Author Topic: Dry Food  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Re: Dry Food
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 10:25:52 PM »
Big burns fan here  :D

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 10:38:50 PM »
I think JWB is a good food and although it is connected with Pedigree it is run independently so I am prepared to accept their ethical position!  ;) As has been said it depends how far you want to take your ethical stand  :shades:  I feed it to my cats and it is more widely available round me than the other two good ones that I have used which are Burns and Arden Grange.  If you have a Waitrose near you they have started selling AG dog food.  All of these companies are very helpful and you can usually order some samples or supplies via their websites even if you can't buy it in your local petshop  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 11:49:14 PM »
Sometimes you just have to be sensible. Its all very well being ethical but when it comes to the well being of your pet/child/self, you sometimes have to let whats in their best interests take precedence. I wouldnt refuse medication thats been tested on animals, nor would I not feed a brand of food if thats the food that my dogs done best on
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 08:10:29 AM »
Roxy  :luv:  started her life on Eukanuba and she was a little  >:D. After reading the posts on here about it and doing some investigating at 10 weeks we changed her over to Burns. What a transformation She's now 19 weeks old and absolutely thriving. She woolfs her food down everytime, She has a beautiful coat and is no longer hyperactive  >:D  to the point of being concerned. Also her no 2's are much better they are harder and less frequent, down to 2 a day unless she gets a carrot.....She loves carrots! (and i love her  :luv::005:
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 01:22:17 PM »
Decided to go for jwb, its easier to get and has less crap in than most other foods available near me.  I was thinking of putting just a little chappie meat in with it as a few people have said that is good for aiding digestion and baileys tummy is quite often a bit dicky.  Also that will add a bit of taste as after all the additives and flavourings  in bakers he may not be impressed with the jwb! Will just have to turn a blind eye on the ethical front with that one if it turns out to be the best food for him, you cant do everything right all the time!  Think its going to be trial and error  ::)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 03:48:41 PM »
Decided to go for jwb, its easier to get and has less crap in than most other foods available near me.  I was thinking of putting just a little chappie meat in with it as a few people have said that is good for aiding digestion and baileys tummy is quite often a bit dicky.  Also that will add a bit of taste as after all the additives and flavourings  in bakers he may not be impressed with the jwb! Will just have to turn a blind eye on the ethical front with that one if it turns out to be the best food for him, you cant do everything right all the time!  Think its going to be trial and error  ::)

If you can, I would try the JWB on its own first - although Chappie is recommended by many for dogs with for sensitive tummies, it is not necessary to mix complete foods, and the Chappie won't "settle" his tummy as such - its just useful when other foods have failed, if you see what I mean  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 05:54:17 PM »
Just thought if he didnt seem very interested in the jwb a bit of meat might tempt him, just a couple of spoonfulls.  The vet thinks hes in good condition but he looks too thin to me so could do with fattening up abit.  He looks especially thin now as had him clipped.

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 06:06:04 PM »
I usually pour a little bit of hot water on the dry food to release the flavours a bit, seems to help! I also give a small dollop of meat to mine, doesn't do any harm. They'd eat it without any meat though.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 06:22:33 PM »
If you don't mind forking out a bit more and ordering it from Zooplus there is a dry food called Orijen which I keep toying with the idea of ordering for my lot to try. It is 70% high quality meat and 30% fruit and vegetables and nothing else. It looks very good but is expensive.

My lot are currently on Arden Grange and it is great though, they do really well on it even Alfie who never really puts on weight and didn't get on well on either Burns or a wholly BARF diet.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 09:17:02 PM »
Burns is a fantastic food for some but Ben looked very slim (underfed) and was constantly hungry above and beyond normal cocker greediness!  I switched to Arden Grange with great results - he loves the food and looks good on it - I do measure his portions though and reduce them to allow for his treats  ;)  When I can't get hold of this (forgot to order) then he has JWB.  This is also great for Ben.

I also feed natural raw food occasionally courtesy of the freezer at the local stockist.  It comes in handy one day packs and Ben loves it!  I don't mix dry food and raw but thats just my way of thinking  ;)

Offline Bev

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2007, 09:25:13 PM »
i have allways  fed arnie on jwb.never had a problem with him on it.got a lovely coat as well dont no if its the food.very soft and shinney.

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2007, 06:18:48 PM »
Until I changed the dogs to BARF they were on JWB for years & thrived on it; if I wanted to use a dry food again I would certainly go back to it.

Sometimes you just have to be sensible. Its all very well being ethical but when it comes to the well being of your pet/child/self, you sometimes have to let whats in their best interests take precedence. I wouldnt refuse medication thats been tested on animals, nor would I not feed a brand of food if thats the food that my dogs done best on

I would totally agree with this. ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline mad 4 cockers

• Site Member
  • Alfie & Charlie
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2007, 08:35:20 PM »
Feed my two on Wainwrights from Pets at Home
Jane

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2007, 10:05:19 AM »
All mine do really well on James Wellbeloved.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Trischie

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2007, 07:02:14 PM »
Hi - remember me from the last discussion?

I got to thinking about the Eukanuba stuff too after all that extra info. I was impressed that the Arden Grange people had a supplier in Germany and ordered a tester set. Oscar really really wolfed it down, like I hadn't fed him for weeks! He is also drinking a lot more too. The delivery was really fast and payment was easy. It's double what I paid for Eukanuba, but if he continues enjoying his food so much, and I'm happy feeding with a good conscience, then the price is worth it.

Just need to get my own eating morals sorted now - all those fats and E-numbers! If I ate as healthily as Oscar, I bet I'd have a figure and shiny hair like - errr,  think of someone sexy.

Chris & Co.