Author Topic: Hiya  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
    • Bryning Border Collies and Working Cockers
Re: Hiya
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 01:22:12 PM »
I have never seen dogs the colour of yours and I am definitely in love! 

Hi Penny :D

Do you mean the cockers or the BC's?  I don't thinlk the tan points are that uncommon, my friend has a lovely black/tan bitch she does flyball with and there's a gorgeous liver/tan dog that competes with one of the Southern flyball teams (Bad Dog Racers) who I am TOTALLY in love with!  I'm a real sucker for 'eyebrows' *lol* in both the cockers and BC's.  I have seen the blue roan and tan in quite a few show bred cockers but Teal is the only working bred one I've ever seen, I fell in love with her the minute I saw her :luv: she's just so striking.  I do find a lot of people ask me what she is though!  She has a full tail which makes it harder I guess, she's a real traditional stocky solid working type, Drake is the 'racier' trialling type really and is a little more highly strung but he is the sweetest little boy.

Most of my BC's are the traditional black/white but I do have quite a few of the more unusual colours to...golden, chocolate, merles etc you know what they say...'variety is the spice of life!' ;)
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x
www.bryningbordercollies.com

"The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2006, 02:49:18 PM »
welcome to col! I have 3 spaniels 2 are working cockers  liath bue girl and rolo her nephew,and ones a sprocker, pepper who is liaths half sister,  also OH has his young red woking border collie gibb, well hes in training as unfortunately our older working collie has passed away so between gibb and the spaniels we are muddling through. my liath is a brill wee sheepdog she just cant cast around them unfortunately but hopefully by next year gibb will have matured enough to take on the work properly.
 I warn you COL is addictive! your dogs are lovely. looking forward to seeing more pics.. also excellent pics did you take them?  if so well done! they are great.

Hi Jean, whereabouts do you live?  Do you have your own sheep? What breeding is your BC? 

Your spaniels look so cute, they look like best friends ;)

I do take my own pics mostly, a few on my site have been taken by friends but my flyballing/agility pics are mostly by professionals (they'll be creditted if you over your mouse over them).  I really need to update Teal and Drakes pics as they are both changing all the time, it's not really photographing weather atm and trying to keep Drake still is a nightmare!! lol
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x

"The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 02:55:30 PM »
I love border collie's and very sadly lost mine in May 2005.  I then decided to get a working cocker,

Good luck with the baby Michelle :D  Maybe when it is grown up a bit you can give flyball a go, there are quite a few cockers competing, both show and working bred and they do seem relatively easy to train (ahem...we'll see!!); I guess since it's basically a retrieve over hurdles it's pretty much what they were designed for ;)  Cockers have the added advantage that they usually make 'height dogs'...anything under 18" to the shoulder will give the whole team, lower hurdles.  Standard hurdles are 14", Teal currently measures 14" so will run over 10" and Drake is 16" so will run over 12"...those few inches can make quite a bit of difference to the teams overall times.  Which is your local team?
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 02:56:33 PM »
I hope you willl be adding cockersonline to your cocker links now  ;)

Oh yes...I'll have to go do that!!  :D
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 02:59:58 PM »
Welcome to COL. I have 5 show-type cockers but grew up with border collies  ;)

Thanks for the welcome Gill, had a look at your doggies on your website :luv: nice to meet you all ;)
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2006, 03:01:28 PM »
i think jarv (liver working cocker) would love flyball, so will watch drake and teal avidly!

welcome :D

Hiya...is Jarv a handsome chap, what's his breeding??  You should try some flyball...it's very addictive!!
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2006, 03:05:26 PM »
Welcome to COL!  Teal and Drake are  :luv:.  We've got one dog, Milo, a liver working x show Cocker and he's quite enough for us to deal with!  :005:  Milo's Grandad is also Danderw Druid....

