Author Topic: Does anyone feed their dog a home cooked diet?  (Read 4665 times)

Cazzie

Re: Does anyone feed their dog a home cooked diet?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 03:06:26 PM »
If feeding home cooked and raw diets, can you explain how you know that youre dogs are getting the correct amount of nutrients to maintain long lasting health. Also I would like to know why with these diets some people have to give their dogs extra suppliments such as various tablets to top their diets up. As I am not a vet nor a nutritionist, I would like to know how it is calculated and where I can find a guide that tells me everything I should be feeding my dogs from JRT to Labrador on a raw or home cooked diet.  :blink: Thanks.

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 03:14:08 PM »
If feeding home cooked and raw diets, can you explain how you know that youre dogs are getting the correct amount of nutrients to maintain long lasting health. Also I would like to know why with these diets some people have to give their dogs extra suppliments such as various tablets to top their diets up. As I am not a vet nor a nutritionist, I would like to know how it is calculated and where I can find a guide that tells me everything I should be feeding my dogs from JRT to Labrador on a raw or home cooked diet.  :blink: Thanks.

I don't think it can be as exact as you seem to think Cazzie, do you worry as much about what you eat yourself? Each dog is an individual in the same way you and I are.

I think most people have a good idea of what they should eat and weigh etc. but how many of us stick to a rigid calculated diet ?

Cazzie

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 03:46:59 PM »

I don't think it can be as exact as you seem to think Cazzie, do you worry as much about what you eat yourself? Each dog is an individual in the same way you and I are.

I think most people have a good idea of what they should eat and weigh etc. but how many of us stick to a rigid calculated diet ?

I see what you mean, but I have a choice of what to eat, my dogs dont, they rely on me giving them everything they need for a well balanced diet.  I am concerned about what I eat, but if I had the choice Id eat red meat everyday of the week with naan bread, coke and nothing else, im sure my health would suffer in later life if If I maintained this diet.

What I was asking is how do we know feeding raw & homecooked diets to our dogs that they are receiving the correct nutrients and was asking about a guide to feeding these kind of diets  :blink

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 04:00:32 PM »
 ;)
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 04:21:21 PM »
 ;) I feed a mixture of cooked lamb or beef heart, cooked minced turkey,beef and pork, and occasional liver and kidney, sometimes tinned sardines,tuna, cottage cheese  and I add raw pureed or finely grated veg (all kinds except raw onion and raw potato ,) and cooked brown rice. I add a teaspoon of Wafcol bonemeal for it's calcium content and every other day they get a fish oil capsule in the food
I will also use up any left over cooked veg to bulk out the meal. I also give raw veg and fruit as treats. (they do have others as well)

The quantities vary, I keep a check on their weight and if they are looking overweight or underweight, I adjust accordingly I don't get too hung up on quantities now although I must admit at first it did bother me a bit. You will soon get to know by looking at your dog whether you've got the balance right.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 06:36:53 PM »
well I did a huge post but it dissapeared  ::) I dont have time right now as im off out but ill repost later :005: my 7 dogs are on home cooked food and doing fab on it

..funny I remember that Nic and searched for it the other day and couldnt find it ..am thinking of trying it for my two ..if you have time to post again that would be great  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 12:07:23 AM »
Cazzzie - 'The BARF Diet' is a good book to start with. It explains everything a dog should have, why and in what proportions.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 12:23:06 AM »
I was just reading an article on home cooked diets yesterday. It said that the goal, as with BARF, is not so much to balance every meal, but to achieve the balance over the course of a week. It recommended variety as the best way to do this, as for example lamb does not have the fat or protien that chicken or fish do.

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Cazzie

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 07:57:47 AM »
Cazzzie - 'The BARF Diet' is a good book to start with. It explains everything a dog should have, why and in what proportions.

Will get it thanks. The reason I am interested is I know how difficult home cooked diets can be, my wee shrekkie was on them during his wee short life, he was an exception though bt it was still ex hard knowing that he was getting the nutrients he needed. I found you were tempted to over feed.  :-\

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 10:58:47 AM »
I have started a new topic 'Factsheets from Burns'  which gives lots of information regarding feeding home cooked as well as his own product  ;)  Also
http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/homecooking.htm

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »

;)
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Beanie

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2007, 02:46:58 PM »
So if you cook the food, how do they get bones ?  I am happy with Raw but my other half isn't and wants us to cook - maisy loves both  :005:

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2007, 05:09:30 PM »
It sounds really interesting ..thanks Jann and Nic for the info  ;)  ..I wouldnt mind at all cooking the food for them, but as they both tend to be on the tubby side  :005: wouldnt know what quantities to give them  :huh:
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 07:27:26 PM »
So if you cook the food, how do they get bones ?  I am happy with Raw but my other half isn't and wants us to cook - maisy loves both  :005:

I add bonemeal to the food  ;)

Offline Beanie

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 07:59:40 PM »
Bonemeal eh! where would I get that? (sorry if I sound like a air head  :005:)