burn your AVi's to DVD's if thats any help?? I use Nero too but I'm having terrible trouble with Nero Vision Express at the moment, it hasn't worked for ages  >:D still can't fathom out why!
Anyhow, it's pretty straight forward once you've done it a couple of times but you will need an AVI to DVD converter like Winavi which  in my opinion (and I've tried loads) is the best and quickest., you can also convert AVI to VCD if you haven't got any blank DVD's.
PM me your email address and I'll send the guide to you  ;)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 09:29:18 AM »
I use Nero too but I'm having terrible trouble with Nero Vision Express at the moment, it hasn't worked for ages  >:D still can't fathom out why!
Me too - it's driving me mad >:D I've spent hours uninstalling & reinstalling stuff, updating every driver imaginable and still the darn thing won't work & crashes after about 6 mins. I've learned more about debug reports and minidump files than I ever wanted to know but am still nowhere near finding out why I can't get Nero Vision Express to work except there must be something on my PC which is incompatible with it .....grrrrr!

Jane
Jane

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 12:49:12 PM »

Hmm, seems even you proper techies are having a few problems.  :lol: I'll give Nero Vision Express a try at the weekend, see if I have any joy.

Steve - does the sound sync only go out of kilter after the DVD transfer ? I've only had really bad problems with one Lost episode, although the last ep went very slightly out towards the end - I've just been watching them with VLC on my laptop though. I don't want to go to all the trouble of trying to figure out how to burn to DVD only to find everything is out of synch as a result.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 01:04:59 PM »
If the sound is out of Sync when you download it then it will be out of sync when you burn it, unless you are real techie and can tweak it with Virtual Dub. Burning it won't send it out of sync if the download is normal  ;)

Jane, I have tried everything too and from what i've found out by doing Google searches and reading other forums it's a very common problem  >:( when you find the answer let me know  :shades:

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 11:21:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies Steve, Gilly and Jane  :blink:  Have given some of the suggestions a go tonight but still no joy.  Managed to download NVE, spent ages creating a movie project and then exported in DVD format (file size approx 3.4GB) but now can't get it to save onto disc - showing up as 7GB so not enough space - arrrggggghhhh!  I think it's time to admit defeat!  >:( :lol:

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 12:17:06 AM »
It will take up loads of disc space the way your doing it...you need Winavi to convert the AVI to DVD format first  ;) Also I'm using Nero Ultra Edition which comes with a load of other bits and bobs you can use to burn DVD's, music, Video CD's etc, you don't have to create a DVD, unless of course it needs a menu but even at that I burn 4 episodes to one disc and just fast forward as NVE is being a pain in the rear  >:(

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 07:47:49 PM »
Thanks Gilly

Okay, here we go again - another day, another few hours stressed on this machine.  I know I said I was giving up, but that's just not me  ::)

I've finlly got Winavi  ;)  I've asked it to convert the avi to dvd and it's saved it into a folder dvd_0, then there's a file called Audio_TS and Video_TS.  The audio one is empty - this is probably a stupid question but does this mean the movie won't have sound???  :005:

The Video_TS folder has seven files - two saying 'backup file of IFO, two saying DVD movie info and three which say DVD movie.  I've only got NVE at the moment so will try with that first, but do I need to use all these file or do I just need the 3 DVD Movie ones???

I know this really is step-by-tiny-little-step instructions I'm after, but my brain seems to have ceased to function at the moment, you know why  ::) ;)

Thanks, again  :blink:

Hold on - just realised I have Nero Ultra Edition 6 (is this the lastest one?) must have got it tagged on with vision express  ::) :blink:

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 09:16:01 PM »
Ok, your heading in the right direction  ;) what you have so far with the dvd_0 and the Audio_TS and Video_TS files is all correct. Now, firstly do you need to make a DVD with a menu?? or just a bog standard DVD? if it's a bog standard DVD (like a movie) you need Nero Express (not VISION Express).
Taking that you have that open up the program, make sure the drop down box at the top is set to burn to the correct Drive, whatever the number maybe D:, F: etc), It won't give you the correct burning options if the drive isn't set correctly. Once you have chosen the correct drive it will give you burning options....you need to chose "DVD Video Files".
Next Screen it ask you to ADD your files. Go to the dvd_0 file, then locate the Video_ts file (ignore the audio file  ;)) you will now see all the files WinAvi has converted for you, add them ALL - (very important).
It will then add your files ready to burn. Near the bottom of the same screen make sure the drop down box is DVD5 which is a standard DVD. Click Next.
On the next screen are your burning speeds etc, I tend to burn at 4x (much better result than 8x), so make sure the write speed is set to 4x. Along the bottom of this screen there is a tab called "More" click this and you will see a tick box called "simulation", good idea to do this first as it tests everything before you actually burn it and saves many wasted discs.
Once it has simulated OK, you can chose to Burn the same project again, but this time make sure you click the "More" Button and then untick the "simulation" box, re-set your burn speed to 4x and then click BURN!!!

Not sure if this sounds gobbledegook...probably  :lol:

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 09:58:19 PM »
HAHA!   I'VE DONE IT!!!!!!   :D  :shades:  Thanks Gilly!!!!  ;)

Now there are just a few technical details I need to iron out  :lol:  I had a actually started the process (using Vision Express) before I read your message, Gilly - but still only went for bog standard (think that's enough for just now  ::) ).  In playback, though, there are regular and obvious dropped frames which is quite distracting.  Now, I know I'm not going to get perfection, but is there anything that can be done to avoid this??  Also, as the movie goes on the actors' lips are out of sync with the sound (don't know tech name for this problem  :005: )  Vision express didn't give the option of write speeds (well, not that I noticed) - would changing this improve these problems??

I think when I do the next one I'll follow the instructions you gave for Nero Express - see if it makes a difference.

BUT, for just now, I'm just delighted that I know how to burn my movies to DVD - thank you, thank you!!!!!  I'll sleep better tonight - after banging my head against a brick wall trying to figure all this out last night I even dreamt about computers  ph34r Sad, I know!!!!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 10:16:01 PM »
Mmmm there shouldn't be dropped frames and it shouldn't be out of sync unless of course the download was like that in the first place  :-\ Always make sure you download a sample (if available) that way you can see what the quality is like first. Sometimes if you burn at a higher speed (8x) you can tend to get some jerkiness so I stick with 4x.
I would only ever use NVE if I was burning various episodes to one disc and needed to create menu's otherwise I use NE. As I said earlier I've had real problems with NVE and usually burn 4+ episodes to one disc by going into Nero StartSmart and then choosing the option under "copy & Backup" "Copy Mulitple DVD's to one Disc", this way I can still burn them to one disc (once converted with WinAvi). it just means there is no menu and you have to Fast Forward to get to the next episode, not ideal but it works.