Author Topic: How do I introduce my puppy to my cats?  (Read 712 times)

Offline Waggy One

• Site Member
  • Beau
How do I introduce my puppy to my cats?
« on: April 21, 2006, 09:55:50 PM »
Hi there,

I'm new here and in just under seven weeks time we are going to have our very first cocker spaniel puppy.  We're so busy thinking about crates and vetbeds and bowls and leads and countless other things but what about my cats?

They're very friendly and aren't freaked out when my friend's large dog visits, they came from homes with dogs but will it be different when the puppy/dog is there all the time?

I'd be grateful for any advice - also has anyone got any suggestions for a boy's name, we could name a girl a million times over but seem to have a block on a boy's name!

Thanks

Becs', Beau & Cookie xxx

Offline sams mum

• Site Member
  • smiley sam!
Re: How do I introduce my puppy to my cats?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 10:58:33 PM »
Hi, we were in the same situation 2 years ago with Sam our cocker puppy. Our two cats are fairly nervous and I was soo anxious about how they would react to a puppy.
We kept Sam in the lounge for the first few weeks, for his safety and for the cats peace of mind!
We introduced them to Sam gradually and let them make the first move. As your cats are already familiar with dogs you have a great headstart as mine had never come into contact with a dog before.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, after the first couple of months the novelty of the dog wore off for my cats and they became much more confident with Sam.
My two cats now treat Sam with the same attitude as they do to me and OH.. i.e they rule the roost and everyone (canines included!) come way down the pecking order. ;)
As for names, I know what you mean..we had loads of girls names but really struggled with boys..sorry!
Jayne & Sam

Offline The Moog

• Site Member
  • Mwaaah!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 11:08:01 PM »
When an 8 wk old Moog arrived home for the first time, Hugo (our 5 ish yr old ginger tom) was out....when he strolled in he was unsure of her - she just wanted a sniff then to play!  :luv:  We didnt allow them alone unsupervised to start with - Hugo gave her a wide bearth for a while...but not for long....Moog still chases and nudges him, trying to get him to join in her games - a little less since Merv arrived!  Hugo is so laid back anyway, we didnt think he'd be a problem and it sounds like your situation is the same.....here is a piccie of that first enocounter......sorry about the quality - its scanned from a hard copy that has been on my fridge for nearly a year  ;)

Love,
Lisa, Moog & Mervyn x x x x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 08:32:43 AM »
I made sure my cats had plenty of places to go and be by themselves in the house---so all dogs are banned from upstairs so the cats have that as their haven (especially food as my cats prefer to eat as and when and cockers would eat the lot in one go). Its worked really well and the cats are really happy even when Wilf decides he wants to play a game of chase with them
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 08:58:21 AM »
Hi there
We have 3 cats.  They had all been brought up with our Westie and Yorkie, but when we came home with a 10 week old rescue lurcher pup last year, the cats decided enough was enough, and left home for 2 days!
They would glare at us from the fences and sheds when we were in the garden, and we still saw them regularly, but they would not set foot inside the house.  Then they suddenly realised that the new pup was actually living here and not just a visitor, and they crept back inside!  It is now really funny - they soon learned that Suki (the pup) was VERY fast.  So if they want to escape her (not that she hurts them, just tries to pick them up!) they race through the house with her hard on their tails, out of the back door and straight on top of the guinea pig hutch - where she can't reach them. 
The oldest cat will not put up with anything from Suki (who has a scratched nose to prove it) and Suki quickly learned to leave her alone. The next oldest is not too bothered either way, but is very laid back anyway.
The youngest one delights in antagonising Suki.  He seems to know when she is fast asleep and he will come and jump on her, then gallop away "laughing" with Suki hot on his heels.  He knows every place in the house that Suki cannot or will not go and he just runs to them (usually up the stairs or if cornered, the top of the fridge freezer!)
I am sure you will find that in time, they will all be great friends.  Good luck.
Am really jealous you are getting your cocker soon - we are on a waiting list for next year!
xx
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Waggy One

• Site Member
  • Beau
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 09:39:48 AM »

Thank you so much for all your great advice!

I had wondered about not letting our new boy go upstairs and that pretty much decides it!  When I come home the cats are always upstairs lounging on someones bed anyway - usually my youngest son's because it's the sunniest room and they are far from daft!

Thank you Jayne for the pic - I shall have to remember to keep the camera handy for first encounters as well as cute puppy pics.

Waggy

(and the gang too!)
Becs', Beau & Cookie xxx

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 10:25:05 AM »
We've had some 'cat/dog' issues in this house in the past  :o :o :o

We have two rescue cats and when Daisy came home as a 6 month old rescue it all went VERY wrong.  To cut a very long story short one cat lived in our bedroom for about 6 months and the other became known as 'the roof cat' as she went in the garage roof and refused to come down except at 2am when she knew Daisy was locked in the lounge, even then she would go again by 5 am!!

She did that for a year and then suddenly one day walked into the house at 6pm stood in front of daisy and 'shouted at her, lay down infront of Daisy as if daring her to do anything.  Daisy stood like a statue until the cat moved  :005: :005:

We have not looked back since and the roof cat now slinkies round Daisy and is her best mate  ;)

Then 4 weeks ago we introduced Dill another 6 month old rescue - people who knew the cat saga thought I was MENTAL to risk it again!!

It took less than a week for the cats to be ok.  I did panic at first because both cats took up their usual positions of under the bed and in the garage roof but as I say within a week they were back.  They are still not as relaxed with Dill as they are with Daisy but they dont know him yet  ;)

I truly believe that the second time around was easier as the cats were used to Daisy.  I dont think you have anything to worry about as your cats are ok with visiting dogs and if you make sure the cats have 'sanctuary' places that the dog cant get to you should be fine.  I still have cat beds on the top of the kitchen cupboards, we still have a high table in our bedroom (very attractive - NOT) and I cant praise the use of baby gates enough.

They allow the cat to move freely about the house whilst stopping the dog in its tracks, that way even if a chase does start the gate stops it.  The cats soon realise that the dog cant get under (as long as you mke the gap the right size ;))  We have two gates one between the kitchen and the utility where the cat food and litter tray are, and another between the kitchen and the hall so the cats can get upstairs without being followed.

HTH
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me