Author Topic: One meal or two? I'm dithering...  (Read 4294 times)

Cazzie

Re: One meal or two? I'm dithering...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 10:20:18 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys, I think I might give the 'Freya diet' a go and give them a snack in the morning and then one main meal at around 5pm so we'll see how it goes  :D

Or the other way around  :-\ , good idea might do that myself  :blink: , what involved in the snack?  :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 10:29:32 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys, I think I might give the 'Freya diet' a go and give them a snack in the morning and then one main meal at around 5pm so we'll see how it goes  :D

Or the other way around  :-\ , good idea might do that myself  :blink: , what involved in the snack?  :D

If my two had their way it would be toast with butter, even if they don't want their own breakfast they always want mine  ::)  But because I'm a mean Mum it'll probably be some biscuits, a few dog bakery chicken bones or something as they're quite big.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 07:43:30 AM »
My two at the mo are mithering me for Brekky and then again at 4pm once the kids get in from school they'll be mithering for their tea  ::)

They will both scrouge thro the day if they get half the chance as well

I give half the food in morning and the other half in the evening (7.30 / 8am and 4.30 / 5pm)

Hope you get them sorted to what suits you and them  ;)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 11:40:37 AM »
I thought about putting Bella onto one meal a while ago as she's on BARF but has mini portions as she's prone to, how shall we put it, "cocker-spread"  :luv: :lol:.

She's on BARF so I had the same thing with how to get her a good sized boney meal plus some muscle meat without going over her ration limit, but then someone on here pointed out that they don't have to have the same amount of food every day, you just need to even it out over the week. So she gets her main boney meal in the morning and then a tiny little portion of mince in the evenings with her veg.

I give her half a chicken back (about 90g) 2 mornings a week, breast of lamb (around 120g) twice a week, and then tripe or fish the other mornings, but the chicken and lamb balance out as she should get around 150g per day total, and the chicken back has no skin or fat whereas the lamb does.

Her evening meal is a measly little 40g of mince with some veg but she still lives for it and starts harrassing me at 4.30 for her 6pm feed....

I feel sorry for her as baby half-bro Zorro is as lean as a little beanpole and gets to have 300g every single day, so Bella gets a measly half a chicken back and he gets two big fat chicken wings complete with skin, or she gets two lamb ribs and he gets four, poor little Bella....  :luv:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 12:32:13 PM »
I feed my dogs twice a day, however if they are fussy on breakfast it is taken away and no tea is given. I start again the day after fresh breakfast is given and tea only follows if breakfast is eaten. Mine know the routine and to be fair tea is much more exciting than breakfast but I won't bend on this one. My dogs aren't fussy and they hardly ever consider leaving any meal, especially my girls. Logan has only gone off food when there's a whiff of a sexy lady in the house.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 07:19:30 PM »
I thought about putting Bella onto one meal a while ago as she's on BARF but has mini portions as she's prone to, how shall we put it, "cocker-spread"  :luv: :lol:.

I feel sorry for her as baby half-bro Zorro is as lean as a little beanpole and gets to have 300g every single day, so Bella gets a measly half a chicken back and he gets two big fat chicken wings complete with skin, or she gets two lamb ribs and he gets four, poor little Bella....  :luv:

Aww Bella Tilly says she totally sympathises with you cos she is prone to getting a wee bit podgy around the middle too and her annoying lil'bro is also a skinnymalink without a single ounce of fat on him so when they're getting their morning biscuits he has 4 and poor Tills only gets a measly 2 (I break them in half to make it seem like more for her  :005:).

Despite his skinniness though Alfie's still such a big, chunky boy he gets Bella and Zorro's rations combined every day plus treats and still never puts on any weight  :o  :005:

We've started today with the new plan so they had some (large!) Dog Bakery barbecue bone biscuits each for their breakfast then their main feed at 3pm after their big lunchtime walk. They've just been for their individual evening training sessions and are now happily snoozing so they'll get some tuna bread at bedtime and that will be them for the day.

Cazzie

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 09:21:25 PM »
Tuna bread  :-\ Tell me more  :D

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 09:31:07 PM »
I'll bring the recipes down on sat Cazzie  ;)

Cazzie

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 09:32:04 PM »
I'll bring the recipes down on sat Cazzie  ;)
Great thanks Cazza  ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 09:38:03 PM »

Tuna bread recipe from Willow's Kitchen...

1 tin of tuna in oil (if you have brine, drain it and add some oil or water to the mix)
80g plain flour
1 egg
sprinkle of garlic powder

Put the tuna, garlic powder and egg in a bowl, mix with a spoon. Then add the flour gradually until it all binds together (add less or more flour as you need).

Pour onto a microwaveable plate and put in the microwave for 4 minutes, turn onto a wire rack to cool and cut into small training sized cubes.

Or if like me you don't have a mike then pour the mix onto a baking tray and bung in the oven at 200 degrees until it is slightly crispy at the edges and springy in the middle like a cake. I also double up on the quantities and make a big batch all at once and freeze some of it so 2 tins of tuna etc.

Once you've cut it up you can put it back in the oven again and crisp it up a bit, this makes it easier to carry around and you can also use sardines or any canned fish instead of tuna. My two love it, it's healthy and low fat, doesn't stink like liver cake and even I can make it  :005:

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 09:38:13 PM »
Theres a recipe here too Cazzie  :D. Scroll down the page.

http://www.itsaspringthing.co.uk/willows%20kitchen.htm

Ooops  sorry Nicola. Have just duplicated!  ::)  :005:  ph34r  :embarassed:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Cazzie

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 09:47:42 PM »
Gosh thats fantastic thanks, im going to make that tomorrow  :shades:, we are always baking here for the day care dogs Oh and mine of course they love it, must get some wee aprons and chefs hats for them  :005: . They like to all lick the bowls and spoons after  :005:

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 10:06:25 PM »
I used to feed mine twice a day until a couple of weeks ago. They were faffing about with there food so much I now feed them once a day at about 4pm.

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!