Author Topic: Quick feeding question  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Cobaltblue

• Site Member
Quick feeding question
« on: June 02, 2007, 12:57:03 PM »
A bit of COL wisdom needed here please ...

William is being fed JW Puppy Performance kibble at suggested rates for his breed and size.  He seems to go on and off kibble and I have changed his feed from the one the breeder recommended as his poos were a bit runny and he'd often leave it. 

For the last few days, I've been giving him a small portion (about a tablespoon) of lean beef mince which I've boiled with a little carrot.  I add it to his kibble (cutting down on the portion size of kibble) and he loves it.  I've noticed his poos are much firmer and (dare I say it  :shades:) his temperament is quieter.  I'm thinking of continuing with this diet, but am worried that it may not be a good idea in the long term.  He's five and a half months old.

Any thoughts?

Cazzie

Re: Quick feeding question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 01:06:27 PM »
Dont think there is anything wrong in doing that as long as he gets the correct amound of his dry food. Pheasant mince is good too their isnt 1oz of fat in it  ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 01:42:09 PM »
That's fine, I add something to Tilly's dry food every day as well, usually Naturediet, sardines & egg or tripe but sometimes mince and vegetables as well.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline scoby007

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 05:36:03 PM »
Hi Guys

On this topic, we have been giving Sam dry food now for some time and he has been getting kinda sick of the same stuff so we have added in some tripe and he loves it, does anyone forsee a problem with this?

S

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 05:59:43 PM »
Hi Guys

On this topic, we have been giving Sam dry food now for some time and he has been getting kinda sick of the same stuff so we have added in some tripe and he loves it, does anyone forsee a problem with this?

S

If he can tolerate it, then it won't do any harm - it is very fattening, so as he gets older, you may need to adjust the quantities you give him to prevent him getting podgy, though  ;)
If you get to the point where you are considering replacing his dry food with a raw diet, then if you search old threads for the word "BARF", then you will find lots of advice  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline scoby007

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 06:02:59 PM »
What would you suggest to be an alternative to tripe?  As we like to mix something with the dry food

S

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 06:18:49 PM »
What would you suggest to be an alternative to tripe?  As we like to mix something with the dry food

S

I didn't want to put you off the tripe - it is one of the most natural things you can add  :D

Complete foods are just that - if you mess with them to much you do run the risk of creating a fussy dog, though  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline scoby007

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 08:27:02 PM »
so u think a little bit of tripe mixed with the dry food will work out just fine?

S

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 08:30:37 PM »
Tripe is fine yes. Other things you could try are Nature Diet or Nature's Menu wet foods (available from Pets at Home), minced meat (beef, turkey, lamb, chicken and pork are all fine as long as your dog has no allergies), tinned sardines and raw or scrambled eggs. I give Tilly all these things with her dry food... not all at once obviously  :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline piewwiew

• Site Member
  • MAGIC
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 08:35:11 AM »
i don't have a clue about feeding myself but my vet said to me yesterday that i must give absolutely no human food ever, i thought to myself that after sometime, my dog will get board with just dry, day in day out so i was told by various people that he can have chicken or scrambled egg or rice or tripe and many other things.

obviously begging at the table is not good and i don't wish him to put on too much weight but i can tell you that i will be ignoring my vet the very second magic stops eating because he is board other bits will be added. perhaps I'm wrong but surely its better a dog eats half and half than none at all. ph34r

teresa xxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 08:53:52 AM »
i don't have a clue about feeding myself but my vet said to me yesterday that i must give absolutely no human food ever, i thought to myself that after sometime, my dog will get board with just dry, day in day out so i was told by various people that he can have chicken or scrambled egg or rice or tripe and many other things.

................... i can tell you that i will be ignoring my vet the very second magic stops eating because he is board other bits will be added. perhaps I'm wrong but surely its better a dog eats half and half than none at all. ph34r

Just because you can doesn't mean you have to ;)

Its about striking the balance which sadly many owners are not able to do. By deciding that they are bored with their food and giving them extras you can create a fussy eater so just be aware ;) They can be like kids and very clever at knowing what buttons to press. No healthy dog ever starved when food was offered. Bear that in mind. Follow a strict routine and you are less likely to have problems. Create an unstable routine where one look of those puppy dog eyes gets them what they want and prepare for problems.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 08:56:57 AM »

obviously begging at the table is not good and i don't wish him to put on too much weight but i can tell you that i will be ignoring my vet the very second magic stops eating because he is board other bits will be added. perhaps I'm wrong but surely its better a dog eats half and half than none at all. ph34r

teresa xxxxxxxxxxxx

By all means feed your dog what you are happy with - but a healthy dog will not starve itself - so if you stick with dry, he will eat it, if that is all that you offer him  ;)

Of course, lots of people add extra tasty bits and bobs to their dogs dinner, but this can lead to the dog not eating the dry food on it's own with as much enthusiasm, so their owners add more yummy extras........and it can create a fussy dog  ;)  I suspect a lot of vets have seen overweight dogs whose owners have been caught out like this - by the time they realise there is a problem, the dog won't eat dry food at all - and the owners are too involved to be able to withhold treats if the dog doesn't eat  ;)

If you ever think you will rely on dog sitters, kennels or relatives to look after your dog, then imo it is a lot easier if you can hand over a bag of dry food, rather than complicated instructions on what extra yummies have to be added to each meal  :005:
Oldies Club

Offline piewwiew

• Site Member
  • MAGIC
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 09:00:33 AM »
oh i see, if they get board - do they eat it in the end because they are hungry - the only reason i say this is one year i bought hay for my pony it looked good, smelt good but my pony point blank refused this batch and he wouldnt eat for three days i didnt know what was wrong - bought a different batch and he ate it - he would have rather starved than ate it - may have had foxes wee on it or something.  If my dog will eat the dry in the end without health risks then i will stick to it and wait it out if its really the best thing for him.

thank you pammy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Cobaltblue

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 09:23:21 AM »
Horses are different though PW.  Although my pony's temperament did improve when I changed his diet to a non-heating one and  I was just wondering whether it happened with dogs as well. 

IWLass's point about handing over dry food to the kennels is easier than complicated menus of fresh is a good one  ;)