Thanks :D  I think two cockers is enough for me! ;)  Teal has been a little angel  :angel: from day one and, although not naughty, Drake is quite a handful...he's finally starting to learn some manners  :D  Danderw Druid has been used quite a lot, most of the dogs I see that I like go back to him or Mallowdale Rackatear which is what really attracted me to Drake.
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2006, 05:01:59 PM »
It was Teal that I fell in love with!  She is gorgeous.  My brother asked if she is a tri colour as I described her as roan and tan, and he reckons that must make her a tri colour (but then he is from Welsh Springer Spaniel traditions, so I have no idea!)  Whatever she is, she is lovely.
Our Saluki cross is a striking creamy colour and everywhere we go, people comment on her grace and beauty.  Unlike our Lab x Springer, when they tend to liken her to a bull in a china shop!  However, we love them both to bits, and in their own ways they are both very intelligent.
We are thinking of going along to a flyball team for Josie (springer x lab) as her retrieve is excellent and she is bomb proof.  The only problem I can see is that we may not be able to take Suki (Saluki cross) as she is quite nervous (she was a rescue, so not had the best start in the confidence lines)  However, we show both of them at companion and fun dog shows in the summer so maybe flyball could be something we could try in the winter!  Having a look around for a good club.  The only local one I have heard of often cancels if the weather is not perfect, so not sure if they are committed or if that is the normal thing to do?  We live in Gillingham, Kent so if anyone here knows of a good place to try, please let me know.
Good luck with your pups.  Am still envious of your life, but maybe we will win the lottery soon.....
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline emmy

• Site Member
  • Louie-blue!
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2006, 07:43:41 PM »
welcome to col  ;)
Louie sends lots of cocker kisses!

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2006, 09:02:32 PM »
I live in rogart, sutherland and both my Oh and my mother have sheep (cheviots).my sister trials at local events, shes just getting into it. our collies are not registered just bred from dogs that work. gibb was the result of a mating between a black and white border collie with tan markings on cheeks and legs and the standarb b&w collie. hers a pic of him.

and of the lovely don who recently passed away,, gibb is missing him dreadfully.

and my lot and some relations.

Im about to buy a new camera as my old one is trying to die on me. so hopefully Ill get some new pics on here soon.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2006, 11:46:53 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL  :D

Teal and Drake are both gorgeous  :luv: , as are your BCs  :luv: but having 13 of them and 2 working cockers must be a full time job!

I have two working cockers, Alfie is blue roan, undocked, 10 months old and a very trying adolescent  >:D :luv: Tilly is two, docked, solid liver girl, she is a rescue and I've had her about 5 weeks now  :luv:  She is fully trained to work, we have been beating already and I am hoping to do a lot more with her next year. Alfie is currently in training but unfortunately his hearing is a bit 'selective' at the moment  ::)  :005:

Look forward to hearing more about your two  :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2006, 08:30:08 AM »
i think jarv (liver working cocker) would love flyball, so will watch drake and teal avidly!

welcome :D

Hiya...is Jarv a handsome chap, what's his breeding??  You should try some flyball...it's very addictive!!

aaah yes, he is a handsome boy with a wonderful nature to match (besotted mother speaking!).  his pedigree is on curtisio's cocker family tree if you do a search.  he is the product of a wonderful solid black working mum and an equally fab liver roan working dad, we chose him not for his pedigree but because we knew the dam very well - she has a superb temperament, is very hardy and healthy, extremely biddable (and is brilliant in the field) and has a lovely shape (small but perfectly formed!!!!)  :luv: :luv: :luv:

hope you enjoy being here, we'll certainly be picking your brains on flyball  ;) :lol:

doubtless that jarv and drake and teal will be related  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2006, 04:58:15 PM »
I live in rogart, sutherland and both my Oh and my mother have sheep (cheviots).my sister trials at local events, shes just getting into it. our collies are not registered just bred from dogs that work. gibb was the result of a mating between a black and white border collie with tan markings on cheeks and legs and the standarb b&w collie.
 Im about to buy a new camera as my old one is trying to die on me. so hopefully Ill get some new pics on here soon.

Ooh I like your collie pup, he looks a lovely shape and that lovely dark chocolate colour...yum!  My friend trials a lot, she is a shepherdess, currently working near Edinburgh but soon moving down to Lockerbie, she also breeds shetland sheep.

All those spaniels sitting neatly on that bench...how sweet!!  What a lovely looking bunch :D

My current camera is a Fujifilm Finepix S7000 which is soon to be obsolete I think as they are bringing out some new models so I bagged a bargain on Amazon £150 and free delivery!!  I have to say I love it!  :D
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006, 05:02:35 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL  :D
I have two working cockers, Alfie is blue roan, undocked, 10 months old and a very trying adolescent  >:D :luv:

Hiya, thanks :D

So it could be a while before Drake grows out of the trying adolescent stage then??  >:D lol  He cocked his leg for the first time last week...he's only 4 half months old!!  My youngest BC who is one on Wednesday still isn't cocking his leg yet!! (I don't mind, I think it's quite sweet that he is a fully grown dog and still squats like a girl!! lol)
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x

Offline Bonnie girl

• Site Member
  • My wee Bonnie Girl
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006, 05:03:19 PM »
As i am completly new to owning a cocker - what is flyball?