Author Topic: help with grass seeds  (Read 1000 times)

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
help with grass seeds
« on: October 16, 2007, 12:45:25 PM »
why is it that i have never heard of this problem other than reading about it on here?  Bailey goes on lots of long walks in long grass and i am worrying about this now.  Is it a common problem and is it something i should be looking for regularly?     :huh:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: help with grass seeds
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 12:52:53 PM »
You'll know if it happens  ;)  I think it really is just bad luck and random, really...............................Molo had a grass seed in his ear when he was just over a year old after a walk somewhere not particularly grassy - and despite walking him across high-seeded areas daily for the last three years, he has never had one since........ :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 12:55:36 PM »
It's a particular type of grass seed you need to watch out for - you can see photos of them HERE. They seem to be a lot more common in some areas than others - eg Gill ( in Dundee) has never seen one but they've been a nightmare in London/South East this year ... I had to avoid massive areas of the park this summer, I was forever checking the dog's coats for them during and after walks but Misty still had to have 2 removed from inside her ears.

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 12:57:06 PM »
thanks.  Had a look at the link and they dont seem to be familiar to me but i will know what to look for now.  :blink:

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 01:21:57 PM »
A couple of weeks ago we decided to have a change of scenery and walk on Epsom Downs, usually we stick to the common, as its right outside the front dooor, lo and behold abut half an hour later George started to put his head on one side and shake his head, so at 6.30 in the evening rushed him down to the Vets and yes it was the dreaded grass seed >:D and lots of sand down there ph34r where he had decided to roll, where the horses run. the Vet was very good and did try to get it out without sedation, but too much for my boy :'( so he was sedated and the dreaded seed wipped out in seconds. we shall now avoid this area :shades:
hopefully we are getting towards the end of the grass seed season.
stephanie xx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Poppy W

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 10:26:40 AM »
I posted a thread about Percy and his grass seed op. I have to say that this is the first time I've had this problem (and had a cocker before Percy) but Percy does seem particularly prone to getting twigs, leaves, grass seeds, thorns etc. tangled in his coat (he is a golden and has blonde feathering etc,). My black cocker's coat didn't tangle anywhere near as much.

We've decided to keep his coat trimmed reasonably short from now on...I don't want him having to go back to the vets for another op!

Offline GrahamT

• Site Member
  • kie 9 months (photo tracy morgan)
    • http://www.jalankiucockerspaniels.com
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »
hi my wife always puts the dogs snoods on when she takes ours it saves big vet bills as we found out £400 later  ;)

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 11:06:59 AM »
hi my wife always puts the dogs snoods on when she takes ours it saves big vet bills as we found out £400 later  ;)

I bought my 2 snoods......look really silly. Bramble got a grass seed in her paw while wearing her snood.  >:( The things get everywhere.

I invested in those new JML tweezers. They have a really strong ligt on the end and I use them while inspecting the dogs' paws. I pulled about 5 seeds from the fur between Poppy's toes a few weeks ago.
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 01:37:59 PM »
I can't believe these blasted things (could use stronger words but am restraining myself :005: ph34r) are still about!....when will our little babies be safe.......I think the safe option for all dog owners is to walk away from long grass and religously check their coats, eyes, ears, mouths (from past experience) and naughty bits....and I am seriously thinking about investing in a snood.

My worry is should Fenn recover from all this and starts going on shoots.....god each time I will be living with my heart in my mouth!! ph34r
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x