Author Topic: A BARF Diary.  (Read 54174 times)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
A BARF Diary.
« on: October 24, 2006, 02:39:06 PM »
I have decided that 7 year old working cocker Fern deserves the best. After reading on COL for several months about those of you who feed BARF, speaking to my vet and reading a few recommended BARF books it now makes perfect sense to me to be feeding it. 

I thought other COLers might find an occasional diary of how we progress  helpful, for those who, like me, agree with the theory but are a little worried about putting it into practice for various reasons.
This is a bit of long intro. Hope you don't all get bored before the end. If no one replies then I can take a hint  and shall post no more ph34r.

Background.
Fern is a perfectly healthy small working cocker, a good weight for her size, perhaps a little on the light side if anything. She is a fit muscly, turbo charged live wire. I want her to stay that way for as many years as possible. She was spayed after her first season. Apart from two trips to the vet to remove grass seeds from her ear canals, she has had no other health problems. She has a little tartar build up at the base of her canines but that is about all. She is my sixth dog and all the others have begun to go gradually downhill from about the age of six or seven. Feeding her BARF from now on is a sort of experiment I suppose, to see if I can prolong her fitness and zest for life.

Previous diet
As an adult she has always been fed once a day in the evening on tinned Pedigree Chum/Winalot/Asda Hero/Butchers -half a small tin a day with a generous handful of mixer. She has always had 3 or 4 Bonios a week, 2 or three low fat milky biscuits a day, a couple of beefhide chewstick (the cheap garishly coloured ones ::) ) a day, with the occasional pigs ear and pumice denta chews(about 1 a week). I tried her on kibble once when I was given a pack, but she really wasn't keen, wet or dry. I felt that it was a most unnatural thing to be feeding a dog myself so wasn't particularly suprised that she gave it the thumbs down. She has always happily polished off melon skins, apple cores and skins, cabbage stalks and the remains of dinners (after we have eaten and left the table).

Small beginnings- raw eggs.
A few months ago she had her first ever raw egg. She carried around in her mouth for ages not knowing what it was for. She then proceeded to bury it in the soft pine needles under a tree in the garden, using her nose to dig out the hole and to cover it up again. It remained intact. As a working cocker I was pleased that she proved how soft mouthed she is. It was quite a shock for me to realise that I had a dog that had no idea what to do with an egg and I felt quite guilty. I dug it up and started her off by cracking it slightly on the patio. After a lot of tentative licking she ate the whole thing and crunched up the shell as dessert.

Getting there. chicken wings
My biggest concern about feeding BARF was that Fern wouldn't crunch the bones properly and get bits stuck in her throat, her intestines, rupture her colon and have to be rushed to the vet in agony. Being a rather imaginative person I had scenarios playing through my head where the vet would be shaking his head saying there was nothing he could do and that I should have had more sense than to feed chicken bones to a dog. I even had similar concerns that eggshell would cause similar problems.
Having at last understood a)that it is cooked bones that splinter, not raw and that one should never ever feed them and b)that raw meaty bones should of a size that are impossible for the dog to swallow without first chewing and crunching I proceeded to offer her a chicken wing. She gingerly took it from me and obediently took it outside as I told her. After about ten minutes of licking and sniffing and puzzled glances in my direction she finally began to nibble small pieces from the wing tip. Then crunch, crunch, more licking of lips and she was away steadily chewing and crunching as though it was the best thing in the world she had ever eaten. It probably took her a full 10 minutes to eat and she was sniffing and licking the patio after it had all gone to make absolutely certain there was none left. She didn't choke, she was not sick and nothing got stuck on the way though. Phew. :005: Two or three raw chicken wings a week as an occasional daytime treat well away from dinner time has been the norm now for the last month or two.

Does anyone wan't to know what happens next?
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Re: A BARF Diary.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 02:44:31 PM »
In a word - YES! :D
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline Holly

• Site Member
  • Beatle and Mouse
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 02:59:27 PM »
Please...I've got as far as trying the raw chicken wings..nearly asked the vet to be on call but thought better of it :005: :005:
My Springer and Beatle loved them, our retriever took them carefully out of his bowl and refused under any circumstances to have anything to do with them!! All our dogs eat chopped up raw vegetables on a regular basis. It's just going the extra mile I haven't got to grips with yet! :-\
Jasmine our springer was spayed recently, age four, and in spite of cutting down her food she is gaining weight and I've got to do something about it. I thought BARF might be the answer.

Offline Claire

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 02:59:52 PM »
Oooh yes please!  Can I guess?  Fern can now eat a chicken wing in under 30 seconds?

I raw feed already, and Ruby's got crunching bones down to a fine art now!

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 03:10:18 PM »
yes please!! my 3 are mainly barf now but its hard to get the variety up here but they love raw chicken bones and all. they get raw venison bones too and Im waiting for some lamb/mutton bones next time one of our sheep get culled. Ive asked the butcher to keep me some too.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 03:49:36 PM »
Yes please.

I'm a few weeks ahead of you and getting more relaxed about it all now. But it would be great to see how you go and exchange more useful tips,

DO be sure to ask Penel and SarahP just how many sardines you should give Fern. They are bound to be most helpful on the subject! :005:

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 05:55:43 PM »
Yes please.  :D

I'm a few days behind you, and am gearing up and menu planning this week ready for the weekend.

