Author Topic: working or show  (Read 3906 times)

Offline lindsay.zelly

• Site Member
working or show
« on: February 03, 2007, 09:54:59 PM »
i know i might sound a bit stupid but how can you tell the difference is a show cocker and a working cocker?

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Re: working or show
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 10:10:10 PM »
Have never done a linky think for a topic - but if it works ............... this may help?

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=24314.msg314903#msg314903

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 10:13:20 PM »
Or this:
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=24314.0

The question comes up quite a lot. Look on the photo section for working cockers and you will see loads of pictures of working strain as opposed to show strain.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline lindsay.zelly

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 10:21:06 AM »
thank you both so much. i was confused as i have never owned a cocker before and then i began meeting lost of other cocker owners when out walking and i could see a physical difference in show and working types but one lady says that Popy is a working cocker but i don't totally agree as she seems to have more feathers to her hair and longer ears than a typical working cocker. 

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 12:20:39 PM »
i began meeting lost of other cocker owners when out walking and i could see a physical difference in show and working types but one lady says that Popy is a working cocker but i don't totally agree

You should be able to tell from her pedigree whether Poppy is from show or working lines, or a mixture of the two  :-\ Did you meet her dame? Was she show or working ?  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 12:39:57 PM »
i know i might sound a bit stupid but how can you tell the difference is a show cocker and a working cocker?

As an owner of both types believe me they are different beasts indeed.
they look  loads different for a start.
Put my show boy  oliver in a field of bunnies and he would look for the nearest lamp post to pee up but Douglas and Bayley however come alive noses to the floor and tails and backends waggling so quick i can't keep up.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline lindsay.zelly

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 02:49:45 PM »
i think she is possibly a mix of the two but a lady who walks near us says she is a working cocker but she doesn't look like one to me!!  :huh:

i doesn't really matter as she is just perfect but i was just interested to know.

we did not meet Popy's mum as we got her from the local kennels and her certificate just says breed: cocker spaniel.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 03:29:25 PM »
we did not meet Popy's mum as we got her from the local kennels and her certificate just says breed: cocker spaniel.

That's a shame - good breeders will always have Mum and other relatives to show to their puppy buyers. Didn't the kennels give you a pedigree certificate? You should always be given a copy of the pedigree when buying a puppy. If you have Popy's KC registration certificate, you could buy a 5 generation pedigree from the Kennel Club if you are interested in finding out her background.
Jane

Offline Woody P

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 04:58:42 PM »
I met a lady last summer while on holiday on Exmoor, and she told me the difference was in the length of the nose.

Working cockers have longer noses than show dogs. My Woody has a shorter nose than my neighbour's dog, but he still spends all his time with nose to the ground and chasing every bird within 100 yards. I guess then that idea is not proven.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 05:17:48 PM »
Don't think that really holds true although it's a nice idea ;) Some Working Cockers may have longer muzzles than some show type dogs but it doesn't always work like that - there's a little Working Cocker bitch I see locally who has a short, square muzzle but is definitely a worker not a show-type girl.
Jane

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 09:20:28 PM »

That's a shame - good breeders will always have Mum and other relatives to show to their puppy buyers. Didn't the kennels give you a pedigree certificate? You should always be given a copy of the pedigree when buying a puppy. If you have Popy's KC registration certificate, you could buy a 5 generation pedigree from the Kennel Club if you are interested in finding out her background.

I think Popy might be a rescue dog and a lot of rescues will not give pedigree papers out with the dogs even if they have them. I have Tilly's but I think that's more the exception than the rule.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 10:30:35 PM »
I missed seeing the pedigree from the other thread - thanks Rhona ;) Looks like mainly commercial show-type breeding - can't see any obvious working lines. Not sure if Popy is a rescue or not as her pedigree is known?
Jane

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 10:39:33 PM »
Don't think that really holds true although it's a nice idea ;) Some Working Cockers may have longer muzzles than some show type dogs but it doesn't always work like that - there's a little Working Cocker bitch I see locally who has a short, square muzzle but is definitely a worker not a show-type girl.

Mich's Poppy who is most defo worker has a square muscle too :luv: very similiar to my Nancy who is all show!!!! :lol:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 10:41:49 PM »
I must be thinking of somebody else.. oops!  ::) ph34r
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/