Author Topic: Escaping  (Read 2881 times)

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
Escaping
« on: June 16, 2006, 04:38:15 PM »
We have been taking Blue for walks off his lead & generally he keeps quite close to us.  If he runs ahead he always stops and looks back for us  :luv:  never goes too far.  His recall is reasonable ! ;)
However, given the escaping situation from home and he really goes for it  >:D  Not stopping he just legs it  >:D
Today I brought him round to my mum & dads house.  He rarely goes because they have a very old dog & Blue is just too bouncy for her  :005:  Yet today my mums dog wasnt in so it was safe.
Anyway whilst in the front garden my dad opened the gate, Blue was off like a shot  >:(  with me close behind,  I had cheese in my pocket and was bellowing down the road after him.   >:( >:(  but he just wasnt interested.  What was concerning is it is a much busier road at my parents & he could quite easily have been knocked over.

Any ideas how I can sort this ??  At home it is like fort knox so he cant get out but it just on these really rare occasions.

Any help and advice would be appreciated. 

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Escaping
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 05:23:46 PM »
I think this is a really common thing... Alfie is the same, on walks he's a wee  :angel: and never goes too far, always stops and waits for me etc. but as soon as the front door is opened he's like greased lightning... apparently our neighbours' gardens are sooooo much more interesting than ours, particularly the ones right at the bottom of the street  >:(  and he also conveniently goes deaf during these little escapades too  ::)

I'm really worried about him running out onto the street and causing an accident by doing this so I've basically decided to try to demystify "the world outside the front door" for him and work on his recall at the same time by attaching a house line to his collar and practising opening the door a lot and as soon as he tries to leg it I grab the line so he can't get away and call him back to me, praise and treat him like billyo and then let him have a sniff around our garden on the line but making sure he also pays attention to me. We've only been doing it for a week or so but slow progress is being made.. last night he started his usual charge of the light brigade but stopped of his own accord before he got to the end of the house line and looked back at me, I think the cheeky wee  >:D was waiting for the cheese to appear but it's better than him running onto the road!

Others may have better suggestions than this so I will be reading other responses with interest  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 10:50:27 PM »
This happened with Max, my golden retriever. It was terrifying.  ::) His recall has always been pretty rubbish. Someone hadn't shut the gate properly although from a distance I couldn't tell. I couldn't go after him as I wasn't in my wheelchair, I was on my crutches. I was yelling "Max Come" at the top of my voice.  He ran round to the corner out of sight, then he turned came back but went past my house, fortunately just a short distance before turning again and running back in the drive. My heart was in my mouth.  ph34r

Shortly after this someone told me this method, using a dog whistle.

Day 1 to 5 - with the dog next to you blow the whistle and reward the dog. Use a really high value treat that you will only use as a reward to responding to the whistle. Do this four or five times at a time. Repeat 3 times a day.
Day 6 - Blow the whistle while the dog is in the same room as you but not next to you. When he comes reward with the high value treat. Do this 3 or 4 times that day.
Day 7 - When the dog is in a different room blow the whistle and reward when he comes. Repeat 3 or 4 times that day.
Day 8 - Out in the garden. When the dogs focus is not on you, blow the whistle when he comes reward. Repeat 3 or 4 times.

Then use it out and about. If the dog ever fails to respond to the whistle go back to day 1.

I did this with Max and it has never failed. Even when he's playing with he pals at Junior Club, where my voice command would fail the whistle doesn't. It seems to be able to break into his concentration. 

I passed this method on to someone else who's Ridgeback's recall was as bad as Max's.  She too has had success and her dog has never failed to return.  For the couple of quid a whistle costs its certainly worth a try!  Good luck.  Let me know if it does the trick!  ;)
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 09:56:15 AM »
Cheers for the whistle info, a friend gave me her whistle and I haven't tried it yet, but definately need something for her recall
edited to add - not friends recall 
I will definately be trying out your instructions.

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 05:30:43 PM »
I read about this method last week and promptly bought a whistle - amazing, it gets Lucy's attention like nothing else! I havent let her off the lead yet as i think it is still too early but the results in the house and garden are truely amazing.