It will good to hear what you giving her and how she's doing with it.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 07:29:30 PM »
Yes, please.  I have just bought a load of beef and turkey mince, chicken wings, lambs hearts and oxtail and have been trying Coco on it with the odd Naturediet meal.  She is also having pilchards, sardines and eggs.  So far, she has loved everything and has not yet choked, perforated any of her body parts or had explosive d and v due to salmonella poisoning :shades:  In fact, she has a better diet than me!  :005:  Will be interested to know how you get on  ;)
Julie and Watson

Penel

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 07:40:18 PM »
Come on then where's part two ?!

as for sardines, well, that depends on how big they are ?  I think Annette should be measuring Buddy's - from nose to tail... :005:

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 07:49:24 PM »
Oooh, I am very interested in part two too..

As you probably know, Dill has been on Barf for about 6 months....
He is doing great, bags of energy, shiny eyes, shiney coat,  nice smell.....

Apart from a small hickup with morning vomiting (all sorted for the time being...) I am loving feeding him this way.   It seems so much more natural, so much healthier... :blink:

Hurry up with part two, can't wait to find out how Fern gets on....

Petra

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 10:10:22 PM »
I'll take it that's a 'yes' then  :005: .

In short sections as I get time and so you don't get too bored with my musings and meanderings.

Getting closer- reading matter
I put a post on COL for BARF book recommendations and thanks to AnnieM received two of them via her (thanks AnnieM :blink:). They are Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats by Kymythy Schultze (American  -qualified animal nutritionist and Animal Health Instructor) & Work Wonders- Feed your dog raw meaty bones by Tom Lonsdale (Australian -vet). I thought it would take me a while to get round to reading them as I have a very busy schedule. Neither was I sure that reading just two books on the subject would give me the range of  information I was after. As a biologist I could see the sense in BARF but I was not confident that I could provide a suitably balanced BARF diet. I didn't want to deny Fern adequate nutrition because I hadn't sufficiently researched it. I am aware that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
I was wrong on all counts. Once started I couldn't put the books down and read them both in two days. In spite of their differing styles they were both easy to read and surprisingly informative. For example -I hadn't realised that many of the added vitamins, minerals and other supplements in cooked tinned dog food may not actually be in a form that an animal can use. I didn't realise that feeding raw salmon was not recommended because of the parasite flukes that act as host for rickettsia. They also settled my mind on the question of  exposing my dog to salmonella and other bacteria. The only slightly disconcerting thing was reading about feeding kangaroo tails  :huh: not sure about that here in England  :005:

:huh: How did I get to here?
I ran out of supermarket style mixer on Saturday and as I had been thinking about all the unneccessary colourings, flavourings and additives I had been shoving down Fern's neck, decided to pay a visit to my local tiny independent pet shop to see if I could still buy plain unadulterated baked biscuit mixer. It is under new managment and the lady who runs it is so enthusiatic, says having her own pet shop is something she has always wanted to do. A visit there makes a nice change from the usual bored, 'I'm-too-good-for-this-job' and 'all-customers-are-a-pain' attitude one frequently gets elsewhere. I explained that I was trying to work away from mass produced artificial feed for my dog and thinking about beginning her on BARF eventually. She went to the end of the packed shop, lifted a few dog baskets and blankets from a huge pile in the corner to reveal a chest freezer wherein was revealed a huge stock of 2Kg packs of A.M.P. Prize Choice. Now I'm not entirely sure I know quite how this happened, but I came away from that shop with two very heavy carrier bags and well over £20 poorer. to be honest I don't even remember paying (although I am certain that I did  ;)). When I got home I found I had bought;
2Kg Beef mince
2Kg Chicken Mince
2Kg Lamb Mince
2Kg Heart chunks
2Kg Chicken wings
2Kg Poultry necks
and a block of (green?) minced tripe
I then had to try and fit in all in my small upright freezer  ph34r
She didn't have any plain baked biscuit mixer by the way.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Penel

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 10:53:08 PM »

She didn't have any plain baked biscuit mixer by the way.

that's good, so you weren't tempted by evil cereals  :lol:

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 11:37:55 PM »
Looks like we're starting from the same point!  ;)

I went to PAH and came away with AMP Beef and Tripe Mince and then some blocks of Rabbit, Lamb, Chicken and White Fish. 

I had to go to PAH last weekend as I'd run out of somethings so thought I'd pick up some BARF bits while I was there. Tomorrow my task is to work out how much they all need to eat and a menu so I can buy everything at the weekend.

Does everyone tend to use a local butcher rather than the supermarket for the fresh meat/bones and offal?
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Penel

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 11:39:49 PM »
I use both really.  The butcher gives me a bag or two of chicken carcasses / wings / breast of lamb ribs / various bones for free every week - and if I run out I buy chicken wings from supermarket.  Lola only has pork ribs which I buy from the supermarket.

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 10:32:12 AM »
can I ask a probably silly question.. I got a bag of lamb bones from butcher . the dogs loved them but .there was a small leg bone in there can they have that? peppers a great chewer and grinder so I know she would be able to eat it, would it be dangerous because its a weight bearing bone.. ?