Author Topic: Colour and amount of coat  (Read 777 times)

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
Colour and amount of coat
« on: June 11, 2007, 10:29:45 AM »
Hi everyone,

I’m looking into getting a cocker some time next year and just doing a bit of research!   I’ve read a couple of cocker books and both mentioned that Black and blue roan cockers have more coat/feathering and orange roans for example have less.  Is this true? 

I’ve not really decided on a colour yet but was swaying towards orange roans and if this is the case with the coat then I might be swayed even more!  Being a beginner and wanting to try all the grooming myself, less coat might be a better start!

Love

Becky
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Re: Colour and amount of coat
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
 :lol2:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 12:05:47 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I didn't think of the dirt showing up more! ha ha!

I think even just the fact that you say they are easier to strip and it doesn't grow back as fast might help!  I'm a beginer but I do want to do it myself so starting with the easiest coat sounds like the best option!  Plus I liked the orange roans anyway!
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 01:14:17 AM »
It really varies, there are no hard and fast rules. Best bet is to look at the parents (and grandparents if you can) to get an idea of how much coat the pup may carry.
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 09:19:34 AM »
We have two very heavily coated oranges who take a lot of work stripping out (especially our Jimmy whose coat grows as soon as you look at it :D) so they are not always easier than other colours. I wouldn't choose a colour based on ease of grooming as you could be disappointed - some oranges do have easy coats but others don't (you can get both types in the same litter too)
Jane