Author Topic: working or show  (Read 3904 times)

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
Re: working or show
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 11:13:50 PM »
[Working cockers have longer noses than show dogs/quote]

rolos nose looks like he hit a wall at speed.. ;) and hes a worker.   hes certainly got a square muzzle,  its also glued to the ground.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 11:18:09 PM »
Alfie and Tilly both have really long noses, you can see in the signature pictures below... more for me to snuzz though  :005:  :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline lindsay.zelly

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 06:17:47 PM »
thank you for all the help everybody!!

Offline lindsay.zelly

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 06:24:22 PM »
we have got a pedigree certificate but breed just says cocker spaniel!! i thought she was a show or maybe a mix when i noticed the difference but before owning Popy i din't know there was two types as she is my first pedigree dog but then i got thinking when a lady said she was a working type as i did not think she looked the same as those i had seen pictures of.

thank you again for your help x

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 06:40:59 PM »
we have got a pedigree certificate but breed just says cocker spaniel!! i thought she was a show or maybe a mix when i noticed the difference but before owning Popy i din't know there was two types as she is my first pedigree dog but then i got thinking when a lady said she was a working type as i did not think she looked the same as those i had seen pictures of.

thank you again for your help x

The pedigree certificate will only say the breed is a cocker spaniel as both 'show' and 'working' are types or lines of the same breed. You can normally tell by the parents/grandparents/gt grandparents etc. as some of them will be well known by their breeders kennel names. If there are letters after any dogs name in the pedigree, that can also give a clue, FTCH for example means they are Field Trial Champions and they are usually working strain, SHCH means Show Champion and they are show strain.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline lindsay.zelly

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 03:52:20 PM »
hi yes a fellow COL user has looked at her family tree and says she looks to be commercial show type!!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 03:57:50 PM »
thank you both so much. i was confused as i have never owned a cocker before and then i began meeting lost of other cocker owners when out walking and i could see a physical difference in show and working types but one lady says that Popy is a working cocker but i don't totally agree as she seems to have more feathers to her hair and longer ears than a typical working cocker.

hmmm....you'll find when you go walking that a lot of people know more about your dog then you do :shades: 

i think that you'll have to do the nodding, smiling and agreeing thing to this lady's face, and wander off knowing that she really doesn't know your dog at all.

that's what i do when i'm told my dog is not a working cocker, he's a springer spaniel, or a small pointer :005:
helen & jarvis x

Penel

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 04:10:54 PM »

hmmm....you'll find when you go walking that a lot of people know more about your dog then you do :shades: 

i think that you'll have to do the nodding, smiling and agreeing thing to this lady's face, and wander off knowing that she really doesn't know your dog at all.

that's what i do when i'm told my dog is not a working cocker, he's a springer spaniel, or a small pointer :005:

actually I think you'll find yours is a Milk Chocolate Gayhound  :005: a very very rare type of dog, known for their love of pink. :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 04:14:19 PM »

actually I think you'll find yours is a Milk Chocolate Gayhound  :005: a very very rare type of dog, known for their love of pink. :005:

HOW VERY DARE YOU!  i keep on telling you his lust for mich's bailey was a temporary aberration  :rofl1:
helen & jarvis x

Offline lindsay.zelly

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 11:17:23 PM »
:005:   :005:   :005:

yes i wouldn't have minded so much but she doesn't even have a cocker she has a poodle!!

Offline RainbowClaire

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 12:08:27 AM »
My Puppy Bonnie has a very long skinny pointy nose -  It's definitely different to my other cocker who is all show. Bonnie is all show apart form one line of working in her history  :huh: sorry to go off topic slightly  ph34r
Shophie and Bonnie's family :)

Offline lindsay.zelly

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 06:41:47 PM »
thats ok i think Popy is show or a mix but it is hard to tell with some cockers and with others it is obvious which they are!