Author Topic: Treats for Training Class  (Read 3420 times)

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
Re: Treats for Training Class
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 12:39:31 PM »
All mine is usually eaten in one training session with 2 dogs, but if I do have any left, it seems ok for about a week in the fridge.
Kate, Fudge (Orange Roan 11 years)

Mollie (RIP 19/11/20 aged 15 1/2 years old)
Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 12:51:35 PM »
how long does it keep for - anyone know?

A few days in the fridge but you can freeze it too.

I use tuna bread, I also adapted that recipe to make a cheese bread as Morgan is a cheese fiend.  The other thing that I use and is their most favourite training treat is beef and garlic balls.  You do have to make it Janey, but its dead simple. I'm not chef but I do make my dogs treats! The beef and garlic balls are easy just a bit time consuming, as you have to make the balls from the mixture. However they hold together fantastically and you can just break off bits throughout the class which works out really well.

Approx 500g of beef mince - you could use lamb, or chicken / turkey too.
About a dessertspoon of garlic powder.
2 eggs
Oatmeal

Mix the mince with the eggs, and the garlic powder. Then take off tiny pieces at a time and make into tiny balls, and roll those in the oatmeal to coat them. Put on baking tray and cook in a low oven about 150c for about half an hour - the oatmeal doesn't really brown, it just changes slightly to a golden colour.
I bag them up, enough to last one training session, and then freeze them.  You can make loads out of these quantities.

At home they have other homemade biscuits in various varieties - peanut butter, garlic, salmon and salmon & tuna.

Hurley will sell his soul for the Natures Menu treats..... in fact I think they went down quite well with all the dogs on the recent COL meet.

http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/products/treats/dogs/

In fact his recall has begun to improve dramatically when he knows I've got these in my pocket  :lol:

I use these sometimes too, my lot love them as well.

I also use these - cut in half and Sam loves them.

I have used these in the past before I started to make treats. They always went down well, but just to let you know the beef flavour one have alot of colourings in whereas the chicken ones don't have any colourings in.  I avoid colourings at all costs as they make Sapphi bounce off the walls, and the others can get hyper too with them.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 07:18:43 PM »
Janey,

Tuna bread is soooo easy to make.  I made this for the 1st time tonight and I'm not any Jamie Oliver!!!   :005:

Don't get it me wrong, it didn't smell great in the microwave, but Sam loved it!!!

Go on, you know you want to!!!!   ;)
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 08:58:53 PM »

2 eggs
Oatmeal

Mix the mince with the eggs, and the garlic powder. Then take off tiny pieces at a time and make into tiny balls, and roll those in the oatmeal to coat them.

What size are the tiny balls?  About the size of a 10p or smaller?

Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 10:10:29 PM »

2 eggs
Oatmeal

Mix the mince with the eggs, and the garlic powder. Then take off tiny pieces at a time and make into tiny balls, and roll those in the oatmeal to coat them.

No, bigger than that. As they don't fall apart and you can break bits off you can make them bigger, say approx 3cm at the widest part of the ball.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 10:15:38 PM »

2 eggs
Oatmeal

No, bigger than that. As they don't fall apart and you can break bits off you can make them bigger, say approx 3cm at the widest part of the ball.

Thanks for the guidance, I am going to make some tomorrow when the oatmeal is delivered with my shopping from Tescos :D

Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)