I bought some Natures Best treats and these are only given with the whistle so she learns the value of the treat.

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 06:30:09 PM »
I was given a whistle to use with the Guide Dogs I board and Tilly has quickly learned to respond to it too (she wouldn't want to miss out on any potential treat situations  :005:)  I now use it with her whether or not we have a GD in tow.  I think whistles are brilliant.

Thanks for the advice on recall training Craftysam.  The GD I am currently boarding is not too great at recall.  He never had many off-lead walks.  I will try this with him.  Thanks.

Sue and TIlly

Offline Neville

• Site Member
  • Me 13 weeks old
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 10:29:47 PM »
One piece of advice i was given with my previous dog, a Welsh Springer Spaniel, was never to run after the dog, but always to run in the opposite direction.  This takes some nerve, but can be practiced in the garden by walking in the house whilst the dog is playing and rewarding them when they come. 

I do like the whistle idea, i might give that a go in a few weeks time.
Look forward to hearing from you!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 10:06:21 PM »
Whistle has been tried and tested all I can say is..............FANTASTIC
Took her out for walk and had clicker, treats and whistle and different treats
What a  :angel: responded to the whistle everytime

Thanks

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 01:24:51 AM »
Whistle has been tried and tested all I can say is..............FANTASTIC
Took her out for walk and had clicker, treats and whistle and different treats
What a  :angel: responded to the whistle everytime

Thanks

I'm really pleased it worked for you too.  :D
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 07:36:36 AM »
I'm off to buy a whistle this morning after reading this thread as Jaspers recall is pants well actually non existen. OH is such a worrywart he wont let them off lead and on the rare occasion i manage to persuade him to give it a go Jasper just bogs off well he would wouldn't he which just convinces OH even more he shouldn't be off lead. George will come back but under his terms, however if with my brothers lab megan (her recall fab) he comes back every time. Show off.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 04:32:29 PM »
CraftySam - I can't thank you enough  ;) I even got a recall by using the whistle when she saw pheasent  I'm be a better bet on the treat front at the mo than a pheasent. PLEASE tell me this WILL last and wasn't a fluke :huh:
Personally I think it was a fluke :005:  I think I saw the pheasent first and she saw it same time as I blew the whistle ;)

Would definately recommend a whistle to anyone

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 05:15:46 PM »
PLEASE tell me this WILL last and wasn't a fluke :huh:

It hasn't failed yet with Max.  He loves nothing more than cuddles and will do anything for one.  During training the other week, they were having a 5 minute play break, the next time I look I catch him just jumping on one of the dog owners  >:( for a "proper" cuddle.  They didn't mind but I did, so I blew the whistle, immediately he got down, turned and ran to me. I was amazed!  :D

Lets hope the little darlings keep it up!  :luv:

Offline Neville

• Site Member
  • Me 13 weeks old
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 05:28:48 PM »
Couple of questions for Crafty Sam - how old is Max, is there a point at which they listen to the whistle? and do you use a normal whistle or a dog high pitch whistle?

Love Neville's mum :luv:
Look forward to hearing from you!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 07:37:19 PM »
Couple of questions for Crafty Sam - how old is Max, is there a point at which they listen to the whistle? and do you use a normal whistle or a dog high pitch whistle?

Love Neville's mum :luv:

Max is my golden retriever who is just 1.  I've been using the whistle with him for about 3 months.

At the moment Barney, my 13 week old cocker, is very good at recall. Which I suppose might not last!

I have used the whistle while Barney has been around and he came running too! Even though I've not trained him to respond to it yet. I'm not sure if there's an age that dogs will begin to hear a whistle, as they hear other things from being very young I assume that goes for the whistle. Certainly at 10 weeks Barney heard it. 

I use a dog whistle.  It has an adjustable pitch.  It's not a silent dog whistle.

I am going to train Barney to respond to a whistle so that in the park all three will come to the whistle and I don't have to be shouting "Come" too.  ;) At the moment I want to make the most of his good recall to voice command.  I will introduce the whistle over the next month but carry on with the voice command too. Hth.

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 09:42:48 PM »
OK I am completely convinced about a whistle & am going to get one off ebay.  Which one is best - a silent one or an audible one ?????